Guitar Center Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Rockville, MD).

Interview

met with the Sales Training Manager who asked me about myself, and then proceeded to ask product knowledge questions. After product knowledge questions, we discussed the wage and commission system (which was poorly explained), and then I had another interview with the store manager with similar questions, geared more toward customer service and my personal background.

Interview Questions

• What are the "standard" drum sizes   1 Answer

Pro Audio Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Visalia, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Visalia, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Basically asked me if I could read and write and use a computer. They also wanted to know if I had any customer service experience. The interviewing managers were nothing more than snot nosed brats that looked fresh out of highschool. The store manager looked half stoned all the time. Her tattoos proved that she was a big stoner

Guitar Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Dallas, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a call the next day, the person on the phone asked me about my musical experience and music education as well, we scheduled a time for the interview and a few days later I did the interview, the interview itself was pretty layback didn't last more than 30 minutes, I played something in my guitar, then talked about myself, Time availability, did some sight reading and that was basically it. The overall experience was really nice it was really 'chill' for a job interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't negociate

General Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

in store interview with store manager after filling out application and seeking employment via telephone. Easy and laid back interview. Talked a lot about sales and sales experience. Fun interview if you know your way about music gear etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Richmond, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

I dropped off my resume and person and did the online application that is required by Guitar Center. The assistant manager called me back and interviewed me. He asked me some technical questions about gear and strings to see if I knew what I was talking about. It lasted about an hour. A few days later they called me back and said they wanted me to interview with the store manager. I went in and interviewed with the same kind of questions. At the end, he offered me the position.

Interview Questions

• Basic gear questions...What is the difference between a precision bass and a jazz bass? What is the difference between phosphor bronze and 80/20 strings? How would you handle a customer that was mad? Role playing sales situations...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Beaverton, OR) in August 2013.

Interview

It was a rushed process. As can happen in retail, they needed a live body fast and luckily I was there at the right time. I took a lot of pride in my work and was promoted quickly, but saw the interview process as a basic screener to see if one wasn't crazy. Minimal effort is put into the out reach and selection process. I found myself asking more questions than the manager was.

Guitar Center Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marietta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Marietta, GA).

Interview

Sat down with the manager and answered questions about my history as a musician. Made my case for why I thought I would make a great employee. Had to go through a mock sales pitch.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Guitar Center (East Brunswick, NJ) in May 2012.

Interview

Apply online with a short questionnaire and previous employment history. If they are interested, they will call you in for a group interview (6-12 other people - not all of them are going for the same position, you'll have 3-5 guitar guys, 1-3 drum guys, 5-6 pro audio guys, etc). For this they want you to be social and see how you interact with others. After this, a few days later they will give you a personal interview. For me, that meant me in a chair facing the store manager, warehouse manager, and my soon-to-be department manager. I was told I got the job over the phone a couple days later.

Interview Questions

• 1) What would you say to a coworker who was employed here but DID NOT want to work here? 2) How, if at all, will working at Guitar Center help you in your future career goals? 3) What type of things would you do in your department to make it better?   Answer Question

Guitar Center Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Guitar Center (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Very easy and laid back interview, I wore a button up tee and khakis, they asked me about my past experience with music gear and guitars. I had to call them numerous ones to even get the interview set up and I had to call them to find out I was hired, management was not up on their game.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between tube and solid state amps?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Super relaxed. I was dressed in a suit and tie and could not have felt more dumb about it. They asked me typical gear questions like what I played on and what features I'd point out on a guitar. Then they asked me to pitch a PC (pro coverage) and it was awkward but I got through it. They are more interested in finding a sales associate than a gear head I will tell you that.