H E B Checker Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and within a week or two, a manager called me for a phone screening interview. They had basic questions such as availability, previous work experience(and if you've ever gotten fired) and why do you want to work at HEB. Really Easy. I was scheduled for an interview the next day. The interview was fairly easy and laid back; it only took about 15 minutes. It was one on one with one of the managers. I was offered the position pending a background check, which took about a week.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for H E B

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Group interview is a waste of time. They will make you sit around for 3 hours, give you little products (I would have preferred food because the group interviews generally occur at meal times) but you have to do things like draw with crayons and cut/paste out of magazines (this is at Central Market locations). Then you're asked to act out scenarios in a group. The whole group (or a few at a time) will then be told that they are either going in a different direction, or to wait for it. I have no idea what they were looking for but obviously I didn't make the grade.

Individual interviews, if you do get them (HEB seems very inconsistent in this, some will do the silly group interviews while others will interview individually) seems to allow you more chances to "prove" yourself. However you'll basically be asked the same generic open ended questions such as "what's a good reason to call in sick" and things of that nature. Then they will ask about experience. First time I didn't do so well, but second time I got an individual interview at another HEB location I basically went on and asked them questions about their products and company history. It got me further, even up to the VP but then I disclosed that I had a criminal conviction decades ago. They had me sign a background check thing and then I got the "rejection" email from them a week later.

I would just say keep applying to different locations, or even different departments within the same location because the applications do not always cross over, and thus (I had this experience at a supermarket in Taiwan) it is possible to be rejected for one job but get hired by another department.

Interview Questions

• What's a good reason to take sick days   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at H E B (Round Rock, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Got a call about 2 weeks after i applied.
    Phone interview lasted about 10 minutes.
    I got asked to come in the next day for a one on one interview.
    Interview lasted about 1 hour.
    Got offered the job on the spot.
    Background check took about 2 days.
    I started yesterday :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Was asked a few questions about teamwork and how I could handle customer service and what team work meant to me. A few other questions about the jobs I had in the past although I had only had one and that was being a waitress.

Interview Questions

• If i could use one word, how would I describe teamwork   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

The first interview was the phone interview - a manager will call and ask basic interview questions. Answer the questions the best you can and if they like you, they'll ask you to come in for a group interview.

At the group interview, we all sat in a semi-circle facing four managers who would later on decide who stays and who goes. The first thing we did was a little "about me" activity where we would have to present ourselves to the panel of managers and other applicants. Next, we were partnered up and did a "sell me this product" activity. You were given a random product and had to sell the product the best you could. The last activity we did was a hypothetical scenario reenactment. Each applicant was given a random scenario and was told to read it and explain/act out how they would solve the problem at hand. All in all, the group interview was surprisingly very fun. Just don't be shy, and don't be scared to get out of your comfort zone.

The final interview is a 1:1 with the UD. My UD was very laid back and seemed cool. He is the final person between you and your future career at HEB. I was asked about 10 basic interview questions. It was really easy and simple. None of the questions took me longer than 3 seconds to think about. At the end, if he likes you, you're a "GO". Be comfortable and make sure to be truthful. Bring a resume just in case!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at H-E-B?

Why should I hire you? (And not somebody else)

1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. A base salary was set and started filling out paperwork.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

It was somewhat like a job fair because I guess so many people applied for the position. They interviewed each candidate separately and once the interview concluded, they let you know if you get to come back for the second round of interviews. Thw second round consisted of a group interview in front of 3-4 managers. After this has concluded they tell you if they want to hire on-by-one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B (San Antonio, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

Straightforward, no trickery. Objectives seemed to revolve around initiative taking and "doing the right thing". After applying online expect a call back in about a week to a week and a half. Checkers and all partners dealing with cash handling will also have a second interview with the Ops Leader of the store

Interview Questions

• What would you do in (x) situation when a customer became angry?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B (San Antonio, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

I was first interviewed by the lead manger for central checkout. She asked about scenarios and how I would react to them. After I finished with her, a few days I went back and got interviewed by thy store manager. His interview was more of trying to get to know me. My personality and my likes and dislikes. Then he asked about my weaknesses and strengths

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B (Houston, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online and received a call 3 days later for a group interview. The group interview was with store managers and 7 other applicants. The interview consisted of drawing what you see yourself doing at H-E-B, selling an item to a customer and what jobs you would/wouldn't like to do. I received a call about 3 days later for a 1:1 interview I was asked a series of questions like "Why do you want to work for H-E-B?" Etc.. I got a call saying a got the job but I needed to do a background check first this took about a week. I came in to do new hire paperwork and I have orientation Tuesday.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not sure yet. I will find out all details at orientation.

Checker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H E B in October 2013.

Interview

I applied and they called me the same week asking if I was still interested in the job. I said yes and they asked what time I would be available. I had a one on one interview in the manager's office. It felt pretty casual.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you went out of your way to help someone.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They don't really mind you asking questions about hours and they act like nine dollars an hour isn't nearly enough and expect you to want more (which I did not since TX min wage is 7.25). They seem to want to cater to your life.