Guitar Center

Updated Nov 25, 2014
Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.2

CRM Manager Interview

Lengthy interview with many people. Took about 4 hours.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center.

1) applied via online form
    2) called for interview
    3) went to 10-minute interview
         - was very hard to read the interviewers' relative like/dislike of me
    4) was called within 48 hours and offered a job

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Guitar Center? I was applying to dozens of different employers from a myriad of industries, and I always had to spend a lot of time thinking about this question as it applied to each potential employer.   View Answers (2)
    No negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Customer Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hollywood, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hollywood, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guitar Center.

One interview! Really easy just be friendly, make eye contact, and answers the question appropriately. They look for people who are ambitious, positive, and love music. Most of all make sure you let them know you are about customer service.

No negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Guitar Center.

I got an interview by walking in to purchase a pack of strings, and asking to speak with the store manager while I was there. I dropped off my resume with him and he got a feel for me which he counted as my first interview. I had one more subsequent interview with the Sales and Training Manager before I was hired on

Interview Questions
    There weren't any negotiable options I was able to take advantage of.

Drum Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center in October 2013.

Applied online and was called to schedule an interview a few days later. First, and only interview, went well. GM asked a few general questions about why I wanted to work there, if I understood how commission sales work and if I took rejection well, because that is a large part of the job. He quickly explained the commission procedure, and the scheduling procedure. He asked me what I was bringing to the table as a salesperson and how well I could lead a team of salespeople as manager. I had some background in management already, so I think I responded well to his questions and seems happy with my responses. I was not offered a job at that point, he just said thanks for coming in. Interview lasted approx. 15-20 mins.

Interview Questions
    • If I were offered the position, how would I handle leading a dept where some of the team members have been there a considerable amount of time (more than me) and wanted the manager job as well.   View Answer

While interviewing at GC I was also interviewing with other employers. After considering the commission scale, work schedule and lack of suitable benefits (health/dental/vision, 401K, etc) I decided to take a job offer with better salary/benefits and a regular set schedule. 9-5, weekends/holidays off and job growth makes a huge difference when deciding on a job, I saw no real job growth at GC, it would be very difficult to make GM even in 5 years.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center.

You apply online at the company's website and you also take some sort of personality test. If you pass the evaluation the store manager will call you for an interview. Interview is pretty casual and relax. Mostly a conversation about yourself.

Non negotionable for the wages but your schedule you could let them know if you need certain days or times off

PIM Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Guitar Center in August 2013.

Extremely Friendly and Professional Human Resource Recruiter.

Interview Questions
    Currently working for the media music group.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center.

Quiz online. If you land the interview more than likely got the job.

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in February 2013.

This is the worst interview experience I ever had. I passed the phone screen with the hiring manager and was asked to come in and interview. I was asked to bring 15 copies of my resume and fill out an online application. I filled out the application but a few days later the staffing person said it was not there. I explained to her that I filled it out and the system tells me I already did and won’t let me do it again. She kept saying that it has to be done and I kept asking what she would like me to do as their system is telling me it is already there. She seemed paralyzed and never offered to resolve it.

I showed up on interview day to one of their corporate facilities. I brought 15 copies of my resume to interview with 4 people (one being the staffing person) who already had copies. The staffing person never took them, did a cursory sort of interview and when asked about my application status she smirked and commented that if my application is not submitted she cannot “verify my experience lines up”. Again, I asked what I can do to help and she just responded with sort of a I-know-something-you-don’t-know look. It was awful.

The common theme amongst the managers I interviewed with was around how I would motivate people who had to work every night and weekend with antiquated technology and poor compensation. While I lived only 5 minutes from the facility, one person kept warning me how bad the commute would be. The work area of cubes was kept pretty dark and the management had windowless to the outside offices along the wall. It was a dreary place.

The staffing person told me she would get back to me within a week. She never did. I called her and she said they already filled the position. Shortly after that, I saw the position for the hiring manager was also posted as open.

Interview Questions
    • The difficult part is trying to read the staffing person. If there was something wrong, she should have been forthcoming or not brought me in for the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Danbury, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Danbury, CT

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Guitar Center in February 2013.

Went in for one interview, spoke to an assistant manager. Came back the next day and spoke to her and the store manager. Came back a final time and did paper work. I did the initial application on their website.

Interview Questions
    • None. I know a lot about guitars, computers, and sound systems prior to the job so nothing caught me off guard.   Answer Question
    They offered, and I accepted