Guitar Center

50 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Drum Department Manager Interview

Naperville, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Guitar Center in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called to schedule an interview a few days later. First, and only interview, went well. GM asked a few general questions about why I wanted to work there, if I understood how commission sales work and if I took rejection well, because that is a large part of the job. He quickly explained the commission procedure, and the scheduling procedure. He asked me what I was bringing to the table as a salesperson and how well I could lead a team of salespeople as manager. I had some background in management already, so I think I responded well to his questions and seems happy with my responses. I was not offered a job at that point, he just said thanks for coming in. Interview lasted approx. 15-20 mins.

Interview Question – If I were offered the position, how would I handle leading a dept where some of the team members have been there a considerable amount of time (more than me) and wanted the manager job as well.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – While interviewing at GC I was also interviewing with other employers. After considering the commission scale, work schedule and lack of suitable benefits (health/dental/vision, 401K, etc) I decided to take a job offer with better salary/benefits and a regular set schedule. 9-5, weekends/holidays off and job growth makes a huge difference when deciding on a job, I saw no real job growth at GC, it would be very difficult to make GM even in 5 years.

Sales Assocoiate Interview

I applied in-person and interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details – really relaxed and easy. If you know music you will get the job. Also have to be able to work min 20 hours a week.

Negotiation Details – no negotiating

Very Easy Interview

Danbury, CT

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Guitar Center in February 2013.

Interview Details – Went in for one interview, spoke to an assistant manager. Came back the next day and spoke to her and the store manager. Came back a final time and did paper work. I did the initial application on their website.

Interview Question – None. I know a lot about guitars, computers, and sound systems prior to the job so nothing caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered, and I accepted

Collections Interview

Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Guitar Center in January 2014.

Interview Details – Just like others, I passed the phone interview, however, when I met with the SFMO, and the collections manager, all looked good. However, I was passed on as a candidate with no reason given as to why. This seemed unprofessional to me.

Interview Question – How would you handle old A/R Accounts   Answer Question

Flint, MI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details – Went in for an open interview process. Waited for about 45 minutes, as there were a lot of people waiting for an interview. Eventually, I was called back to the back office. One of the sales floor managers who I was familiar with from previous personal sale experiences interviewed me.

Interview Question – Describe the difference between tube tone and solid-state tone.   Answer Question

Recording, Live Audio, & Keyboards Sales Associate Interview

Bartlett, TN

I interviewed at Guitar Center in January 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring process you must pass a test. No real experience necessary. The staff just has to like you.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work retail in a music store?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non negotiable. first pay raise comes with achieving Expert Level status. Second pay raise happens once promoted to Department Manager. Third Pay raise: Assistant Manager. Fourth when Sales and Training Manager, General Manager, District Manager.

Drum Sales Interview

Drum Sales
North Olmsted, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Guitar Center in August 2012.

Interview Details – The process was simple. The key was patience. I had my interview one week after I received a response. I came wearing proper interview attire: dress to impress. My first interview was with the GM followed by an interview with the Operations Manager. Both interviews were conducted in about an hour. I got the call that I got the job about three days later.

Interview Question – The questions from both interviews were relatively the same. They asked the common questions such as "How can you value our company", "What if you caught your friend stealing", etc. The unexpected question that I personally received was, "What if I told you that you could be a manager in less than 6 months"?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. I was being paid minimum wage ($7.70 at the time) with a chance to earn commission, depending on which was greater. For example, if the gross profits of my sales exceeded my hourly wage, then I received a commission's check at the end of the month. If my hourly wage exceeded the gross profits of my sales, then I would receive a regular check. The only thing was (and I didn't find this out until a month later from a coworker) employees only make 9% off of the gross profit of their sales. This means in order to get a commission's check, I had to gross at least $10,000 worth of profit in sales per month, not an easy task by any means.

Interviewed at Guitar Center

Interview Details – Pretty basic questions regarding sales and general music knowledge. Mostly attempting to gauge what your personality type is, how personable you are, and your knowledge of music and their gear. Sell yourself.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a cardiod and and condenser mic?   Answer Question

Sales Associate In Professional Audio Interview

Sales Associate In Professional Audio
Moosic, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Guitar Center in December 2012.

Interview Details – 2 different group interviews. First was with store and operations managers. Second was with sales training manager and assistant managers. Very annoying to only have group interviews and not get a chance to have one on one interactions with the managers. After I was hired, you have a few days of doing paperwork, then a few days of doing computer training before you reach the floor.

Interview Question – Nothing. Very simple interview. Have basic knowledge and don't be a jerk.   Answer Question

CRM Manager Interview

Interviewed at Guitar Center

Interview Details – Lengthy interview with many people. Took about 4 hours.

Interview Question – What would you do if you were in this situation....   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Guitar Center