H E B Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.5

Checker Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H E B in October 2013.

I applied and they called me the same week asking if I was still interested in the job. I said yes and they asked what time I would be available. I had a one on one interview in the manager's office. It felt pretty casual.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you went out of your way to help someone.   Answer Question
    They don't really mind you asking questions about hours and they act like nine dollars an hour isn't nearly enough and expect you to want more (which I did not since TX min wage is 7.25). They seem to want to cater to your life.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Killeen, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Killeen, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H E B in September 2013.

I've applied to HEB lasted week and received a phone interview, for the phone interview they ask you what do think is important in providing good customer service, if they like what you said they'll ask you to come in the next day for a group interview. It was about 7 of us, that sat in a circle, some people that work for HEB and a supervisor. First thing they told us that they just want you to be yourself so if you're shy, you gotta shake that off. You had to tell alittle about yourself. Then they placed an item underneath your chair and you had to think of a sale strategy to sell to the customer, they just want to see how you interact with people. After that they had you pick a card about a customer scenerio on how would you handle that situation..pretty simple. If you made it through the group interview you'll here something from them in 3 days to have a 1-on-1 interview with one of the managers, then another interview with the big boss. Unfortunately I didn't make it to the second round because I was too nervous and I didn't show them my true self.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B.

I applied online for a part time position as a cashier. No more than 5 days later, I got a call inviting me to a group interview which would take place the very next day. There were about 15 total applicants, and all of us were put in a room, and seated at tables that circled the room. There were two managers that conducted the interview. They basically introduced themselves, did a little bit of talking for a while about the company and things like that.

The first thing we were asked to do was to make a name tag type thing using a sheet of paper and a marker, which we were to sit in front of us on the table. They also asked us to stand up, say our name, and to tell everyone our favorite food. We then were given 5 minutes or so to draw ourselves performing the work (position) we applied for (cashier,bagger,stocker, ect.), and where we saw ourselves in 5 years.

After this, we were asked to show everyone our drawing, and to explain it. They had an assortment of many different types of fruits and vegetables sitting on a table in the center of the room. The majority of them being very unfamiliar (purposely) We were asked to pick one, and to create a name for it, tell where it came from, and what it's used for. They stressed the point that we did not need to actually know what the fruits were, but to be creative. We then were asked to present our fruit/veggie to everyone in the room.

The last thing they asked everyone, was what job we would not be willing to do at HEB. This is probably a big key to making it to the 2nd interview. You do not want to tell them an actual job you wouldn't want to do. Just try and say you would be willing to do anything, as long as you were trained for it, and that you feel there are opportunities for advancement, and that you feel your role, no matter what, can be important, and can contribute to the overall success of the company.

I made it through to a second interview, which was a 1 on 1 with one of the managers who conducted the initial group interview. I was asked about my availability, and a little bit about my work history, and also around 10 interview questions. A couple of them were a little tricky. One of the most important is 'why do you want to work for HEB?'

I was told they had a position for me, but that I would start out bagging, instead of cashiering, to see if I really was serious about the job.

Interview Questions
    • What has been one of the greatest challenges you've overcome on a job?
      What would you do if a customer became angry about their groceries previously being bagged the wrong way, and suggested they bag their own groceries? What would you do if you were cashiering in a 10 items or less line, and someone brought more than 10 items, and you did not realize it till after the fact?
        View Answer
    Pretty much no negotiation, take it or leave it.

Bagger Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at H E B in August 2013.

Previously, I had filled out applications and received an e-mail that informed me that they would not be following through the interview process with me. Flash forward to about two weeks ago, I applied online once again, and received a call last week to come in for an interview.

When I came in for the interview, I was told to wait in the break room and I was handed a form to look over and sign. The form basically consisted of job descriptions and requirments, such as "Are/Can you willing to lift 20-50 lbs.?", stuff about paid training, etc. Once I had signed and dated the paper, I was pulled into a small office and given a full interview.

The interview was pretty standard. She (the central checkout manager, or at least one of them) started off by asking me about myself, why I wanted to work for H-E-B, what I knew about the company, availability, etc. I have to admit, I did feel a little intimidated, due to the fact that the interview was more in private than the other interviews that I had gone to. I think I could have worded things better, but alas, nerves got the best of me.

Initially, I had applied for a checkout positions, however the manager felt that I was best suited for a bagging position, with the option of moving up to being a checker within a few months.

I was offered the bagging job, and before I could give a response, she gave me a mini-lecture where she basically talked about how she expects a lot, and that if I have any problems with the work that comes with being a bagger, that I speak up now. I agreed that I would take the job, no matter how difficult it could be.

All-in-all, it was a pretty nice interview. It probably took about 30 or so minutes to complete.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you know about H-E-B as a company?"

"Tell me about a time you went out of your way to help others"

"How do you think your work impacts or influences others?"
        Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX

I applied online – interviewed at H E B.

Two interviews, if you pass the first one they tell you about the second interview and offer for you to have it that day or schedule for a different day. I did both in one day as the interviews were pretty short.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you thought a co-worker was stealing?   Answer Question
    None.

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harlingen, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harlingen, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at H E B.

Two step interview process.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Tell me about yourself and why HEB

Parking Lot Attendant Interview

1 group interview and 1 face-to-face 1 on 1 interview.

No negotiation, you took what they offered.

Perishable Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H E B in June 2013.

I applied online at the HEB website. One week later I got a call telling me to come in for a group interview in 4 days. There were 16 people there total (2 made the cut). They basically made us go around and introduce ourselves and state our work experience / expectations. After that we got paired into groups of 4 and were required to "sell" a combo deal to the 3 interviewers. My group went first so we got to see how everyone else did, we did pretty bad overall as a group on this project. Next they made each of us pick a random item around the room, then we had to proceed to "sell" that item to the rest of the group. I chose a disposable plate and utensil set. I think I did a good job on this segment. After that they ended the interview and sent us on our way. I stayed behind to thank them for the opportunity and inform them I look forward to hearing back. I got a call about an hour later asking me to come in for a solo interview. When I got there I was in an office with the two produce managers. They asked me basic questions about my work experience, expectations, and how I would handle certain experiences. I did exceptionally well with this interview I believe. About one day later I got a call telling me I got the job and asking if I could come in the next Tuesday to fill out some basic paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle one of us (the managers) coming up and telling you to do something that you completely disagree with and think there is a better way to handle the situation?   View Answer

Bagger Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B.

I got a call after putting in an application.

It was a group interview. They hired everyone, but sometimes they wont.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer if they came to you with problem?   Answer Question
    No negotiation