H E B

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied online and interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details – Simple. Asked a page full of questions. they ask how many times you called in late. they want to know if your in school. They want open availability. Very basic interview. I got asked for a second interview at the end of my first interview

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in customer service.   Answer Question

Bookkeeper Interview

Bookkeeper
San Marcos, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B in February 2013.

Interview Details – Panel interview consisted of Current Bookkeeping Lead, Assistant Store Director, and current Central Checkout Manager. I was one of 17 people interviewing for the position. We all waited in the break room until we were called one at a time. I was asked several questions, and was sent on my way.

Interview Question – "What are three of your strengths as a partner?"   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B in May 2010.

Interview Details – Very simple process. Drop a resume, and follow up with calls until they get back to you about an interview. Then, a simple one on one interview. This isn't rocket science.

Interview Question – Asking about how you would handle difficult customer interactions. Definitely some hypothetical situations.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B in June 2011.

Interview Details – One on one interview, typical interview questions.

Interview Question – Name a time you had to overcome a problem as a team.
Name a time you had to overcome a personal problem.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Wages are set by corporate.

Checker Interview

Checker
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H E B in January 2012.

Interview Details – Did a telephone interview first. Then I came in a few days later and did a group interview, that was different and fun.

Negotiation Details – Didn't have too!

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B in August 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a response within a week. They asked me to come in for an interview, so I did. When I got there, I waited in the break room with two other potential hires for an house until finally, one of them asked what was going on. Turns out, they told us all the wrong time and date. Did not go back. Not worth it.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for H E B?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Round Rock, TX

I applied online and interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details – Two interviews, if you pass the first one they tell you about the second interview and offer for you to have it that day or schedule for a different day. I did both in one day as the interviews were pretty short.

Interview Question – What would you do if you thought a co-worker was stealing?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Checker Interview

Checker
Austin, TX

I applied in-person - interviewed at H E B in June 2008.

Interview Details – I turned in about 10 applications before they finally called me back. When they did there was a regular interview where they asked me behavioral questions .Then I was invited to a second interview. This was essentially a room of people in a circle. Here you were to sell a product to the interviewers and then participate in role playing activities.

Interview Question – There really weren't any difficult questions. Just the usual that you expect, things like "Why do you want to work here?"

For the "round table" part, we had to sell a product that was under our chairs we sat down on. There were also role playing situations where the interviewers would pretend to be disgruntled customers.
  Answer Question

Full Case DP II Interview

Full Case DP II
San Marcos, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at H E B in August 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted application online. Received call the next day. Set up an interview for the following week. Initial interview was mostly explaining the job, hours, and pay. Was asked what kind of experience I had. Asked if I could work long hours, holidays, and weekends. Was told that if I was being considered for the job I would need to come for 2nd interview and pass a criminal background, drug screen, and physical fit test.

Interview Question – Can you describe a time in the past when you were able to maintain focus on a task while being distracted.   Answer Question

Seafood Sales Interview

Seafood Sales
Austin, TX

The process took 2 days - interviewed at H E B in January 2012.

Interview Details – I applied to the job because it seemed like they wanted sales experience which I have. In the first interview I got the impression that the job included unloading 60# boxes of frozen cod from trucks - which I am not able to do and I made that clear. Still the interviewer told me I was going to be called in for a second interview. This interview was done by a manager who seemed to be one or two rungs above the first interviewer. There were a lot of questions and I had to give a sales presentation on the beverage I was drinking. I was then directed to the floor to do a food demonstration at the seafood counter. Since I was a little bit dressed up I asked for an apron and was brought a giant rubber apron - which I graciously donned although I think I should have just taken my chances with the food spilling on me. I offered people shopping in the store tastes of a new food product they were introducing while the two managers stood at a distance and watched me. Afterward they came up to me and said I did a great job and they would be calling me. When I got home I checked my email and there was a form message: "The search to locate an ideal candidate for the ------------ has provided H-E-B with many outstanding applicants such as you and we sincerely appreciate your time and effort. At this time we are proceeding forward with other candidates."
You are welcome to apply for any open position at www.heb.com/careers.
Thank you again!
H-E-B Careers

I think the email was sent before I even got to my house. They had seemed so positive I decided to be brave and just call the first interviewer to make sure the email wasn't a mistake. He said he didn't know that those emails got sent and he had planned to call me personally. He said I wouldn't be able to do the job because I couldn't lift 60# boxes of frozen codfish! Why did they call me in for that 2nd interview?...I didn't ask because I figured since the interviewer seemed to like me he might be a good reference if another more appropriate job came up.

I've received 8 or 9 of these little form rejections. I think the thing that bothers me on these HEB interviews is the lack of feed back. They really ask you to put your heart into the interview process sharing intimate details of your life, doing impromtu skits in group interviews and then there is absolutly no feed-back as to why you weren't hired.

Interview Question – When was the last time you went out of your way for another person?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at H E B

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!