Guitar Center

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Guitar Center in April 2014.

Interview Details – Interviews were run of the mill, nothing to unexpected or off the wall. Very laid back, and quick. All questions were typical and easy to answer. Every interview was basically the same questions just different managers.

Interview Question – Why did you leave your last job?   Answer Question

Greenwood, IN

I applied in-person and interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details – An absolute pleasure and informative interview. Gary at the Greenwood Indiana store did my interview and guided me through the hiring process. No one could ever ask for a better boss. Cat makes you feel like family the first time you walk through the door.

Interview Question – There were a couple unexpected questions, most pertained to a situation that was relevant at the time.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Guitar Center in February 2012.

Interview Details – Quit simple. basic questions about the instruments depending on which position you apply to. got a little bit technical, but if you know anything about instruments it should be pretty easy. great people.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Kirkland, WA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Guitar Center in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was a customer that knew more than the other sales people on the floor and would often help. This caught the attention of the store manager who offered me a job.

Interview Question – The most difficult part was leaving the job I had, which I liked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I had to be willing to accept their entry level pay.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Guitar Center in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interview with Sales Manager and Store Manager. But this was in 2003...

Interview Question – Gear knowledge questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – was not one

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Guitar Center in April 2014.

Interview Details – I went to my local Guitar Center store to buy some strings and picks; my girlfriend bought a harmonica as well. Growing up in the Houston area, I was very familiar with most of the staff, and on the way out asked the girl at the exit desk about open positions available at the store. She told me the application process starts online and that job availability would be found on the company website. I filled the prescreen out that night. It was just providing basic information, followed by a short employee questionnaire/quiz consisting of questions about common sense job etiquette. Upon finishing this I waited about three to four days, then called the store to enquire about my application. The store informed me that the manager was out of town. I followed up again in person four days later, and was told the manager was in a meeting but that he would meet with me if I waited. I waited 30 minutes, then left my phone number and name. I then called three days later and asked for an interview, which I was given. The interview was with the assistant manager, as the manager was out of town again. The interview was relaxed, and very laid back. I wore a single color button down shirt and corduroy pants. I pulled my dreadlocks back, and made sure my beard had clean, straight lines. I typed up a short resume/cover letter of my personal experience in the field, and my prior schooling. The interview lasted 30 minutes or so, and was mostly spent talking in a free conversation about all things music and gear related. At the end of the interview, the assistant manager told me I was the most qualified person for the job and that I should have no problem getting the job once I meet with the store manager. He told me he'd leave a recommendation for me in the managers office. I followed up by phone after the weekend and was told to come in to meet with the manager. The final interview was a little more business minded at first but quickly boiled down into relaxed conversation. At the end of the interview the manager informed me that I had only filled out the employee prescreen and not the whole application. He immediately emailed me an application and instructed me to complete it in order for him to move on to the next step in hiring. I did so as soon as I left and was offered the position via telephone two days later.

Interview Question – All interview experiences were rather easy going and relaxed. I brought a short but detailed resume/cover letter with my personal experiences and education relative to the job. Doing this reduced the need for most questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations weren't really available. Starting pay was offered to me at a dollar over minimum wage, plus sales commission. The job has in-store perks, and as a full time employee you're offered benefits.

Nashville, TN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details – I filled out the online application and submitted it to the appropriate store. I was initially told to call back in a week's time. I did so, and was again asked to call back in a week's time. During the second call, I was asked to go in for the interview (along with two other people). The interview process was a bit more relaxed than other places (the store manager had a couch in his office). He reviewed my application, and was simply asking questions based off of my answers. I got the "We'll let you know" answer. Soon after, I had decided to sell a piece of gear, and agreed to meet the buyer at Guitar Center's parking lot. After the sale, I decided one more time to get the job. I spoke with the store manager for a few minutes, after which he agreed to let me have the job.

Interview Question – I wouldn't say any of the questions I got were particularly difficult. Because this was a job I knew I could do, being an amateur audio engineer at the time, I wouldn't have had any problem selling the gear.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details – Very friendly conversational interview. Dress business casual (it's a retail job but good impressions count). Prepare for some basic informational style interview questions. There was an online personality test, a brief phone interview, and a 1:1 interview with the store mgr. All aspects of the process handled very professionally.

Interview Question – Have you ever been late, explain? Tell me about a time something didn't go your way? Have you ever had a conflict with an coworker, how did you handle that?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Simultaneously offered a salaried position at a different company.

Danbury, CT

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Guitar Center in February 2013.

Interview Details – Went in for one interview, spoke to an assistant manager. Came back the next day and spoke to her and the store manager. Came back a final time and did paper work. I did the initial application on their website.

Interview Question – None. I know a lot about guitars, computers, and sound systems prior to the job so nothing caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered, and I accepted

Flint, MI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details – Went in for an open interview process. Waited for about 45 minutes, as there were a lot of people waiting for an interview. Eventually, I was called back to the back office. One of the sales floor managers who I was familiar with from previous personal sale experiences interviewed me.

Interview Question – Describe the difference between tube tone and solid-state tone.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Guitar Center

Worked for Guitar Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Guitar Center Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Guitar Center employees and interview candidates.