Guitar Center Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014

2.0

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Guitar Center.

I had two interviews. The first one was sometime in June and it was with the STM (Sales Training Manager). Overall i think the interview took maybe 10 min. It was very short and simple, and pretty easy. He did go through a list of questions with me though, questions about my past experience/jobs. Also questions like, "What would you do in this scenario at work...How would you handle this type of customer?...etc." I got a call maybe a month and a half later and was offered the job.

Interview Questions
  • Name a time you showed your integrity in a difficult situation?   Answer Question
No negotiating.

Other Interview Reviews for Guitar Center

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center.

I first applied online. A week later I received a phone call from one of the stores I applied to. They offered me a group interview. When I arrived, there were 15+ people waiting. They took us across the street into their warehouse. The interviewer's (Store Manager and Sales Manager) asked 3 questions. After the interview lasted about 45 minutes. They told everyone that if you didn't hear back the next day, that didn't mean it was a no and you could send an email to inquire on their interest in you. The next day I got a call back for a 1 on 1 interview. When I got there I met with them at the exact time they specified. The interviewers were the same guys. They asked several questions and told me about some of the logistics of the position I applied for (Sales Associate). The interview lasted roughly 35 minutes. The next day the sales manager emailed me another application that asked for more personal info and the following day they offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    They offered above the average wage because of my prior experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, IN

I applied in-person – interviewed at Guitar Center.

An absolute pleasure and informative interview. Gary at the Greenwood Indiana store did my interview and guided me through the hiring process. No one could ever ask for a better boss. Cat makes you feel like family the first time you walk through the door.

Interview Questions
    • There were a couple unexpected questions, most pertained to a situation that was relevant at the time.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in April 2014.

Interviews were run of the mill, nothing to unexpected or off the wall. Very laid back, and quick. All questions were typical and easy to answer. Every interview was basically the same questions just different managers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Guitar Center in April 2014.

I went to my local Guitar Center store to buy some strings and picks; my girlfriend bought a harmonica as well. Growing up in the Houston area, I was very familiar with most of the staff, and on the way out asked the girl at the exit desk about open positions available at the store. She told me the application process starts online and that job availability would be found on the company website. I filled the prescreen out that night. It was just providing basic information, followed by a short employee questionnaire/quiz consisting of questions about common sense job etiquette. Upon finishing this I waited about three to four days, then called the store to enquire about my application. The store informed me that the manager was out of town. I followed up again in person four days later, and was told the manager was in a meeting but that he would meet with me if I waited. I waited 30 minutes, then left my phone number and name. I then called three days later and asked for an interview, which I was given. The interview was with the assistant manager, as the manager was out of town again. The interview was relaxed, and very laid back. I wore a single color button down shirt and corduroy pants. I pulled my dreadlocks back, and made sure my beard had clean, straight lines. I typed up a short resume/cover letter of my personal experience in the field, and my prior schooling. The interview lasted 30 minutes or so, and was mostly spent talking in a free conversation about all things music and gear related. At the end of the interview, the assistant manager told me I was the most qualified person for the job and that I should have no problem getting the job once I meet with the store manager. He told me he'd leave a recommendation for me in the managers office. I followed up by phone after the weekend and was told to come in to meet with the manager. The final interview was a little more business minded at first but quickly boiled down into relaxed conversation. At the end of the interview the manager informed me that I had only filled out the employee prescreen and not the whole application. He immediately emailed me an application and instructed me to complete it in order for him to move on to the next step in hiring. I did so as soon as I left and was offered the position via telephone two days later.

Interview Questions
    • All interview experiences were rather easy going and relaxed. I brought a short but detailed resume/cover letter with my personal experiences and education relative to the job. Doing this reduced the need for most questions.   Answer Question
    Negotiations weren't really available. Starting pay was offered to me at a dollar over minimum wage, plus sales commission. The job has in-store perks, and as a full time employee you're offered benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guitar Center.

I filled out the online application and submitted it to the appropriate store. I was initially told to call back in a week's time. I did so, and was again asked to call back in a week's time. During the second call, I was asked to go in for the interview (along with two other people). The interview process was a bit more relaxed than other places (the store manager had a couch in his office). He reviewed my application, and was simply asking questions based off of my answers. I got the "We'll let you know" answer. Soon after, I had decided to sell a piece of gear, and agreed to meet the buyer at Guitar Center's parking lot. After the sale, I decided one more time to get the job. I spoke with the store manager for a few minutes, after which he agreed to let me have the job.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't say any of the questions I got were particularly difficult. Because this was a job I knew I could do, being an amateur audio engineer at the time, I wouldn't have had any problem selling the gear.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Guitar Center.

Very friendly conversational interview. Dress business casual (it's a retail job but good impressions count). Prepare for some basic informational style interview questions. There was an online personality test, a brief phone interview, and a 1:1 interview with the store mgr. All aspects of the process handled very professionally.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever been late, explain? Tell me about a time something didn't go your way? Have you ever had a conflict with an coworker, how did you handle that?   Answer Question

Simultaneously offered a salaried position at a different company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Guitar Center.

Went in for an open interview process. Waited for about 45 minutes, as there were a lot of people waiting for an interview. Eventually, I was called back to the back office. One of the sales floor managers who I was familiar with from previous personal sale experiences interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the difference between tube tone and solid-state tone.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Pretty basic questions regarding sales and general music knowledge. Mostly attempting to gauge what your personality type is, how personable you are, and your knowledge of music and their gear. Sell yourself.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between a cardiod and and condenser mic?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Guitar Center.

I got an interview by walking in to purchase a pack of strings, and asking to speak with the store manager while I was there. I dropped off my resume with him and he got a feel for me which he counted as my first interview. I had one more subsequent interview with the Sales and Training Manager before I was hired on

Interview Questions
    There weren't any negotiable options I was able to take advantage of.