H E B

Average Difficulty
31 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B in July 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very casual. I had my interview in the break room and the interview asked the basic questions. Such as, experience with customers and examples of my work ethic.

Interview Question – None were difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details – Easy, but must have open availability to get hired faster. They're looking for customer service oriented people. Tell them what they want to hear with ways you exhibit those qualities.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you handled a difficult upset customer situation...   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – None. Standard wages.

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details – Got called back a day later. Woman was rude and acted like no one was good enough for the position. Unusual group interview. Seemed very unorganized.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Bryan, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at H E B in February 2011.

Interview Details – It is a group interview so be prepared to think creatively and outside the box

Interview Question – Why should I not hire you?   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied in-person and interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details – The interview process was in a group setting which I was unprepared for but quickly adjusted to. The interview was fun as it consisted of mock selling games where we were given an item to sell to the rest of the group. At the interview the manager requested my contact phone number and I was called immediately after for an offer.

Interview Question – Group setting was unexpected.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details – It took them about Two hours after i submitted my application to call me for an interview. ONce there i talked to one of teh genral managers. The interview was easy, asked me basic about you questions, and then they showed me some pictures and told me to give my output on the pictures. After that interetview i was immeaditly sent to another one the same day. Then after talking to another manager they asked me to come back tomorow for another interview with the store manager. When i talked to him, he was really nice and calmed. All teh interview was seeing if i was a "good fit" for the job. and after that i was handed some paper work to fill out and i was sent off to training ( that took four days 8 hours) then i was put on the stands.

Interview Question – It was all really simple and easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation for the pay. But they did give me what i asked for in my application.

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at H E B in June 2009.

Interview Details – There are usually 3 interviews. The first is the phone interview. Second is with your department manager. The last is a group interview with store leadership.

Interview Question – What's your favorite kind of soda?   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details – A group interview consisting of judges and giving everyone task to do with crayons and paper and answering some questions during the whole thing. The interview felt pretty easy going and relaxed but unprofessional. It was like a screening into a kids clubhouse where you'd get in if you're cool enough, but for HEB it was like you needed to be bubbly. Even if you are outgoing and social, it wasn't enough. They want people with 'oh-so-wacky' personalities they can use to sell later. So if you're called for a group interview be prepared to sell yourself and lose your selfrespect.

Interview Question – Generic questions like "Why do you want to work here?", etc. and making a name tag, drawing a picture of what you see yourself doing if you were working for HEB, and sell a product to the judges.   Answer Question

Killeen, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B in September 2013.

Interview Details – I've applied to HEB lasted week and received a phone interview, for the phone interview they ask you what do think is important in providing good customer service, if they like what you said they'll ask you to come in the next day for a group interview. It was about 7 of us, that sat in a circle, some people that work for HEB and a supervisor. First thing they told us that they just want you to be yourself so if you're shy, you gotta shake that off. You had to tell alittle about yourself. Then they placed an item underneath your chair and you had to think of a sale strategy to sell to the customer, they just want to see how you interact with people. After that they had you pick a card about a customer scenerio on how would you handle that situation..pretty simple. If you made it through the group interview you'll here something from them in 3 days to have a 1-on-1 interview with one of the managers, then another interview with the big boss. Unfortunately I didn't make it to the second round because I was too nervous and I didn't show them my true self.

Interview Question – There was none.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details – I applied online for a part time position as a cashier. No more than 5 days later, I got a call inviting me to a group interview which would take place the very next day. There were about 15 total applicants, and all of us were put in a room, and seated at tables that circled the room. There were two managers that conducted the interview. They basically introduced themselves, did a little bit of talking for a while about the company and things like that.

The first thing we were asked to do was to make a name tag type thing using a sheet of paper and a marker, which we were to sit in front of us on the table. They also asked us to stand up, say our name, and to tell everyone our favorite food. We then were given 5 minutes or so to draw ourselves performing the work (position) we applied for (cashier,bagger,stocker, ect.), and where we saw ourselves in 5 years.

After this, we were asked to show everyone our drawing, and to explain it. They had an assortment of many different types of fruits and vegetables sitting on a table in the center of the room. The majority of them being very unfamiliar (purposely) We were asked to pick one, and to create a name for it, tell where it came from, and what it's used for. They stressed the point that we did not need to actually know what the fruits were, but to be creative. We then were asked to present our fruit/veggie to everyone in the room.

The last thing they asked everyone, was what job we would not be willing to do at HEB. This is probably a big key to making it to the 2nd interview. You do not want to tell them an actual job you wouldn't want to do. Just try and say you would be willing to do anything, as long as you were trained for it, and that you feel there are opportunities for advancement, and that you feel your role, no matter what, can be important, and can contribute to the overall success of the company.

I made it through to a second interview, which was a 1 on 1 with one of the managers who conducted the initial group interview. I was asked about my availability, and a little bit about my work history, and also around 10 interview questions. A couple of them were a little tricky. One of the most important is 'why do you want to work for HEB?'

I was told they had a position for me, but that I would start out bagging, instead of cashiering, to see if I really was serious about the job.

Interview Question – What has been one of the greatest challenges you've overcome on a job?
What would you do if a customer became angry about their groceries previously being bagged the wrong way, and suggested they bag their own groceries? What would you do if you were cashiering in a 10 items or less line, and someone brought more than 10 items, and you did not realize it till after the fact?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pretty much no negotiation, take it or leave it.

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!