Gulfstream Aerospace

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Interior Designer Level I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Gulfstream Aerospace in May 2012.

Interviewed for the Dallas location in May 2012. Initially contacted by the HR Manager to set up a phone interview with the Design Manager. When the Design Manager called, I was supposed to be speaking with a panel of two other interviewers, but they were unavailable so the interview proceeded one-on-one with the manager. She asked me basic questions regarding my background and resume. Upon successful completion of the phone interview, she let me know that they would call me to ask me to come up to Dallas for a panel interview. She did warn me that it would take a while to be in contact, because they were shorthanded and busy, most likely I'd hear back in 3 weeks.

After the three weeks, HR called me back and asked me to come for a panel interview. This interview consisted of a 5 person panel, consisting of the Design Manager, HR Manager, Designer, and Sales Execs. I was asked a round of questions by each person, mostly behavioral or specific job questions and the interview lasted an hour. After this interview, I was told if I were selected for the final pool I'd be contacted promptly for the final interview.

After a week, I was contacted again and was told I would now speak with the Director of Design. I arrived for my final interview and was surprised that I was met with another panel interview, only this time including the Director. Questions were similar to the last interview, but the Director asked more general questions towards the end.

Overall, the interview process was a great learning experience. As an entry level designer, I gained many lessons from the panel interview questions and learned a lot about this reputable company. They are known as one of the best in the industry and it seemed like the employees genuinely enjoy working there.

Cons about the process -My final interview was the first week of June 2012 and I was not contacted back about the hiring decision for three weeks. I made weekly phone calls and emails to HR and the Design Manager in regards to the position, as I felt that I deserved the courtesy of whether I was chosen or not. Finally after four weeks, (July 2012) the Design Manager called me back to let me know I was not chosen, but she was polite and gave me some positive criticism. Another note, I had to travel to Dallas for the interviews, twice, and was told that my mileage would be reimbursed. After my final interview, they were able to reimburse me for one trip, but did not have enough petty cash for my second. They promised that they would send a check in the mail for the rest of my reimbursement. When I brought this to the Design Manager's attention over our phone call, she assured me that they were working on it and that she spoke to accounting and I should receive it soon. It's been 3 weeks since that phone call, and I still haven't received the remaining check.

Interview Questions
  • Have you ever made a decision where the outcome didn't turn out the way you expected? If so, what did you learn from it?   Answer Question