H E B

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Spring, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details – You do a group interview, and they split you up and give you scenarios. and you group performs them in front of everyone first then a solo interview asking situational questions and what you would do

Interview Question – When have you worked as a leader of a group?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Your a bagger here is 6.35

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details – You apply online. A week or so later, I got a call for a group interview. In the interview, they go around in a circle and ask questions about yourself. You have to sell a "product" that they give you. A couple days later, I get a call for a second one-on-one interview with a service manager (your soon-to-be boss). I was asked normal interview questions from a checklist. It was surprisingly easy, just be confident and eager to work. They want hard workers. I was offered a spot at the end of the second interview.

Interview Question – How would you deal with an angry customer after a product becomes damaged?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Interviewed at H E B

Interview Details – Tell me about yourself and why HEB

Interview Question – None, pretty easy interview   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Interview Details – Went in for a 1 on 1 interview. No phone interview, no "group" intervew like people say.
Interview was at 1pm. Waited in office until 1:25 or so...
Finally met lady, asked some general questions:
Tell me about yourself, stengths, weaknesses etc.
Also a few unexpected questions such as:
Tell me about a time you had an issue at a Retail Store.
Then how would YOU improve the situation if you were the worker at that store.

Lady asked me if i was nervous, i wasn't...until she asked that.
She liked me a lot, i could tell, we talked and smiled etc. It was flowing pretty well acutally, didn't even seem like an interview, really informal.

Asked me how much time i could commit, then came the bad part:
she asked me my major (im a college student), as soon as i said "Mechanical Engineer" everything changed, she became uninterested as she ASSUMED i would not have time to commit at HEB and would leave in like 2-3 weeks bc of school.

Apparently i wasn't qualified to bag....
She told me they were intervewing 21 people and only hiring 1....1!
If she told me that before going to the interview i wouldn't even bother.

Overall though, this was just one bad interview. In general HEB is a decent place with nice people, this was just an isolated case. Dealing with hard people is part of life and I feel i still learned form this interview, though i clearly didn't get the job.

Interview Question – Lets say you are at the cashier at an express lane (for 10 items), and a person of 20+ items comes up and have already unloaded their cart. There is also a person behind them with 5 items, and they look really mad that someone infront of them has 20+ items in an express lane.
What would you do?
  View Answers (2)

Very Difficult Interview

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at H E B in January 2010.

Interview Details – This was the most grueling interview process I have ever undergone. Multiple interviews and screenings, personality tests disguised as games, group and 1 on 1. The work culture demands total commitment to the job--if your availability isn't midnight to midnight, if you go to school, have a family, or have a life be prepared to pay the consequences: minimal hours to the tune of as low as 4 per week.

Interview Question – Is there ever a reason to miss work?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate nothing. Looking back taking the job was a bad decision.

Interviews for Top Jobs at H E B

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at H E B Customer Service Representative interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by H E B employees and interview candidates.