Guitar Center Interview Questions

2.2

Drums Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center in April 2011.

For the Interviews I had multiple interviews that were low pressure and professional. The hiring process was very efficient and management was able to get me in the system and working in less than a week. There was a mandatory back safety course due to some of the lifting necessary for the job, but aside from that there was nothing out of the ordinary from any other hiring process I have ever been through.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in January 2011.

The manager and another man (who i assume to be the assistant manager asked a few questions about effects pedals, like what type of effects are there? what are the typical string sizes for electric and acoustic guitars?, name a few effects pedals that you are familiar with. Other than that not much was asked. The rest of things that were asked were vague and hard to answer. I assumed that a position would be offered to me on the spot like they usually are at this store (i spoke with several other employees previous to the interview and all of them returned that they were offered the assumed position at the end of the interview.) However, they said they'd call back in 5-7 days which is understandable. The technical questions were easy but the vague questions were hard to answer...

Interview Questions
    • What are some brands of pedals that you are familiar with?   View Answer
    • What are the typical string sizes for electric and acoustic guitar?   View Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Guitar Center in August 2010.

Interviews were with senior level management for non managerial position, which was intimidating. The interview style ranged from relaxed to very structured.

Elite Sales Force Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guitar Center in August 2010.

They do group interviews now but I wasn't hired this way though. They have you submit all applications online and even if you use an employee as a reference they will never ask the employee what you think of the possible new hire. All the applications are faxed to the store manager then they call for group interviews. Then they choose who they like and do a second interview and if they like you then they hire you. Typically they hire more enthusiastic people knowledgeable people.

Interview Questions
    • They just try to gauge who you are as a person by asking simple questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center in July 2010.

Interview with Sales Manager and Store Manager. But this was in 2003...

was not one

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in June 2010.

Originally started with Music and Arts which is Guitar Centers band and orchestra division then transferred to Guitar Center. They found my Resume on Monsterjobs.com. Process started with a few phone calls which lead to an interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to grow the business. Not having training or working their previously I was a little taken back.   View Answer
    When I first started there wasn't really an option to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guitar Center in May 2010.

I was a customer that knew more than the other sales people on the floor and would often help. This caught the attention of the store manager who offered me a job.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was leaving the job I had, which I liked.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I had to be willing to accept their entry level pay.

Greeter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guitar Center in March 2010.

A friend of mine worked for the company and told me there was an opening for a greeter at the door. I filled out an application and handed it in to the manager on duty. I was called in for a one on one interview with the sales floor manager. I had a total of two interviews. One with the sales floor manager and one with the operations manager. In terms of my experience during the interview with the sales floor manager, I was not happy with the way I was spoken to or with his sexist attitude. He told me that he was reluctant to hire me because I am a female and he didn't want my presence distracting the male employees. I had to remain confident and assertive, telling him that my performance of my job would prove that I would be an asset to the store. My overall take on the store is that it is geared more towards males in terms of employees and customers. Male customers are treated with more enthusiasm and respect. I wouldn't recommend this company to a female worker.

Interview Questions
    • My concern is that, as a female, you will distract my male employees. We have had difficulties in the past with female employees. Why should I hire you?   View Answer
    There was no negotiating of pay rates. The only negotiating I had to do was to convince them to hire me even though I am a female.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guitar Center in January 2010.

Turnover is very high in Guitar Center stores, if you really want to work there just visit and ask to talk to the store manager during day hours. If you are persistent they will hire you. You may also have to join a group interview, which the store manager picks out their candidates visually.

Interview Questions
    • Why Guitar Center chooses to treat their employees so terribly.   Answer Question
    Commission on draw is all that is offered, no raises even after being promoted to Assistant Manager, and still on a commission basis.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Covina, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Covina, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guitar Center in October 2009.

I applied online. When you go to through the applicant process you must take a pretty long test about your knowledge on musical instruments and techinicality. When you are finished appliying and taking the test the results are sent to the employer and if it is to their standards they will call you for a one on one interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you thought a customer was stealing from the store?   View Answer