Guitar Center Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.1

Guitar Center Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guitar Center (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Very easy and laid back interview, I wore a button up tee and khakis, they asked me about my past experience with music gear and guitars. I had to call them numerous ones to even get the interview set up and I had to call them to find out I was hired, management was not up on their game.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between tube and solid state amps?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Super relaxed. I was dressed in a suit and tie and could not have felt more dumb about it. They asked me typical gear questions like what I played on and what features I'd point out on a guitar. Then they asked me to pitch a PC (pro coverage) and it was awkward but I got through it. They are more interested in finding a sales associate than a gear head I will tell you that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center (Paramus, NJ) in May 2011.

Interview

I am no longer a sales associate but the interview process is pretty much the same. Once a decent amount of applications enter the store manager's inbox, the manager holds a group interview. During the group interview several basic questions are asked to the group and the managers conducting the interview basically look for someone with the best combination of personality (remember, this is sales) and knowledge. Those people get called in for a second interview, usually with two different managers than those that did the group interview. A third interview is sometimes required for positions with multiple good candidates. Most stores the process takes two weeks, tops.

Sales Associate In Professional Audio Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Guitar Center (Southfield, MI) in September 2012.

Interview

It wasn't too lengthy and most of the questions were fair and relaxed. In hindsight I wish the pay structure was detailed a bit more since it is a bit convoluted, but when I called to follow up, the manager told me I was the only one who impressed him. Overall I had a good experience with the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Since you are leaving your current job, how will I know you will stay here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center (Concord, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Applied online, followed up in person while the manager was on vacation for two weeks, followed up again over the phone, had a single 1-on-1 interview, followed up again another week later, began several days after that.

Interview Questions

• What's a better acoustic guitar, Gibson or Taylor?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Guitar Center (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

My interview experience was most likely not normal because it took over a year to complete. I had four different interviews with three different people and the management changed during the process. Each interview was comfortable, not intimidating, and fair. The interviewer asked logical questions that clearly related to the position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I could commit to a draw rate of pay and sell enough to qualify for it every month.   1 Answer

AP Trade Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Guitar Center (Westlake Village, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed by corporate HR hiring manager who was interested in filling the position quickly. This person asked the usual and general questions. There were no technical questions since they had no accounting background. Only went through the first initial phone screen. After that, if you passed, I suspect they would have proceeded with in person interview at their corporate headquarters.

Guitar Repair Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Guitar Center (Hamilton, NJ) in June 2014.

Interview

After being contacted directly by corporate HR and being offered jobs that weren't ACTUALLY available... I was interviewed in store by a "sales" manager for a Guitar Repair job. I never actually was asked ANYTHING about my repair abilities or experience other than the length of time I had been working.

The entire interview which was over an hour, consisted of sales questions.

Interview Questions

• All interview questions were sales related. Anything concerning my repair abilities was glazed over with "well, you know you can do repairs but, can you manage a sales quota?" things like that.   1 Answer

Pro Audio Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hallandale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center (Hallandale, FL).

Interview

Good interview asked many different question and then some odd ones. Told me there was room for advancement and got me excited about the position. Manager bragged about what he was getting paid and where he was at in the company.

Interview Questions

• what would you do if someone wanted to but dj equipment etc   Answer Question

Guitar Salesman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center (Alpharetta, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

After completing the prescreening application online, I got a call back about a month later. The general manager asked me about my personal music experience such as what I played and how long have I been a musician. Then he asked me a question a consumer would have as a test: "What are 3 big differences between Fender Strats and Gibson Less Paul's?" If you don't know that, I recommend looking somewhere else. After answering the question, he asked about my availability and said he'd like an in person interview. The interview was with him and the sales manager asking about what I would do in situations such as a disgruntled customer (get a manager, they are there to help) and then asked about what a good customer experience is to you (doing everything you can to make them feel good about the sale and wanting to come back). After that, a call in a week confirmed the hire.