H E B Interview Questions in Austin, TX

2.2

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Checker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H E B in July 2014.

The first interview was the phone interview - a manager will call and ask basic interview questions. Answer the questions the best you can and if they like you, they'll ask you to come in for a group interview.

At the group interview, we all sat in a semi-circle facing four managers who would later on decide who stays and who goes. The first thing we did was a little "about me" activity where we would have to present ourselves to the panel of managers and other applicants. Next, we were partnered up and did a "sell me this product" activity. You were given a random product and had to sell the product the best you could. The last activity we did was a hypothetical scenario reenactment. Each applicant was given a random scenario and was told to read it and explain/act out how they would solve the problem at hand. All in all, the group interview was surprisingly very fun. Just don't be shy, and don't be scared to get out of your comfort zone.

The final interview is a 1:1 with the UD. My UD was very laid back and seemed cool. He is the final person between you and your future career at HEB. I was asked about 10 basic interview questions. It was really easy and simple. None of the questions took me longer than 3 seconds to think about. At the end, if he likes you, you're a "GO". Be comfortable and make sure to be truthful. Bring a resume just in case!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at H-E-B?

Why should I hire you? (And not somebody else)
        View Answer
    No negotiation. A base salary was set and started filling out paperwork.

HEB Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online – interviewed at H E B.

Simple. Asked a page full of questions. they ask how many times you called in late. they want to know if your in school. They want open availability. Very basic interview. I got asked for a second interview at the end of my first interview

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

I applied online – interviewed at H E B.

Two interviews, if you pass the first one they tell you about the second interview and offer for you to have it that day or schedule for a different day. I did both in one day as the interviews were pretty short.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you thought a co-worker was stealing?   Answer Question
    None.

Bookkeeper Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B in February 2013.

Panel interview consisted of Current Bookkeeping Lead, Assistant Store Director, and current Central Checkout Manager. I was one of 17 people interviewing for the position. We all waited in the break room until we were called one at a time. I was asked several questions, and was sent on my way.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H E B in August 2012.

I applied online and received a response within a week. They asked me to come in for an interview, so I did. When I got there, I waited in the break room with two other potential hires for an house until finally, one of them asked what was going on. Turns out, they told us all the wrong time and date. Did not go back. Not worth it.

Full Case DP II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at H E B in August 2012.

Submitted application online. Received call the next day. Set up an interview for the following week. Initial interview was mostly explaining the job, hours, and pay. Was asked what kind of experience I had. Asked if I could work long hours, holidays, and weekends. Was told that if I was being considered for the job I would need to come for 2nd interview and pass a criminal background, drug screen, and physical fit test.

Interview Questions
    • Can you describe a time in the past when you were able to maintain focus on a task while being distracted.   Answer Question

Checker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H E B in January 2012.

Did a telephone interview first. Then I came in a few days later and did a group interview, that was different and fun.

Didn't have too!

Seafood Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at H E B in January 2012.

I applied to the job because it seemed like they wanted sales experience which I have. In the first interview I got the impression that the job included unloading 60# boxes of frozen cod from trucks - which I am not able to do and I made that clear. Still the interviewer told me I was going to be called in for a second interview. This interview was done by a manager who seemed to be one or two rungs above the first interviewer. There were a lot of questions and I had to give a sales presentation on the beverage I was drinking. I was then directed to the floor to do a food demonstration at the seafood counter. Since I was a little bit dressed up I asked for an apron and was brought a giant rubber apron - which I graciously donned although I think I should have just taken my chances with the food spilling on me. I offered people shopping in the store tastes of a new food product they were introducing while the two managers stood at a distance and watched me. Afterward they came up to me and said I did a great job and they would be calling me. When I got home I checked my email and there was a form message: "The search to locate an ideal candidate for the ------------ has provided H-E-B with many outstanding applicants such as you and we sincerely appreciate your time and effort. At this time we are proceeding forward with other candidates."
    You are welcome to apply for any open position at www.heb.com/careers.
    Thank you again!
    H-E-B Careers

I think the email was sent before I even got to my house. They had seemed so positive I decided to be brave and just call the first interviewer to make sure the email wasn't a mistake. He said he didn't know that those emails got sent and he had planned to call me personally. He said I wouldn't be able to do the job because I couldn't lift 60# boxes of frozen codfish! Why did they call me in for that 2nd interview?...I didn't ask because I figured since the interviewer seemed to like me he might be a good reference if another more appropriate job came up.

I've received 8 or 9 of these little form rejections. I think the thing that bothers me on these HEB interviews is the lack of feed back. They really ask you to put your heart into the interview process sharing intimate details of your life, doing impromtu skits in group interviews and then there is absolutly no feed-back as to why you weren't hired.

Interview Questions
    • When was the last time you went out of your way for another person?   Answer Question

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bastrop, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bastrop, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at H E B in August 2011.

I was interviewed by a pharmacist and the pharm tech trainer. They asked me questions about the pharm tech school program I attended and about my experience with customer service. They also showed me a series of pictures and asked me what I saw (a friendly face, a customer who needs help, etc). They then showed me around the pharmacy and asked me if I had any questions. They were both very friendly and warm, which I think promoted confidence in me and allowed me to do the best possible interview I could have done. As a result, they offered the job to me the next day even though they were supposed to call at the end of the week to schedule second interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What did you dislike most about your least favorite job?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to work at HEB?   View Answer

I was offered a position in a closed door pharmacy.

HEB Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B in June 2011.

One on one interview, typical interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to overcome a problem as a team.
      Name a time you had to overcome a personal problem.
        Answer Question
    No negotiation. Wages are set by corporate.