Guitar Center

Updated Feb 18, 2015

2.2

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guitar Center in January 2008.

I was an Assistant Manager at one of the Guitar Center stores when a position opened at corporate for which I was recommended by many people. I was told that the job was mine for the taking - I simply had to jump through the hoops of the interviews. Upon arriving at headquarters, the person interviewing me - who would be my boss - proceeded to immediately start talking down to me and began insulting my store's manager. I could not see myself working for this jackass. Upon returning home, to my amazement jackass called me with an offer - which was half the amount he had initially offered before I flew out for the interview. Worst experience of my life.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you and the rest of your staff suck at promoting our events?   Answer Question

The offer was pathetically low - and my life would have completely sucked working for such a jackass.

Recording Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mays Landing, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Mays Landing, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guitar Center in January 2009.

very poor

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in January 2011.

The manager and another man (who i assume to be the assistant manager asked a few questions about effects pedals, like what type of effects are there? what are the typical string sizes for electric and acoustic guitars?, name a few effects pedals that you are familiar with. Other than that not much was asked. The rest of things that were asked were vague and hard to answer. I assumed that a position would be offered to me on the spot like they usually are at this store (i spoke with several other employees previous to the interview and all of them returned that they were offered the assumed position at the end of the interview.) However, they said they'd call back in 5-7 days which is understandable. The technical questions were easy but the vague questions were hard to answer...

Interview Questions
    • What are some brands of pedals that you are familiar with?   View Answer
    • What are the typical string sizes for electric and acoustic guitar?   View Answer

Enterprise Social Media Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in August 2014.

I had a phone screening interview with their HR department. The process to get a screening interview took 2 weeks and it takes another week before they call if they are interested in an in person interview. My best advice is to be prepared. I thought they would be asking general interview questions since it's just with the HR department, but they had very specific questions and the call lasted about 30 to 45 mins. I also thought the job description was a little misleading. The main focus of this position will be to review, analyze and create reports of their social media marketing campaigns. It seems like they are looking for an analyst rather than a specialist.

Interview Questions
    • How would your ideal supervisor's management style be?   Answer Question
    • What is the process you go through to create social media content?   Answer Question

Assistant Category Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Guitar Center.

Phone interview with recruiter
    Then phone interview with HR Mgr
    Then interview with Category Manager in person for 1 hour
    Then come back and interview with VP OF Dept for 1 hour

Interview Questions
    • What would you do individually or collectively to grow your categories?   View Answer
    Gave me what I asked for.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center.

I have been a long term customer of GC and often found myself helping customers before I worked there. I jokingly said to the sales guys that I should work there, and they told me to apply. I applied online and was told by one of the other employees to follow up daily to get the interview. That Daily tip was really good, because that is what it took to get in.

The initial interview was with the Store Manager. I brought an extra resume which paid dividends because they lost it. They asked about my music and technology background, and sales experience. I was almost dismissed as over qualified because of my pro-audio experience, but I was able to talk them down from that ledge.

Getting the 2nd interview was another round of calling to ask for it every day. Each day I called, the manager "was just about to call me". The 2nd interview was with the sales training manager and Pro Audio department manager. Again, I brought extra resumes which again was helpful.

They were pretty positive about the opportunity, but could not offer on the spot.

Then I was stonewalled for about a week, with the manager seeming disinterested. Then out of nowhere, he called to beg me to take the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would I change about Guitar Center   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center.

I first applied online. A week later I received a phone call from one of the stores I applied to. They offered me a group interview. When I arrived, there were 15+ people waiting. They took us across the street into their warehouse. The interviewer's (Store Manager and Sales Manager) asked 3 questions. After the interview lasted about 45 minutes. They told everyone that if you didn't hear back the next day, that didn't mean it was a no and you could send an email to inquire on their interest in you. The next day I got a call back for a 1 on 1 interview. When I got there I met with them at the exact time they specified. The interviewers were the same guys. They asked several questions and told me about some of the logistics of the position I applied for (Sales Associate). The interview lasted roughly 35 minutes. The next day the sales manager emailed me another application that asked for more personal info and the following day they offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    They offered above the average wage because of my prior experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in January 2014.

at first there was a group interview and then after that there was a one on one interview. it was a little different but overall it was not too difficult of an interview process.

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in February 2013.

This is the worst interview experience I ever had. I passed the phone screen with the hiring manager and was asked to come in and interview. I was asked to bring 15 copies of my resume and fill out an online application. I filled out the application but a few days later the staffing person said it was not there. I explained to her that I filled it out and the system tells me I already did and won’t let me do it again. She kept saying that it has to be done and I kept asking what she would like me to do as their system is telling me it is already there. She seemed paralyzed and never offered to resolve it.

I showed up on interview day to one of their corporate facilities. I brought 15 copies of my resume to interview with 4 people (one being the staffing person) who already had copies. The staffing person never took them, did a cursory sort of interview and when asked about my application status she smirked and commented that if my application is not submitted she cannot “verify my experience lines up”. Again, I asked what I can do to help and she just responded with sort of a I-know-something-you-don’t-know look. It was awful.

The common theme amongst the managers I interviewed with was around how I would motivate people who had to work every night and weekend with antiquated technology and poor compensation. While I lived only 5 minutes from the facility, one person kept warning me how bad the commute would be. The work area of cubes was kept pretty dark and the management had windowless to the outside offices along the wall. It was a dreary place.

The staffing person told me she would get back to me within a week. She never did. I called her and she said they already filled the position. Shortly after that, I saw the position for the hiring manager was also posted as open.

Interview Questions
    • The difficult part is trying to read the staffing person. If there was something wrong, she should have been forthcoming or not brought me in for the interview.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in April 2014.

Interviews were run of the mill, nothing to unexpected or off the wall. Very laid back, and quick. All questions were typical and easy to answer. Every interview was basically the same questions just different managers.