H E B

2.2

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H E B in April 2014.

This interview has three parts, the phone interview, group interview with other candidates, and if you pass the group interview you get a one on one with the vice president and hr rep. I really wanted to give people a heads up before they decide to attend. Hope it helps :)

I received a phone interview about two months after I applied. The person giving the interview was extremely rude and not friendly. It seemed like he was just going through the motions with absolutely no personality.

The group interview was very, very strange. All of the other candidates, in total 9, were split in two groups. You have to stand in front of everyone and introduce yourself and answer a few questions of a sheet. Next it gets really weird. You are forced to do a group assignment with other competing candidates. Not sure what they are looking for with this project. Instead of team work, it’s more like who can talk over everyone and who can talk the most. Unfortunately, if you have a crazy, uneducated person out talking everyone in your group, chances are your team will not do well. This project isn't good for evaluating anything but yet it's the main focus of the group interview. This should be scratched out completely. When you have a team that's all about themselves, it will only cause dysfunction. The process was UNCOMFORTABLE and STRANGE to say the LEAST.

After the silly project, each candidate walks the store and has an individual interview which at this point they already have their mind made up on who they are choosing. Oh and did I mention that half of the candidates are current HEB employees, some that know the recruiters so well that they are hugging and catching up. Oh yea that's really FAIR. It also appears that external candidates are just seat fillers for their silly project.

Not to mention, the interview is located in the worst possible area Bunkerhill and I-10 and scheduled when traffic is absolutely horrendous! So be prepared to sit in traffic for an hour. Also be prepared to stay around for over (3) HOURS. Your time is worthless to them. This interview is a complete JOKE and a waste of time if you don’t work for the company or know the recruiters and managers!!

Other Interview Reviews for H E B

School of Retail Leadership Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at H E B in April 2014.

Interview was completed at a hiring event at University of Houston. The interviewer had no personality and asked the most generic questions off of a list. While listening to my answers, she scribbled (yes, SCRIBBLED) on random places on her question book. I understand that they were interviewing several people that day, but I put forth my best effort to be there and I feel I received sub-par experience from their part.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were the exact same questions you would fill out on an online application. Little to no personal interaction with the interviewee.   Answer Question

The interview was a mandatory assignment for my class and I had no real interest in the position. Other interviewees, who were actually interested, were ask the same exact questions.

School of Retail Leadership Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at H E B.

I gave my resume to one of the recruiter at my university's career fair. They called me a couple weeks later to set up a phone interview. The interviewer called me and immediately started asking questions (he was actually very rude). The interview only lasted about 10 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at H E B in March 2011.

Went through 2 phone interviews, 2 assessments, 2 one on one interviews over a two month period. The people interviewing were great, very friendly and made me feel comfortable. The interview process is a little convoluted, you're not 100% sure what comes next or how long it will take. That said, they answered all of my questions honestly and were very candid about the company and the job expectations. Going to the main office for interviews is confusing, the doors are locked and if there is no securitiy there at the time, you have to wait outside. I would advise people to ask a lot of questions and be patient. It can be a lengthy process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to terminate someone. What was the situation and what was the final outcome.   Answer Question
    Negotiations are possible, always negotiate. For salary, for vacation time, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at H E B in October 2010.

The initial selectino proccess consisted of a series of open ended questions such as, how would you describe your leadership phylosophy and name one instance that ilustrates you ability to overcome difficult situations. You are also confronted with a series of situations were in you are asked as a manager how would you solve them.

School of Retail Leadership Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at H E B.

Mainly asked experience based questions: describe an experience when you displayed leadership and what was the outcome. What two words would you use to describe yourself. Questions were not to difficult, but are all related to experiences you may have had. It is best to already have an answer to experience based questions.

Interview Questions
    • There was not a difficult question. Mostly experience based questions. Provide a lot of details and specific actions that you did.   Answer Question