Gymboree Play and Music

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music in May 2014.

Interview Details – Was invited in for what was called a "hands-on group interview" and to dress casually. When I arrived, The interviewer handed me paperwork to fill out and told me to make a name tag for myself. As everyone started showing up ( I was the first to arrive) she gave us another 5 minutes to finish up what we were working on since we needed to get started with the interview. She had us sit on the floor in a circle and another girl who was a supervisor was there to help demonstrate introducing a piece of Play & Learn equipment for us to mimic. We were asked in the email to prepare a song and after introducing ourselves with our names and favorite TV show, she had us go around and sing our songs. She gave us a little bit of company background then had us go introduce the Over/Under bridge where the main goal is to say these three important things: What it is, what developmental skill it teaches, and what safety reminder applied. She did it twice and then it the interviewer called for all of us to take turns but didn't give us an order we just went up when we felt ready. It was a bit awkward because no one really wanted to go first, everyone was nervous and one girl choked so bad she had to stop in the middle of what she was doing and let a few others take a turn before she felt confident enough to go back up. After that nightmare, we went back to the mat when the interviewer allowed us time to ask some questions. Then she sent us to finish our paperwork while she and the other supervisor presumably discussed the candidates. We were told to come one by one to repeat a song they'd taught us and I was asked a few more specific questions about my work history and availability. After a couple days I got an email saying me know that I had not been chosen but that my file would be kept in consideration for future positions.

Interview Question – How many of you are here today because you want to sell?   View Answer

Instructor Interview

Instructor

Interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music

Interview Details – Applied by sending my resume to the email that was provided on the craigslist ad. Immediately received a call asking for my most convenient interview date. Asked a few behavioral questions. Overall, very laid back and easy. Asked me to dance and sing. After the interview, I was immediately offered the job.

Interview Question – Questions about reacting to a certain situation with a child and a parent.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Teacher

I applied in-person - interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music in May 2013.

Interview Details – More of an Audition. You are asked to sing songs and jump around like the Play and Music Teachers would.

Columbia, MD

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music in January 2012.

Interview Details – I applied from an add on careerbuilder. I got a call in less than a week to come in and observe a class. I came in, and afterwards was asked to sing a simple song just for the manager. A few days later I was called in for a one on one interview with the manager from a different site (millersville) She asked some pretty standard questions, nothing out of the ordinary. The next day I had to come in for a group interview where there were 6 other people. We had to lead the group in a song, and then highlight some of the activities as if we were teaching a class. The next day I was offered the position.

Interview Question – "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none. They asked for my schedule, and told me the pay was $11.50/hr.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a screening phone call where they asked about my previous experience with kids, if I was familiar with the program, and why I would be a great contribution to the team. I was called back and invited to a group interview. Then I received my offer e-mail inviting me to orientation.

Interview Question – The most difficult thing to do during the group interview is perform a song and dance during the group interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was necessary the pay was more than I was expecting from the company.

Music Teacher Interview

Music Teacher
Millersville, MD

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music in January 2013.

Interview Details – Group interview that consist of singing and problem solving. Like most group interviews this will pit you against all of the other people in the group. There were a good number of people that interviewed with me that I would have considered qualified but did not get hired.

Interview Question – Asking you to lead the group in a song, easy for some, hard for others.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none

Very Easy Interview

Long Island City, NY

I applied online and interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music.

Interview Details – Emailed after seeing an ad, was welcomed to come check out a class and started right after. There was no formal interview, I didn't meet the boss until months later and that was a brief visit.

Interview Question – Nothing. It was extremely easy.   Answer Question

Fremont, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was invited to an interview via email. I was told wear casual and comfortable clothes to the interview and to plan on singing one child's song. There was a group of about 12 candidates. We sat in a circle, introduced ourselves and then did a group interview with questions. We were asked easy questions like "what would you do if a child was crying' or "what would you do if a parent asked you about the crawl tunnel (purchase area)." After the questions, we went around the circle and sang our songs. The other candidates participated. We also listened to music and were asked to follow the beat with a child's instrument.

Interview Question – The questions were all pretty easy.   Answer Question

Teacher - Part-time Interview

Teacher - Part-time
Concord, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music in May 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was a group interview. About 5 other applicants and 3 staff members were present during the interview. They asked us to bring a pair of socks, our resume and prepare one children's song to sing. We had the interview on the floor of the gym (hence the socks), they asked us questions about our backgrounds and then taught us some songs that they always sing with a prop (Jimbo the Clown puppet). Then they asked us to sing the song we prepared. It took about 30 min or less for the whole group to finish. They said they would contact us within a week or two but I never got any response not even to tell me that I didn't get the job even after emailing them to follow up, I thought that was rude.

Interview Question – The question that threw me off was "What I would do if two kids were fighting over one toy and didn't want to share?"   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music in December 2008.

Interview Details – I responded to an add on Craigslist and communicated with the franchise owner through email to set up a group interview. The interview was held at one of the area locations in the playroom. All the interviewees were asked questions about our history in working with children and given some scenarios to respond to.

Interview Question – We were asked to sing a children's song to the group. I felt a little on the spot but did ok, some of the other interviewees seemed very uncomfortable or couldn't think of a song they knew.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I couldn't negotiate pay but I did get to negotiate hours and locations. There were several locations in the area and most of the employees work at more than one location so I was able to choose which ones I was willing to commute to and on which days.

Worked for Gymboree Play and Music? Contribute to the Community!