H&M

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at H&M in January 2010.

Interview Details – The entire process took a little over 3 weeks. The process began fine, however, after the first interview, everything seemed disorganized. The second seemed as if I was the only one who had prepared for the interview.

Interview Question – Does your company sell credit cards?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very quick and easy.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at H&M in April 2014.

Interview Details – The process took 4 weeks. I applied online was contacted by a Store Manager two days later for management job fair. Interviewed by two different store managers they were both extremely pleasant and it was a breeze I then interviewed with the District Facilities Manager and another Store Manager in another joint interview I knew I had it after that. They asked question as to what volume I was use to working in, how would I control payroll, and what opportunities did I think their stores had. 3 weeks then went by and I received a phone call from one of the SM's saying they wanted me to come in for another interview. If you get that call it's a job offer as they like to do it in person.

Interview Question – Typical management questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I came in pretty high for my experience so they countered at what I really wanted.

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at H&M in March 2010.

Interview Details – Quick turnaround of process. Phone interview then in person interview within the same week. Started working two weeks after that. The company did a good job of selling the position, culture and what to expect. Some of those things were inaccurate though.

Interview Question – What do you think is unsuccessful in our stores and how would you change it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not think I had room to negotiate, but in hind site I probably did.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Department Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H&M.

Interview Details – applied online, 2 phone interviews, in person interview with DM

Interview Question – low difficulty   Answer Question

Department Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at H&M in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online the last week of July for Store Manager Position, and was called 3 weeks later for another Management Opportunity. It was for an upcoming brand new H&M store Opening in the Fall. We went through a phone interview with the Store Manager for that location. Originally scheduled for 20 minutes turned into an 1 Phone Interview. It went Great! I was put on a brief hold and was then asked to come in for an in person interview with herself and another SM. The in person interview went Amazing, one of the best interviews I've ever gone on. The SM for the new store was asking me questions while the other listened and took notes, they shared information about themselves and their length with the company and growth. The questions were how would you motivate your team, leadership style, numbers from your current employer, and payroll questions. It went for 2 hours, very calm, relaxing engaging, also want to know what do you like to do outside of work for fun at the end I was asked to fill out a Background Check Form. They noted they would call me by Friday, if they were interested as they had other candidates to interview as well. Friday came, and I received a call! The SM who will be in the new location asked me to go in for One Last Interview with herself and the District LP Manager the following week. I went and sat with her and the District LP Manager, and another great interview! Very formal relaxed, shared his knowledge about the company and where they want to be in the upcoming years. He asked me a serious how do I coach my staff, what motivates me to achieve success, and instead of asking the infamous "Why H&M" he asked "What would be my expectations from H&M if I decided my career path with them and my Short and Long Term goals in my career if it was with H&M. At the end of the last question he as well as the SM surprised me with How much your looking for in salary, because they checked my references and wanted to go forward and make you an offer today! :) I was shocked, surprised and excited.

Interview Question – No Difficult Questions. If you are a passionate leader, and have goals for yourself and team all questions would be natural. The only unexpected surprise is when they made me my offer on the spot!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked what is my current salary, if I had to have a range what number would it be hourly wise and then salary wise. They stepped out for about 3 minutes and gave me more than what I asked for! The honesty was the best part as H&M believe in their people, they usually don't want to max you out so when you do get promoted you get the best amount your worth. Being that it was more than I asked for, in which I thought I asked for more than fare, proves the honesty and integrity behind them.

Department Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at H&M.

Interview Details – first phone interview then face to face, then group.

Interview Question – what your current sales plan at your current job?   Answer Question

Gurnee, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&M in December 2009.

Interview Details – Application screening, phone screen (about 5-10 minutes), first interview (half hour) possibly with background check, second interview (half hour). If you're not offered a job at the end of the 2nd interview but they call you to come in again you're getting the position.

Interview Question – Numbers, know your sales numbers, percentages, etc. Take the initiative and don't forget customer service!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is pretty standard for mgmt, H&M pays pretty well for a retail job.

Castleton, IN

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at H&M in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online for two management positions in my area. About two weeks later I was contacted by the district recruiter regarding an open Department Manager position. The recruiter conducted an initial phone screen/interview with me, and then scheduled me for an in-person interview with her and a store manager from within the district. After that interview, I was contacted about a week later by the store manager of the store that I applied to, and he scheduled a second in-person interview, this time with him and a department manager from the store. After this second in-person interview, I was told I would be contacted by the district manager within two weeks for another phone screen. Two weeks later, the district manager called and conducted the phone screen/interview - technically this would be the fourth interview. The district manager said that she would be in contact with the store manager within the next few days, but the following day the store manager called and asked me to come in for an offer. Overall, this was the best interviewing process that I have been exposed to. Everyone was very polite and the interviews were laid-back and conversational, which helped calm nerves. It was a long process, took about 5 weeks from initial phone screen to offer, but I think it was worth it.

Interview Question – What is something that you have observed, good or bad, while shopping at H&M?   View Answer

Department Manager

I applied through other source and interviewed at H&M.

Interview Details – As I was already an employer I only had one interview for the job but I had gone on a progression day and thats when i was asked to apply for the role. It was with the store manager and area hr manager.

Interview Question – What are the key differences between this store and your current store?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Department Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&M in January 2010.

Interview Details – Being interviewed by H&M is like being interviewed for highschool cheerleading. They do not check references, they do not ask job related questions, we spoke mostly of my Philosophy degree, and what my thesis paper was on. I was asked if I was left handed (and while working their realized there was an uncanny amount of left handed "creative" employees). Both being interviewed at H&M, enjoying working at H&M, and advancing at H&M are all dependent on how well you manage to succeed in a popularity contest. The harder you try to be unique (you know, the kind of person who tries so hard to be different they are the biggest followers of all....) the better off you will be....as fabricated pseudo individualism is what this company is based on. Don't get me wrong, I had a great experience working here, but I knew how to play their games, many others had far less enjoyable experiences.

Interview Question – Are you left handed? (this was the first question in my store management interview)   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at H&M

Worked for H&M? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at H&M Department Manager interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by H&M employees and interview candidates.