H E B Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 27, 2014
152 interviews

2.5

Customer Service Representative Interview

5 minutes of situational question. instances where you didnt get along with someone and how to managed anyway. they just want to get to know you and see if you will be a slow worker

School of Retail Leadership Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B in April 2014.

This interview has three parts, the phone interview, group interview with other candidates, and if you pass the group interview you get a one on one with the vice president and hr rep. I really wanted to give people a heads up before they decide to attend. Hope it helps :)

I received a phone interview about two months after I applied. The person giving the interview was extremely rude and not friendly. It seemed like he was just going through the motions with absolutely no personality.

The group interview was very, very strange. All of the other candidates, in total 9, were split in two groups. You have to stand in front of everyone and introduce yourself and answer a few questions of a sheet. Next it gets really weird. You are forced to do a group assignment with other competing candidates. Not sure what they are looking for with this project. Instead of team work, it’s more like who can talk over everyone and who can talk the most. Unfortunately, if you have a crazy, uneducated person out talking everyone in your group, chances are your team will not do well. This project isn't good for evaluating anything but yet it's the main focus of the group interview. This should be scratched out completely. When you have a team that's all about themselves, it will only cause dysfunction. The process was UNCOMFORTABLE and STRANGE to say the LEAST.

After the silly project, each candidate walks the store and has an individual interview which at this point they already have their mind made up on who they are choosing. Oh and did I mention that half of the candidates are current HEB employees, some that know the recruiters so well that they are hugging and catching up. Oh yea that's really FAIR. It also appears that external candidates are just seat fillers for their silly project.

Not to mention, the interview is located in the worst possible area Bunkerhill and I-10 and scheduled when traffic is absolutely horrendous! So be prepared to sit in traffic for an hour. Also be prepared to stay around for over (3) HOURS. Your time is worthless to them. This interview is a complete JOKE and a waste of time if you don’t work for the company or know the recruiters and managers!!

School of Retail Leadership Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at H E B.

I gave my resume to one of the recruiter at my university's career fair. They called me a couple weeks later to set up a phone interview. The interviewer called me and immediately started asking questions (he was actually very rude). The interview only lasted about 10 minutes.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Went in for a 1 on 1 interview. No phone interview, no "group" intervew like people say.
    Interview was at 1pm. Waited in office until 1:25 or so...
    Finally met lady, asked some general questions:
    Tell me about yourself, stengths, weaknesses etc.
    Also a few unexpected questions such as:
    Tell me about a time you had an issue at a Retail Store.
    Then how would YOU improve the situation if you were the worker at that store.

Lady asked me if i was nervous, i wasn't...until she asked that.
    She liked me a lot, i could tell, we talked and smiled etc. It was flowing pretty well acutally, didn't even seem like an interview, really informal.

Asked me how much time i could commit, then came the bad part:
    she asked me my major (im a college student), as soon as i said "Mechanical Engineer" everything changed, she became uninterested as she ASSUMED i would not have time to commit at HEB and would leave in like 2-3 weeks bc of school.

Apparently i wasn't qualified to bag....
    She told me they were intervewing 21 people and only hiring 1....1!
    If she told me that before going to the interview i wouldn't even bother.

Overall though, this was just one bad interview. In general HEB is a decent place with nice people, this was just an isolated case. Dealing with hard people is part of life and I feel i still learned form this interview, though i clearly didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Lets say you are at the cashier at an express lane (for 10 items), and a person of 20+ items comes up and have already unloaded their cart. There is also a person behind them with 5 items, and they look really mad that someone infront of them has 20+ items in an express lane.
      What would you do?
        View Answers (2)

Any Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at H E B.

It's a group interview with no more than 15 people...Smile, be dressed nicely..capture their attention, laugh at their jokes.They'll make you step outside of you comfort zone, don't be shy. Speak clearly and confidently. Tell them that you would work in any department.

Pharmacy Technician Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at H E B.

After I turned in my application, I got a call about a week or two later for an interview. It was a one on one interview that lasted about 20-25 minutes. I got a call back about two weeks after that to offer me the position.

Staff Accountant Interview

As long as you did well in college you will have nothing to fear. As my background is in accounting, the thing that mattered the most is my 4.0. Extra curricular activities are good, but they are just that, extra curricular.
    As any accountant should know, social graces and the ability to explain how things work are divine attributes to acquire and display during the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • How many ping pongs balls would it take to fill a 747?

The purpose of this question was not to "know" the answer, but show how you would figure it out.
        Answer Question

HEB Cashier Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at H E B.

My interview was different than any other ones. It was more of a group interview. I was in a small room with about 13 people. Asking questions like why you want them to hire you, job experience, a little about yourself, and you had to answer in front of everybody else.

Interview Questions
    • I received a test to convince to buy a product from HEB to a customer.   Answer Question

Deli Associate Interview

fast

Interview Questions
    we would like to hire you .....we feel you would be an assest

Bagger Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B.

I got a call after putting in an application.

It was a group interview. They hired everyone, but sometimes they wont.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer if they came to you with problem?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Worked for H E B? Contribute to the Community!