Guitar Center

2.2

Studios Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center in January 2012.

The interview process was not that bad. It took less than half an hour. After that, received a call to fill out paper work and take a small test about the work environment and safety issues.

Recording, Live Audio, & Keyboards Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlett, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bartlett, TN

interviewed at Guitar Center in January 2012.

Hiring process you must pass a test. No real experience necessary. The staff just has to like you.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work retail in a music store?   View Answer
    Non negotiable. first pay raise comes with achieving Expert Level status. Second pay raise happens once promoted to Department Manager. Third Pay raise: Assistant Manager. Fourth when Sales and Training Manager, General Manager, District Manager.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guitar Center in November 2011.

The application was done online, and was very efficient. I was in for an interview the next day. They were very professional, and could see from the first interview that the quality of the employees was very important. The culture of the company stove for honesty and integrity from the top down. It was quite refreshing to see.

Interview Questions
    There is not any negotiation, it is a commission based job so your salary is up to you.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in July 2011.

Interview wasn't bad. I wish i studied more before the interview. They asked question like 'whats the difference between a balanced and unbalanced cable, pick up patterns, name 3 keyboard manufacturers. I just didn't like the fact that they weren't up front with telling you whether you were hired not. Not hard to say yes or no. I keep calling back for about 2 weeks - 'Call back. Managers on vacation -_-. However im glad i didn't get the job because I heard the pay was horrific. =(

Drums Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center in April 2011.

For the Interviews I had multiple interviews that were low pressure and professional. The hiring process was very efficient and management was able to get me in the system and working in less than a week. There was a mandatory back safety course due to some of the lifting necessary for the job, but aside from that there was nothing out of the ordinary from any other hiring process I have ever been through.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in January 2011.

The manager and another man (who i assume to be the assistant manager asked a few questions about effects pedals, like what type of effects are there? what are the typical string sizes for electric and acoustic guitars?, name a few effects pedals that you are familiar with. Other than that not much was asked. The rest of things that were asked were vague and hard to answer. I assumed that a position would be offered to me on the spot like they usually are at this store (i spoke with several other employees previous to the interview and all of them returned that they were offered the assumed position at the end of the interview.) However, they said they'd call back in 5-7 days which is understandable. The technical questions were easy but the vague questions were hard to answer...

Interview Questions
    • What are some brands of pedals that you are familiar with?   View Answer
    • What are the typical string sizes for electric and acoustic guitar?   View Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Guitar Center in August 2010.

Interviews were with senior level management for non managerial position, which was intimidating. The interview style ranged from relaxed to very structured.

Elite Sales Force Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guitar Center in August 2010.

They do group interviews now but I wasn't hired this way though. They have you submit all applications online and even if you use an employee as a reference they will never ask the employee what you think of the possible new hire. All the applications are faxed to the store manager then they call for group interviews. Then they choose who they like and do a second interview and if they like you then they hire you. Typically they hire more enthusiastic people knowledgeable people.

Interview Questions
    • They just try to gauge who you are as a person by asking simple questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Guitar Center in July 2010.

Interview with Sales Manager and Store Manager. But this was in 2003...

was not one

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in June 2010.

Originally started with Music and Arts which is Guitar Centers band and orchestra division then transferred to Guitar Center. They found my Resume on Monsterjobs.com. Process started with a few phone calls which lead to an interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to grow the business. Not having training or working their previously I was a little taken back.   View Answer
    When I first started there wasn't really an option to negotiate.