Guitar Center

2.2

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in January 2013.

Depends on the store you try to apply for. Most stores hold open interviews on a certain day so go in and ask when they hold them. Don't overdress but don't also come looking like a slob. Eye contact is key and be confident. Like Apple, they're looking for personality. Not a know-it-all.

Interview Questions
    • What's the most difficult part about working with others? What's the part about working with people that you enjoy the most?

Tell us the last time you were late.

Tell us about a time where you went above and beyond for a customer or friend.

Answer Question
    They have a set pay structure with possible added bonuses based off your performance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moosic, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moosic, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in December 2012.

2 different group interviews. First was with store and operations managers. Second was with sales training manager and assistant managers. Very annoying to only have group interviews and not get a chance to have one on one interactions with the managers. After I was hired, you have a few days of doing paperwork, then a few days of doing computer training before you reach the floor.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing. Very simple interview. Have basic knowledge and don't be a jerk.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in October 2012.

I applied digitally and then went in for one of the open interviews and bugged the store manager for a few weeks. Black Friday came around and I was brought in as a temp and was hired on full time after a month in Pro Audio.

Interview Questions
    Not really a negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in September 2012.

I applied online, there were the typical questions as well as ones related to knowledge of gear but apparently that is not enough to get a job there. After applying there for almost 2 years and following up with applications 2-3 times I finally landed an interview. The interview was pretty normal he asked me a few questions, inquired about employment history. I don't guess I got the job, I followed up twice after my interview and was told each time that he still hasn't come to a decision, well it's been a week now and he told me has going to come to decision 5 days after so I am assuming I didn't get the position. They appear to be looking for people with straight up sales experience over knowledge of the gear, I even got that vibe whilst in the interview, despite being a paying customer and haven't outstanding knowledge of all the gear in most the departments at the store.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time where you delivered outstanding customer service.   Answer Question

Drum Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Olmsted, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Olmsted, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in August 2012.

The process was simple. The key was patience. I had my interview one week after I received a response. I came wearing proper interview attire: dress to impress. My first interview was with the GM followed by an interview with the Operations Manager. Both interviews were conducted in about an hour. I got the call that I got the job about three days later.

Interview Questions
    • The questions from both interviews were relatively the same. They asked the common questions such as "How can you value our company", "What if you caught your friend stealing", etc. The unexpected question that I personally received was, "What if I told you that you could be a manager in less than 6 months"?   View Answer
    There was none. I was being paid minimum wage ($7.70 at the time) with a chance to earn commission, depending on which was greater. For example, if the gross profits of my sales exceeded my hourly wage, then I received a commission's check at the end of the month. If my hourly wage exceeded the gross profits of my sales, then I would receive a regular check. The only thing was (and I didn't find this out until a month later from a coworker) employees only make 9% off of the gross profit of their sales. This means in order to get a commission's check, I had to gross at least $10,000 worth of profit in sales per month, not an easy task by any means.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in June 2012.

Basic interview questions regarding hypothetical job scenarios. What do you want to accomplish. What do you know and what concerns you about the job. Strengths and weaknesses. Online application process will rate your application based on potential.

No negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guitar Center in February 2012.

Quit simple. basic questions about the instruments depending on which position you apply to. got a little bit technical, but if you know anything about instruments it should be pretty easy. great people.

Studios Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center in January 2012.

The interview process was not that bad. It took less than half an hour. After that, received a call to fill out paper work and take a small test about the work environment and safety issues.

Recording, Live Audio, & Keyboards Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlett, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlett, TN

interviewed at Guitar Center in January 2012.

Hiring process you must pass a test. No real experience necessary. The staff just has to like you.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work retail in a music store?   View Answer
    Non negotiable. first pay raise comes with achieving Expert Level status. Second pay raise happens once promoted to Department Manager. Third Pay raise: Assistant Manager. Fourth when Sales and Training Manager, General Manager, District Manager.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guitar Center in November 2011.

The application was done online, and was very efficient. I was in for an interview the next day. They were very professional, and could see from the first interview that the quality of the employees was very important. The culture of the company stove for honesty and integrity from the top down. It was quite refreshing to see.

Interview Questions
    There is not any negotiation, it is a commission based job so your salary is up to you.