Guitar Center

Average Difficulty
56 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Flint, MI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details – Went in for an open interview process. Waited for about 45 minutes, as there were a lot of people waiting for an interview. Eventually, I was called back to the back office. One of the sales floor managers who I was familiar with from previous personal sale experiences interviewed me.

Interview Question – Describe the difference between tube tone and solid-state tone.   Answer Question

Recording, Live Audio, & Keyboards Sales Associate Interview

Recording, Live Audio, & Keyboards Sales Associate
Bartlett, TN

I interviewed at Guitar Center in January 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring process you must pass a test. No real experience necessary. The staff just has to like you.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work retail in a music store?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non negotiable. first pay raise comes with achieving Expert Level status. Second pay raise happens once promoted to Department Manager. Third Pay raise: Assistant Manager. Fourth when Sales and Training Manager, General Manager, District Manager.

Drum Sales Interview

Drum Sales
North Olmsted, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Guitar Center in August 2012.

Interview Details – The process was simple. The key was patience. I had my interview one week after I received a response. I came wearing proper interview attire: dress to impress. My first interview was with the GM followed by an interview with the Operations Manager. Both interviews were conducted in about an hour. I got the call that I got the job about three days later.

Interview Question – The questions from both interviews were relatively the same. They asked the common questions such as "How can you value our company", "What if you caught your friend stealing", etc. The unexpected question that I personally received was, "What if I told you that you could be a manager in less than 6 months"?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. I was being paid minimum wage ($7.70 at the time) with a chance to earn commission, depending on which was greater. For example, if the gross profits of my sales exceeded my hourly wage, then I received a commission's check at the end of the month. If my hourly wage exceeded the gross profits of my sales, then I would receive a regular check. The only thing was (and I didn't find this out until a month later from a coworker) employees only make 9% off of the gross profit of their sales. This means in order to get a commission's check, I had to gross at least $10,000 worth of profit in sales per month, not an easy task by any means.

Interviewed at Guitar Center

Interview Details – Pretty basic questions regarding sales and general music knowledge. Mostly attempting to gauge what your personality type is, how personable you are, and your knowledge of music and their gear. Sell yourself.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a cardiod and and condenser mic?   Answer Question

Sales Associate In Professional Audio Interview

Sales Associate In Professional Audio
Moosic, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Guitar Center in December 2012.

Interview Details – 2 different group interviews. First was with store and operations managers. Second was with sales training manager and assistant managers. Very annoying to only have group interviews and not get a chance to have one on one interactions with the managers. After I was hired, you have a few days of doing paperwork, then a few days of doing computer training before you reach the floor.

Interview Question – Nothing. Very simple interview. Have basic knowledge and don't be a jerk.   Answer Question

CRM Manager Interview

CRM Manager

Interviewed at Guitar Center

Interview Details – Lengthy interview with many people. Took about 4 hours.

Interview Question – What would you do if you were in this situation....   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details – 1) applied via online form
2) called for interview
3) went to 10-minute interview
     - was very hard to read the interviewers' relative like/dislike of me
4) was called within 48 hours and offered a job

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Guitar Center? I was applying to dozens of different employers from a myriad of industries, and I always had to spend a lot of time thinking about this question as it applied to each potential employer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Very Easy Interview

Customer Operations Associate Interview

Customer Operations Associate
Hollywood, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details – One interview! Really easy just be friendly, make eye contact, and answers the question appropriately. They look for people who are ambitious, positive, and love music. Most of all make sure you let them know you are about customer service.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details – I got an interview by walking in to purchase a pack of strings, and asking to speak with the store manager while I was there. I dropped off my resume with him and he got a feel for me which he counted as my first interview. I had one more subsequent interview with the Sales and Training Manager before I was hired on

Interview Question – There weren't any. It was a pretty basic interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There weren't any negotiable options I was able to take advantage of.

PIM Coordinator Interview

PIM Coordinator
Westlake Village, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Guitar Center in August 2013.

Interview Details – Extremely Friendly and Professional Human Resource Recruiter.

Interview Question – Working under temporary terms.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Currently working for the media music group.