H E B Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

2.5

School of Retail Leadership Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at H E B in April 2014.

Interview was completed at a hiring event at University of Houston. The interviewer had no personality and asked the most generic questions off of a list. While listening to my answers, she scribbled (yes, SCRIBBLED) on random places on her question book. I understand that they were interviewing several people that day, but I put forth my best effort to be there and I feel I received sub-par experience from their part.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were the exact same questions you would fill out on an online application. Little to no personal interaction with the interviewee.   Answer Question

The interview was a mandatory assignment for my class and I had no real interest in the position. Other interviewees, who were actually interested, were ask the same exact questions.

School of Retail Leadership Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B in April 2014.

This interview has three parts, the phone interview, group interview with other candidates, and if you pass the group interview you get a one on one with the vice president and hr rep. I really wanted to give people a heads up before they decide to attend. Hope it helps :)

I received a phone interview about two months after I applied. The person giving the interview was extremely rude and not friendly. It seemed like he was just going through the motions with absolutely no personality.

The group interview was very, very strange. All of the other candidates, in total 9, were split in two groups. You have to stand in front of everyone and introduce yourself and answer a few questions of a sheet. Next it gets really weird. You are forced to do a group assignment with other competing candidates. Not sure what they are looking for with this project. Instead of team work, it’s more like who can talk over everyone and who can talk the most. Unfortunately, if you have a crazy, uneducated person out talking everyone in your group, chances are your team will not do well. This project isn't good for evaluating anything but yet it's the main focus of the group interview. This should be scratched out completely. When you have a team that's all about themselves, it will only cause dysfunction. The process was UNCOMFORTABLE and STRANGE to say the LEAST.

After the silly project, each candidate walks the store and has an individual interview which at this point they already have their mind made up on who they are choosing. Oh and did I mention that half of the candidates are current HEB employees, some that know the recruiters so well that they are hugging and catching up. Oh yea that's really FAIR. It also appears that external candidates are just seat fillers for their silly project.

Not to mention, the interview is located in the worst possible area Bunkerhill and I-10 and scheduled when traffic is absolutely horrendous! So be prepared to sit in traffic for an hour. Also be prepared to stay around for over (3) HOURS. Your time is worthless to them. This interview is a complete JOKE and a waste of time if you don’t work for the company or know the recruiters and managers!!

Central Checkout Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kingsville, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingsville, TX

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at H E B in November 2011.

Two step interview. There is a group interview and interview with a region director for that region.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you have to deal with an upset customer and what did you do to take care of the customer?   Answer Question

Production Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online - interviewed at H E B in May 2011.

Apply- phone interview- one on one interview with HR and Facility leader- Director level with senior HR leader- offer- training program. overall the process should be about two months to complete.

Interview Questions
    The negotiation was pretty easy they presented an offer which was within my range and accepted.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B.

Got called back a day later. Woman was rude and acted like no one was good enough for the position. Unusual group interview. Seemed very unorganized.

HEB Cashier Interview

I applied online - interviewed at H E B.

apply online, within 2 weeks I got a call to set up a interview. meet with a manager and if they choose to hire you they will start the paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult situation you've had with a customer and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at H E B in February 2014.

Be real, be honest. Dress for the part, and speak with confidence. HEB doesn't judge we accept everyone with open arms so this is the place to be.

Interview Questions
    • We have 3 other people interviewing for the same position what makes you stand out from them?   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McAllen, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McAllen, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H E B in March 2013.

Three interview process. First interview is with the CCOM ( the person that makes your schedule and boss) they ask you what you know about the company and show you a book of things around the store and people working and ask what you see in those pictures. Second interview is with the Unit Director, he just asks things about you to get to know you better and judges your character and communication skills. Third interview is with the Store Manager, if you made it this far you've basically got the job, unless you make some kind of humongous error, he basically welcomes you to the store and shows you around.

Interview Questions
    • Look at this book. Please tell me what you see in detail.   View Answer
    You can usually only negotiate your hours. If you have school be sure to mention that and they will work with you without a problem.

Bookkeeper Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Marcos, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H E B in February 2013.

Panel interview consisted of Current Bookkeeping Lead, Assistant Store Director, and current Central Checkout Manager. I was one of 17 people interviewing for the position. We all waited in the break room until we were called one at a time. I was asked several questions, and was sent on my way.

Order Selector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at H E B in June 2012.

Basic interview questions, the interviewer took me on a tour of the facility showed me the actual work that the job required, and got to talk with some current employees. Received a job offer on the spot with a decent starting pay and started 2 weeks later. Was a very quick interview process, took about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    Took the offer, as it was.