H E B Checker Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2014

2.3

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H E B in July 2014.

The first interview was the phone interview - a manager will call and ask basic interview questions. Answer the questions the best you can and if they like you, they'll ask you to come in for a group interview.

At the group interview, we all sat in a semi-circle facing four managers who would later on decide who stays and who goes. The first thing we did was a little "about me" activity where we would have to present ourselves to the panel of managers and other applicants. Next, we were partnered up and did a "sell me this product" activity. You were given a random product and had to sell the product the best you could. The last activity we did was a hypothetical scenario reenactment. Each applicant was given a random scenario and was told to read it and explain/act out how they would solve the problem at hand. All in all, the group interview was surprisingly very fun. Just don't be shy, and don't be scared to get out of your comfort zone.

The final interview is a 1:1 with the UD. My UD was very laid back and seemed cool. He is the final person between you and your future career at HEB. I was asked about 10 basic interview questions. It was really easy and simple. None of the questions took me longer than 3 seconds to think about. At the end, if he likes you, you're a "GO". Be comfortable and make sure to be truthful. Bring a resume just in case!

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work at H-E-B?

Why should I hire you? (And not somebody else)
      View Answer
No negotiation. A base salary was set and started filling out paperwork.

Other Interview Reviews for H E B

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B in November 2013.

Applied online and received a call 3 days later for a group interview. The group interview was with store managers and 7 other applicants. The interview consisted of drawing what you see yourself doing at H-E-B, selling an item to a customer and what jobs you would/wouldn't like to do. I received a call about 3 days later for a 1:1 interview I was asked a series of questions like "Why do you want to work for H-E-B?" Etc.. I got a call saying a got the job but I needed to do a background check first this took about a week. I came in to do new hire paperwork and I have orientation Tuesday.

Interview Questions
    Not sure yet. I will find out all details at orientation.

Checker Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H E B in October 2013.

I applied and they called me the same week asking if I was still interested in the job. I said yes and they asked what time I would be available. I had a one on one interview in the manager's office. It felt pretty casual.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you went out of your way to help someone.   Answer Question
    They don't really mind you asking questions about hours and they act like nine dollars an hour isn't nearly enough and expect you to want more (which I did not since TX min wage is 7.25). They seem to want to cater to your life.

Checker Interview

I applied online – interviewed at H E B in February 2013.

Apply for the job and got a call to come for a group interview. Then got call back for a 2nd interview which I thought was good but.....

Checker Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at H E B.

it was a group interview. they give you paper and crayons and ask you to draw the job your applying for. after that, you do these group activities. then the interview ends with the manager talking to us about the job.

Interview Questions
    • asked you the stuff that you are not comfortable to do   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B in July 2012.

While it seems silly to play along what they're asking you to do at the group interview, keep in mind that it's a "weeding out" process. 2 out of 12 got picked at mine. 1-Familiarize yourself w/ their sales ad, especially their meal deal bc you may be asked to assemble your own as a team & present it (they're looking to see how you work as a team). 2-Sell yourself. Tell them what you will do for THEM, highlighting your qualities.

Interview Questions
    • TELL US WHY WE SHOULD HIRE YOU. Although I was prepared, many weren't & it showed. Some went on & on about themselves & even why they hate their current job. One person even stated bc he's been out of the workforce for a while he figured it was time to get back in.   View Answer
    • As a small team, put together a meal deal and sell it to us.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. When you come in to sign the papers the amounts are typed onto the forms.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B in July 2012.

You do a group interview first where they get to know a little bit more about you, its pretty fun. They ask you to make up products and sell them to them, and also make up some other scenarios. Then they will let you know if you get called back for a second interview. If you do, then the schedule a one on one interview the following week which was really relaxed. My interviewer was really nice, she made me feel comfortable and gave me feedback.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H E B in January 2012.

Did a telephone interview first. Then I came in a few days later and did a group interview, that was different and fun.

Didn't have too!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leander, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leander, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at H E B in March 2011.

The interviewee was a few minutes late, as she was on the phone. She took me in an office where other employees were sitting and this made me uncomfortable. She did not smile or try to put me at ease. She seemed wary of every answer I gave to her questions, such as how did I "get" this job and the next job. I wasn't sure what she was looking for and said simply, "I applied and was selected." Then she asked how many days of work I had missed in past year. I'm sure she was fishing about how many times I called in sick, not vacation, but I told her I was always at work and seldom out. She was not personable and the whole interview was uncomfortable to me. She came across as not liking me from the on-set. I had a hard times establishing a repoire with this manager. I was not selected for a job. She probably thought I was over qualified.

Interview Questions
    • How did I "get" each job, the interviewer asked.   View Answer
    • How many days I missed at the job this past year.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring Branch, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring Branch, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at H E B in October 2009.

Had 2 interviews?? don't quote me, then the final one I was hired after just graduating high school.

Interview Questions
    Not really because of lack of experience so I could not negotiate hourly wage.