Guitar Center Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Guitar Center (Nashville, TN).

Interview

I filled out the online application and submitted it to the appropriate store. I was initially told to call back in a week's time. I did so, and was again asked to call back in a week's time. During the second call, I was asked to go in for the interview (along with two other people). The interview process was a bit more relaxed than other places (the store manager had a couch in his office). He reviewed my application, and was simply asking questions based off of my answers. I got the "We'll let you know" answer. Soon after, I had decided to sell a piece of gear, and agreed to meet the buyer at Guitar Center's parking lot. After the sale, I decided one more time to get the job. I spoke with the store manager for a few minutes, after which he agreed to let me have the job.

Interview Questions

• I wouldn't say any of the questions I got were particularly difficult. Because this was a job I knew I could do, being an amateur audio engineer at the time, I wouldn't have had any problem selling the gear.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Very friendly conversational interview. Dress business casual (it's a retail job but good impressions count). Prepare for some basic informational style interview questions. There was an online personality test, a brief phone interview, and a 1:1 interview with the store mgr. All aspects of the process handled very professionally.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been late, explain? Tell me about a time something didn't go your way? Have you ever had a conflict with an coworker, how did you handle that?   Answer Question

Simultaneously offered a salaried position at a different company.

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Guitar Center (Tigard, OR) in March 2014.

Interview

the interview was only one with a possible call back. Interview was an informal attire with informal communication. the questions were directly related to the job assignment and criteria. the interview itself was in the general area of the store not in a enclosed office or private. the call back or second interview was more pointed and directed to the direct needs of the organization relative to the ability of myself and my desires and needs.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing unexpected. All questions were directly related to the store retail products and sales.   Answer Question

Sales Assocoiate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

really relaxed and easy. If you know music you will get the job. Also have to be able to work min 20 hours a week.

Negotiation

no negotiating

Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center (Westlake Village, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Interesting place. I applied online and received an email invitation from an HR rep for a phone interview with her which we scheduled for the next day at 10 am. At 10 am the next day I am waiting by the phone with details of the position in hand so I can discuss it intelligently. No call. After an hour I send an email "sorry I missed your call can we reschedule?", no response, next I call the HR rep and leave a voice mail, still no response. At the end of the day around 5:30ish I get an email from the recruiter apologizing for missing the interview but something came up and could we reschedule for the next day. I responded that would be fine and she could call anytime. Nothing. More emails and phone messages and still nothing. I can understand that people are busy and things come up but the lack of common courtesy and professionalism after missing the second call was very disappointing and could be indicative of how people are treated in this corporation.

Anonymous Employee in Flint, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Guitar Center (Flint, MI).

Interview

Went in for an open interview process. Waited for about 45 minutes, as there were a lot of people waiting for an interview. Eventually, I was called back to the back office. One of the sales floor managers who I was familiar with from previous personal sale experiences interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• Describe the difference between tube tone and solid-state tone.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center (Boston, MA) in January 2014.

Interview

at first there was a group interview and then after that there was a one on one interview. it was a little different but overall it was not too difficult of an interview process.

Collections Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center (Thousand Oaks, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Just like others, I passed the phone interview, however, when I met with the SFMO, and the collections manager, all looked good. However, I was passed on as a candidate with no reason given as to why. This seemed unprofessional to me.

Guitar Center Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center (Albany, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

I called to schedule an interview, and was promptly forgotten. Had to keep calling back to get an interview, then came in for my 2nd only to find the manager had gone home for the day. Tried again, ended up getting the job after a month of phone tag.

Interview Questions

• Would you kindly put your resume away?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Pretty basic questions regarding sales and general music knowledge. Mostly attempting to gauge what your personality type is, how personable you are, and your knowledge of music and their gear. Sell yourself.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a cardiod and and condenser mic?   Answer Question