Guitar Center Interview Questions

2.1

Collections Interview

Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center in January 2014.

Just like others, I passed the phone interview, however, when I met with the SFMO, and the collections manager, all looked good. However, I was passed on as a candidate with no reason given as to why. This seemed unprofessional to me.

Guitar Center Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in January 2014.

I called to schedule an interview, and was promptly forgotten. Had to keep calling back to get an interview, then came in for my 2nd only to find the manager had gone home for the day. Tried again, ended up getting the job after a month of phone tag.

Interview Questions
    • Would you kindly put your resume away?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in January 2014.

at first there was a group interview and then after that there was a one on one interview. it was a little different but overall it was not too difficult of an interview process.

Sales Associate Interview

Pretty basic questions regarding sales and general music knowledge. Mostly attempting to gauge what your personality type is, how personable you are, and your knowledge of music and their gear. Sell yourself.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between a cardiod and and condenser mic?   Answer Question

CRM Manager Interview

Lengthy interview with many people. Took about 4 hours.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center.

1) applied via online form
    2) called for interview
    3) went to 10-minute interview
         - was very hard to read the interviewers' relative like/dislike of me
    4) was called within 48 hours and offered a job

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Guitar Center? I was applying to dozens of different employers from a myriad of industries, and I always had to spend a lot of time thinking about this question as it applied to each potential employer.   View Answers (2)
    No negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Customer Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hollywood, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hollywood, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guitar Center.

One interview! Really easy just be friendly, make eye contact, and answers the question appropriately. They look for people who are ambitious, positive, and love music. Most of all make sure you let them know you are about customer service.

No negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Guitar Center.

I got an interview by walking in to purchase a pack of strings, and asking to speak with the store manager while I was there. I dropped off my resume with him and he got a feel for me which he counted as my first interview. I had one more subsequent interview with the Sales and Training Manager before I was hired on

Interview Questions
    There weren't any negotiable options I was able to take advantage of.

Drum Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center in October 2013.

Applied online and was called to schedule an interview a few days later. First, and only interview, went well. GM asked a few general questions about why I wanted to work there, if I understood how commission sales work and if I took rejection well, because that is a large part of the job. He quickly explained the commission procedure, and the scheduling procedure. He asked me what I was bringing to the table as a salesperson and how well I could lead a team of salespeople as manager. I had some background in management already, so I think I responded well to his questions and seems happy with my responses. I was not offered a job at that point, he just said thanks for coming in. Interview lasted approx. 15-20 mins.

Interview Questions
    • If I were offered the position, how would I handle leading a dept where some of the team members have been there a considerable amount of time (more than me) and wanted the manager job as well.   View Answer

While interviewing at GC I was also interviewing with other employers. After considering the commission scale, work schedule and lack of suitable benefits (health/dental/vision, 401K, etc) I decided to take a job offer with better salary/benefits and a regular set schedule. 9-5, weekends/holidays off and job growth makes a huge difference when deciding on a job, I saw no real job growth at GC, it would be very difficult to make GM even in 5 years.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center.

You apply online at the company's website and you also take some sort of personality test. If you pass the evaluation the store manager will call you for an interview. Interview is pretty casual and relax. Mostly a conversation about yourself.

Non negotionable for the wages but your schedule you could let them know if you need certain days or times off