H E B Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

2.5

Any Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B.

It's a group interview with no more than 15 people...Smile, be dressed nicely..capture their attention, laugh at their jokes.They'll make you step outside of you comfort zone, don't be shy. Speak clearly and confidently. Tell them that you would work in any department.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Went in for a 1 on 1 interview. No phone interview, no "group" intervew like people say.
    Interview was at 1pm. Waited in office until 1:25 or so...
    Finally met lady, asked some general questions:
    Tell me about yourself, stengths, weaknesses etc.
    Also a few unexpected questions such as:
    Tell me about a time you had an issue at a Retail Store.
    Then how would YOU improve the situation if you were the worker at that store.

Lady asked me if i was nervous, i wasn't...until she asked that.
    She liked me a lot, i could tell, we talked and smiled etc. It was flowing pretty well acutally, didn't even seem like an interview, really informal.

Asked me how much time i could commit, then came the bad part:
    she asked me my major (im a college student), as soon as i said "Mechanical Engineer" everything changed, she became uninterested as she ASSUMED i would not have time to commit at HEB and would leave in like 2-3 weeks bc of school.

Apparently i wasn't qualified to bag....
    She told me they were intervewing 21 people and only hiring 1....1!
    If she told me that before going to the interview i wouldn't even bother.

Overall though, this was just one bad interview. In general HEB is a decent place with nice people, this was just an isolated case. Dealing with hard people is part of life and I feel i still learned form this interview, though i clearly didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Lets say you are at the cashier at an express lane (for 10 items), and a person of 20+ items comes up and have already unloaded their cart. There is also a person behind them with 5 items, and they look really mad that someone infront of them has 20+ items in an express lane.
      What would you do?
        View Answers (2)

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at H E B.

I applied online and met with the manager within the next week. He asked me about my cashier expiereienc? How much money I was responsible for? My involvment in the community. Why do you want to work at HEB? Why do you think you will be good at the job?

Interview Questions
    • What would your last employer say that is negative in front of you   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at H E B.

It depends on the position, but very straight forward and usually starts with a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    Pretty straight forward and no surprises.

Cashier Interview

I applied online - interviewed at H E B.

applied online they called me 3 days later. The manager told me to come for a group interview the next day. The interview first began with tell me something about you then they made you draw a picture to see how would you see yourself working. After they gave you items you sell in group of around five people. Got a call right after the interview setting up another interview with a differnt manager and got the job.

Cashier Interview

Two interviews, one with CCOM and one with store director

School of Retail Leadership Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at H E B.

I gave my resume to one of the recruiter at my university's career fair. They called me a couple weeks later to set up a phone interview. The interviewer called me and immediately started asking questions (he was actually very rude). The interview only lasted about 10 minutes.

Central Checkout Supervisor Interview

My interview for this job was very informal. Basically, my store's CCOM had approached me maybe one month before and asked me when I would be ready to move up in the company. I'll admit that I was a bit nervous about it at first (because I'm 19 years old) but I told him that I was interested, nevertheless.

The interview was very informal. Basically, he asked a few questions, mostly pertaining to why I wanted to be a CCS. I replied with something along the lines of "I adore HEB, as a company. I want to do whatever I can, to ensure that HEB remains the best in the business when it comes to customer service." There were a few more basic questions and then he stuck his hand out and said, "I'm going to give you the job."

Interview Questions
    • The only difficult question that was asked of me, was a question that basically pitted me against a long time friend of mine, who had also been approached for this position. This was tricky to navigate, however, our CCOM did decide to promote both of us to the Central Checkout Supervisor.   Answer Question

Bagger Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B.

I got a call after putting in an application.

It was a group interview. They hired everyone, but sometimes they wont.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer if they came to you with problem?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Parking Lot Attendant Interview

1 group interview and 1 face-to-face 1 on 1 interview.

No negotiation, you took what they offered.

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!