H E B Interview Questions in Austin, TX

Updated Aug 16, 2015

2.4

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

One short phone interview, then one in person. The phone interview asks questions about criminal history and typical interview questions. I was asked to name a time I went above and beyond for a customer.

Interview Questions

• What do you think it takes to be a cashier?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

After applying online, I went into the store to give my resume and introduce myself. I few days later, I got a call for a phone screening, and then an interview was scheduled for the next day. I had a 1:1 interview with two separate managers. In the first interview, I was asked to look at a series of pictures and explain what I saw, the rest of the interview, and the interview with the other manager, was simple questions After the interview, I had to wait for the background check to process, which took a few days, then I went into the store, signed paperwork, and received my uniform.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to apply at HEB?   Answer Question
    • If given the chance to choose, would you prefer to work in a team environment or by yourself?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you think you made a good decision.   Answer Question
    • What is something that you've done that you're proud of?   Answer Question
    • Tell about a time that you contributed to your community.   Answer Question

Over Night Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wimberley, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at H E B (Wimberley, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

the interview took place with a group, (about 12 other applicants), and started with the management introducing themselves. the group then had to tell everyone a little bit about themselves and what job they were applying for.after introductions the management had us pick items from the tables we were seated at and too come up with a way to sell it.once everyone finished selling their item people were called into the next room for a second interview.

HEB Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Room full of 4-5 people. First, the managers give you a paper with 4 questions. You stand, and answers. You are given an item, and you have to sell and convince them to buy it. Lastly, you're given a scenario in which you act upon.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and within a week or two, a manager called me for a phone screening interview. They had basic questions such as availability, previous work experience(and if you've ever gotten fired) and why do you want to work at HEB. Really Easy. I was scheduled for an interview the next day. The interview was fairly easy and laid back; it only took about 15 minutes. It was one on one with one of the managers. I was offered the position pending a background check, which took about a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Group interview is a waste of time. They will make you sit around for 3 hours, give you little products (I would have preferred food because the group interviews generally occur at meal times) but you have to do things like draw with crayons and cut/paste out of magazines (this is at Central Market locations). Then you're asked to act out scenarios in a group. The whole group (or a few at a time) will then be told that they are either going in a different direction, or to wait for it. I have no idea what they were looking for but obviously I didn't make the grade. Individual interviews, if you do get them (HEB seems very inconsistent in this, some will do the silly group interviews while others will interview individually) seems to allow you more chances to "prove" yourself. However you'll basically be asked the same generic open ended questions such as "what's a good reason to call in sick" and things of that nature. Then they will ask about experience. First time I didn't do so well, but second time I got an individual interview at another HEB location I basically went on and asked them questions about their products and company history. It got me further, even up to the VP but then I disclosed that I had a criminal conviction decades ago. They had me sign a background check thing and then I got the "rejection" email from them a week later. I would just say keep applying to different locations, or even different departments within the same location because the applications do not always cross over, and thus (I had this experience at a supermarket in Taiwan) it is possible to be rejected for one job but get hired by another department.

Interview Questions

• What's a good reason to take sick days   1 Answer

Cooking Coach Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview was easy, interviewed first with the dep manager, asked my questions that about my resume and job application. Also about work history. Was accepted for the second round of interviews, which were group interviews. If your not afraid to speak in public you should be fine. They like putting people outside of their comfort zone, but it was easy and straightforward. Pretty much give you a paper with questions that they want you to answer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a moment where you had to deal with an angry customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Round Rock, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Got a call about 2 weeks after i applied. Phone interview lasted about 10 minutes. I got asked to come in the next day for a one on one interview. Interview lasted about 1 hour. Got offered the job on the spot. Background check took about 2 days. I started yesterday :)

Assistant Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

face to face with a interview checklist. Had a group interview, presentation, and a individual interview. If passed you then had interview with the regional manager. when passed you would go through the school of retail management.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Filled out an online application, about a week and a half later was called in for an interview. Went to the interview had standard questions like , Why do you want to work for HEB, what would you do if you caught another employee stealing, etc. I was upbeat and happy during the interview and got my 2nd interview on the spot and was told I had to wait on my background check. Waited about a week and a few days then received a phone call asking if I was still interested in the position which I said yes. Went to HEB to fill out about 1 1/2 hours of paperwork then scheduled a time to come back for training on computer, they give you five hours to finish it, it took me 4. Then they show you 3 classes to pick times for, Alcohol Sellers Training 2.5 hours, Checker 1 training 5 hours, Checker 2 training 5 hours. For the Checker training bring good shoes as you will be standing on a concrete floor the entire time. Pay period runs Monday- Sunday then you get paid the following Thursday by direct deposit.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to deal with a bad customer experience and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Based on experience with retail, I had none so 9.50 to start.