H E B

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Spring Branch, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B in October 2009.

Interview Details – Had 2 interviews?? don't quote me, then the final one I was hired after just graduating high school.

Interview Question – none, just be prepared!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really because of lack of experience so I could not negotiate hourly wage.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call 3 days later for a group interview. The group interview was with store managers and 7 other applicants. The interview consisted of drawing what you see yourself doing at H-E-B, selling an item to a customer and what jobs you would/wouldn't like to do. I received a call about 3 days later for a 1:1 interview I was asked a series of questions like "Why do you want to work for H-E-B?" Etc.. I got a call saying a got the job but I needed to do a background check first this took about a week. I came in to do new hire paperwork and I have orientation Tuesday.

Interview Question – What would you do with irate customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not sure yet. I will find out all details at orientation.

Checker

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied and they called me the same week asking if I was still interested in the job. I said yes and they asked what time I would be available. I had a one on one interview in the manager's office. It felt pretty casual.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you went out of your way to help someone.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They don't really mind you asking questions about hours and they act like nine dollars an hour isn't nearly enough and expect you to want more (which I did not since TX min wage is 7.25). They seem to want to cater to your life.

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H E B in January 2012.

Interview Details – Did a telephone interview first. Then I came in a few days later and did a group interview, that was different and fun.

Negotiation Details – Didn't have too!

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B in July 2012.

Interview Details – You do a group interview first where they get to know a little bit more about you, its pretty fun. They ask you to make up products and sell them to them, and also make up some other scenarios. Then they will let you know if you get called back for a second interview. If you do, then the schedule a one on one interview the following week which was really relaxed. My interviewer was really nice, she made me feel comfortable and gave me feedback.

Interview Question – Tell me about you greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Checker

I applied online - interviewed at H E B in February 2013.

Interview Details – Apply for the job and got a call to come for a group interview. Then got call back for a 2nd interview which I thought was good but.....

Interview Question – Behavioral question   Answer Question

Checker

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details – it was a group interview. they give you paper and crayons and ask you to draw the job your applying for. after that, you do these group activities. then the interview ends with the manager talking to us about the job.

Interview Question – asked you the stuff that you are not comfortable to do   Answer Question

Houston, TX

Interview Details – While it seems silly to play along what they're asking you to do at the group interview, keep in mind that it's a "weeding out" process. 2 out of 12 got picked at mine. 1-Familiarize yourself w/ their sales ad, especially their meal deal bc you may be asked to assemble your own as a team & present it (they're looking to see how you work as a team). 2-Sell yourself. Tell them what you will do for THEM, highlighting your qualities.

Interview Questions

• TELL US WHY WE SHOULD HIRE YOU. Although I was prepared, many weren't & it showed. Some went on & on about themselves & even why they hate their current job. One person even stated bc he's been out of the workforce for a while he figured it was time to get back in.   View Answer
  • As a small team, put together a meal deal and sell it to us.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. When you come in to sign the papers the amounts are typed onto the forms.

Austin, TX

I applied in-person - interviewed at H E B in June 2008.

Interview Details – I turned in about 10 applications before they finally called me back. When they did there was a regular interview where they asked me behavioral questions .Then I was invited to a second interview. This was essentially a room of people in a circle. Here you were to sell a product to the interviewers and then participate in role playing activities.

Interview Question – There really weren't any difficult questions. Just the usual that you expect, things like "Why do you want to work here?"

For the "round table" part, we had to sell a product that was under our chairs we sat down on. There were also role playing situations where the interviewers would pretend to be disgruntled customers.
  Answer Question

Leander, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at H E B in March 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewee was a few minutes late, as she was on the phone. She took me in an office where other employees were sitting and this made me uncomfortable. She did not smile or try to put me at ease. She seemed wary of every answer I gave to her questions, such as how did I "get" this job and the next job. I wasn't sure what she was looking for and said simply, "I applied and was selected." Then she asked how many days of work I had missed in past year. I'm sure she was fishing about how many times I called in sick, not vacation, but I told her I was always at work and seldom out. She was not personable and the whole interview was uncomfortable to me. She came across as not liking me from the on-set. I had a hard times establishing a repoire with this manager. I was not selected for a job. She probably thought I was over qualified.

Interview Questions

• How did I "get" each job, the interviewer asked.   View Answer
  • How many days I missed at the job this past year.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at H E B

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at H E B Checker interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by H E B employees and interview candidates.