H&M Department Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.7

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

It is at least a five step process for management hires. Also you may or may not interview with the store you will end up working at. Additionally there is a culture that looks down on and treats outside hires less than employees who are promoted within. Interviews with members of the district team are really great and you also have to critique them on how they conduct the interview and give them feedback. In the interview process for management they will really sell you on the company, promotions and benefits.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for H&M

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Columbus, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

I attended a networking event where applicants that H&M were interested in for multiple positions came to be interviewed. Typically if you are a potential candidate they are interested in you would have a phone interview, however, this event eliminated the phone portion and you had a one-on-one. I met with the store manager, who asked the typical questions that would be asked during the phone interview. It was pretty standard. Job history, details about current job, why H&M, explain a time where I faced a difficult situation-how did I handle it-what was the result, etc... I was given a basic understanding of typical requirements for the position and asked about my expectations. The SM was very nice, friendly, and expressed a few expectations/standards of the employees. I was then asked to stay for a 2nd interview. This interview was with the District HR Manager. He was also very friendly and gave an overview of his duration with the company. He talked about the role and asked questions pertaining to my leadership, business, mentoring, and merchandising qualities/skills. Most of the questions were standard but there were a few that really dug deep into how you are a leader, how you overcome obstacles, how you motivate your team, and what you can bring to the table. Afterwards I filled out a background check...and was told that I would hear back something in the next 2 weeks. I was advised the next steps will be one of three.. 1. Another interview with the District Manager and/or Store Manager of the store I would potentially go to, 2. Offer position or 3. Not a fit at this time. Initially I applied for a Visual Merchandiser position, but due to my qualifications the SM actually told me I was overqualified for that position and asked me if I would consider the Department Manager position instead. I found out about the job opening through glassdoor...applied and received and e-mail inviting me to the networking event about 2 days later. The event was about 10 days from the initial application submission. I am waiting to find out what is my next option...

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had a difficult situation, how did you handle it, what was the outcome, what did you learn from it?   1 Answer
    • How will your skills and experience make a difference at H&M?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I researched the avg. pay for salary/hourly rates, and gave my starting base offer from the avg. amount made.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online via the H&M website May 23rd, I was called for an phone interview June 9th, and then invited to a job fair at the Downtown LA location. The job fair was open and I was invited to come anytime between 10am and 5pm. I met with the district recruiter and another store manager, male and female. It was a little intimidating but I came prepared so I wasn't too worried. They asked me about my background, why H&M, which location I preferred, and the rest were lot of situational/scenario questions. The interview lasted about an hour and went really well. As long as they can see you have a passion for the fashion business, your confident, and have a great personality, they'll see the potential in you. After that. about a week later I was called for a 2nd in-person interview with the Store Manager and Department Supervisor of the same location. This interview was about an hour also. They basically asked me more scenario questions and went more into detail about what I did within my past positions. This was more of a get-to-know you platform and to see if I fit that location. After this interview it took over two weeks for another follow-up. I was called into another location on Jul, 10th, which was the initial job offer. The process was slightly long but definitely worth it!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was pretty happy with the offer so I didn't negotiate. I'm sure you can though! It definitely doesn't hurt to ask.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at H&M (San Jose, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

3 step process. 1-phone interview. 2-in person interview, with a store walk through. 3-second in person interview/job offer. They weren't too focused on my resume but rather how I would handle situations in the store. It does help to dress fashionable and show how you are interested in the company and its' products

Interview Questions

• What can you contribute to the team?   1 Answer

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&M in June 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application on H&M.com and recieved an email the next day to set up a time and day I would be available for a phone screen. A few days later I had the phone screen with a recruiting personal, She started the phone screen with the background of H&M, the endless possibilities of growth and development opportunities, once that was done we got into questions, why H&M? We spoke about the background experience I have. What could or how could I contribute to H&M. At the end of the interview she then asked me if I would be interested in coming in for a 4 hour management activity interview. I of course said YES! And was told I would get the invitation shortly via Email. A few days later, I recieved a phone call from the recruiting manager telling me that unfortunately they had to cancel the group interview but was I willing to come in for a one on one. Day of the interview (Friday), I interviewed with someone from the recruiting team which was just about an hour long. Which she started with her career with H&M and the background. This interview was just about the same as the phone screen but got a little more in depth about sales, team management, customer service, and implementing ideas. After the interview I was told I would hear something in about 2 weeks due to the number of applications they were reviewing. That Monday I recieved an email from a different recruiting personal asking when I would be available for a follow up interview and conversation with opportunities within H&M to just email him back when I was available. We set up the time and date all via email. Wednesday I had my follow up interview and pretty much asked me the same questions explained to me why the interview process is so long compared to other companies and alot of it has to do with seeing if you can be yourself with different people and if you are consistent with your answers. After that I was offered the job and was told I'd be traveling for 8 weeks for training.

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

the hiring process was extremely long i had to basically call and harass for a month to get specific follow up. there is a 6 hour long assessment interview after you have had a phone interview and another in person interview. the assessment is the hardest part. and you have another interview after that

Interview Questions

Negotiation

i applied for a higher position i was given a lower one and still met with the pay rate i asked for

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at H&M (San Diego, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

The process took 4 weeks. I applied online was contacted by a Store Manager two days later for management job fair. Interviewed by two different store managers they were both extremely pleasant and it was a breeze I then interviewed with the District Facilities Manager and another Store Manager in another joint interview I knew I had it after that. They asked question as to what volume I was use to working in, how would I control payroll, and what opportunities did I think their stores had. 3 weeks then went by and I received a phone call from one of the SM's saying they wanted me to come in for another interview. If you get that call it's a job offer as they like to do it in person.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I came in pretty high for my experience so they countered at what I really wanted.

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

applied online, 2 phone interviews, in person interview with DM

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at H&M in August 2013.

Interview

I applied online the last week of July for Store Manager Position, and was called 3 weeks later for another Management Opportunity. It was for an upcoming brand new H&M store Opening in the Fall. We went through a phone interview with the Store Manager for that location. Originally scheduled for 20 minutes turned into an 1 Phone Interview. It went Great! I was put on a brief hold and was then asked to come in for an in person interview with herself and another SM. The in person interview went Amazing, one of the best interviews I've ever gone on. The SM for the new store was asking me questions while the other listened and took notes, they shared information about themselves and their length with the company and growth. The questions were how would you motivate your team, leadership style, numbers from your current employer, and payroll questions. It went for 2 hours, very calm, relaxing engaging, also want to know what do you like to do outside of work for fun at the end I was asked to fill out a Background Check Form. They noted they would call me by Friday, if they were interested as they had other candidates to interview as well. Friday came, and I received a call! The SM who will be in the new location asked me to go in for One Last Interview with herself and the District LP Manager the following week. I went and sat with her and the District LP Manager, and another great interview! Very formal relaxed, shared his knowledge about the company and where they want to be in the upcoming years. He asked me a serious how do I coach my staff, what motivates me to achieve success, and instead of asking the infamous "Why H&M" he asked "What would be my expectations from H&M if I decided my career path with them and my Short and Long Term goals in my career if it was with H&M. At the end of the last question he as well as the SM surprised me with How much your looking for in salary, because they checked my references and wanted to go forward and make you an offer today! :) I was shocked, surprised and excited.

Interview Questions

• No Difficult Questions. If you are a passionate leader, and have goals for yourself and team all questions would be natural. The only unexpected surprise is when they made me my offer on the spot!   Answer Question

Negotiation

They asked what is my current salary, if I had to have a range what number would it be hourly wise and then salary wise. They stepped out for about 3 minutes and gave me more than what I asked for! The honesty was the best part as H&M believe in their people, they usually don't want to max you out so when you do get promoted you get the best amount your worth. Being that it was more than I asked for, in which I thought I asked for more than fare, proves the honesty and integrity behind them.

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

first phone interview then face to face, then group.