H E B Interview Questions

Updated Apr 27, 2015

2.5

Finance Analyst - Operations - HEB Headquarters Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at H E B (San Antonio, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

Contacted by HR after filling out a lengthy job application on their website. The application also asked to fill out an assessment, which took about 20-30 minutes. Contacted about 20-30 days after filling out the job application. I was initially contacted by someone in HR who asked general questions. He then emailed 7 days later to request a 'conference call via skype' interview with hiring manager.
    Interview with hiring manager and potential co-worker was mostly to get to know each other and figure out if there was a culture fit. They also asked about previous work experience and examples.

After my interview with them, NO FURTHER replies or feedback after multiple attempts, from either the hiring manager or the HR contact. Very typical of unprofessional HR organizations

Interview Questions

• Interview was done via Skype, so I had to setup an account to be able to have the interview.   Answer Question

Order Selector Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at H E B.

Interview

I went to the warehouse one day for a job fair type deal. What they did was set up a few tables like speed interview. I interviewed with a supervisor then a few of the trainers. Before i knew it the whole thing was over.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing difficult. The questions were all basic.   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Interview

As long as you did well in college you will have nothing to fear. As my background is in accounting, the thing that mattered the most is my 4.0. Extra curricular activities are good, but they are just that, extra curricular.
    As any accountant should know, social graces and the ability to explain how things work are divine attributes to acquire and display during the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• How many ping pongs balls would it take to fill a 747?

The purpose of this question was not to "know" the answer, but show how you would figure it out.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX).

Interview

Simple. Asked a page full of questions. they ask how many times you called in late. they want to know if your in school. They want open availability. Very basic interview. I got asked for a second interview at the end of my first interview

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B.

Interview

Got called back a day later. Woman was rude and acted like no one was good enough for the position. Unusual group interview. Seemed very unorganized.

HEB Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at H E B.

Interview

apply online, within 2 weeks I got a call to set up a interview. meet with a manager and if they choose to hire you they will start the paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation you've had with a customer and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

School of Retail Leadership Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B (Houston, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

This interview has three parts, the phone interview, group interview with other candidates, and if you pass the group interview you get a one on one with the vice president and hr rep. I really wanted to give people a heads up before they decide to attend. Hope it helps :)

I received a phone interview about two months after I applied. The person giving the interview was extremely rude and not friendly. It seemed like he was just going through the motions with absolutely no personality.

The group interview was very, very strange. All of the other candidates, in total 9, were split in two groups. You have to stand in front of everyone and introduce yourself and answer a few questions of a sheet. Next it gets really weird. You are forced to do a group assignment with other competing candidates. Not sure what they are looking for with this project. Instead of team work, it’s more like who can talk over everyone and who can talk the most. Unfortunately, if you have a crazy, uneducated person out talking everyone in your group, chances are your team will not do well. This project isn't good for evaluating anything but yet it's the main focus of the group interview. This should be scratched out completely. When you have a team that's all about themselves, it will only cause dysfunction. The process was UNCOMFORTABLE and STRANGE to say the LEAST.

After the silly project, each candidate walks the store and has an individual interview which at this point they already have their mind made up on who they are choosing. Oh and did I mention that half of the candidates are current HEB employees, some that know the recruiters so well that they are hugging and catching up. Oh yea that's really FAIR. It also appears that external candidates are just seat fillers for their silly project.

Not to mention, the interview is located in the worst possible area Bunkerhill and I-10 and scheduled when traffic is absolutely horrendous! So be prepared to sit in traffic for an hour. Also be prepared to stay around for over (3) HOURS. Your time is worthless to them. This interview is a complete JOKE and a waste of time if you don’t work for the company or know the recruiters and managers!!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at H E B in April 2014.

Interview

Interview was completed at a hiring event at University of Houston. The interviewer had no personality and asked the most generic questions off of a list. While listening to my answers, she scribbled (yes, SCRIBBLED) on random places on her question book. I understand that they were interviewing several people that day, but I put forth my best effort to be there and I feel I received sub-par experience from their part.

Interview Questions

• The questions were the exact same questions you would fill out on an online application. Little to no personal interaction with the interviewee.   Answer Question

The interview was a mandatory assignment for my class and I had no real interest in the position. Other interviewees, who were actually interested, were ask the same exact questions.

HEB Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at H E B.

Interview

My interview was different than any other ones. It was more of a group interview. I was in a small room with about 13 people. Asking questions like why you want them to hire you, job experience, a little about yourself, and you had to answer in front of everybody else.

Interview Questions

• I received a test to convince to buy a product from HEB to a customer.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at H E B in February 2014.

Interview

The beginning of the process was smooth asking questions in general about yourself and retail knowledge. The final interview with VP was not built on the leadership position. Much more difficult having to answer questions that make no sence