H&M

Updated Oct 20, 2014

2.6

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Department Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at H&M.

the hiring process was extremely long i had to basically call and harass for a month to get specific follow up. there is a 6 hour long assessment interview after you have had a phone interview and another in person interview. the assessment is the hardest part. and you have another interview after that

Interview Questions
i applied for a higher position i was given a lower one and still met with the pay rate i asked for

Other Interview Reviews for H&M

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at H&M in April 2014.

The process took 4 weeks. I applied online was contacted by a Store Manager two days later for management job fair. Interviewed by two different store managers they were both extremely pleasant and it was a breeze I then interviewed with the District Facilities Manager and another Store Manager in another joint interview I knew I had it after that. They asked question as to what volume I was use to working in, how would I control payroll, and what opportunities did I think their stores had. 3 weeks then went by and I received a phone call from one of the SM's saying they wanted me to come in for another interview. If you get that call it's a job offer as they like to do it in person.

Interview Questions
    I came in pretty high for my experience so they countered at what I really wanted.

Department Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&M.

applied online, 2 phone interviews, in person interview with DM

Department Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at H&M in August 2013.

I applied online the last week of July for Store Manager Position, and was called 3 weeks later for another Management Opportunity. It was for an upcoming brand new H&M store Opening in the Fall. We went through a phone interview with the Store Manager for that location. Originally scheduled for 20 minutes turned into an 1 Phone Interview. It went Great! I was put on a brief hold and was then asked to come in for an in person interview with herself and another SM. The in person interview went Amazing, one of the best interviews I've ever gone on. The SM for the new store was asking me questions while the other listened and took notes, they shared information about themselves and their length with the company and growth. The questions were how would you motivate your team, leadership style, numbers from your current employer, and payroll questions. It went for 2 hours, very calm, relaxing engaging, also want to know what do you like to do outside of work for fun at the end I was asked to fill out a Background Check Form. They noted they would call me by Friday, if they were interested as they had other candidates to interview as well. Friday came, and I received a call! The SM who will be in the new location asked me to go in for One Last Interview with herself and the District LP Manager the following week. I went and sat with her and the District LP Manager, and another great interview! Very formal relaxed, shared his knowledge about the company and where they want to be in the upcoming years. He asked me a serious how do I coach my staff, what motivates me to achieve success, and instead of asking the infamous "Why H&M" he asked "What would be my expectations from H&M if I decided my career path with them and my Short and Long Term goals in my career if it was with H&M. At the end of the last question he as well as the SM surprised me with How much your looking for in salary, because they checked my references and wanted to go forward and make you an offer today! :) I was shocked, surprised and excited.

Interview Questions
    • No Difficult Questions. If you are a passionate leader, and have goals for yourself and team all questions would be natural. The only unexpected surprise is when they made me my offer on the spot!   Answer Question
    They asked what is my current salary, if I had to have a range what number would it be hourly wise and then salary wise. They stepped out for about 3 minutes and gave me more than what I asked for! The honesty was the best part as H&M believe in their people, they usually don't want to max you out so when you do get promoted you get the best amount your worth. Being that it was more than I asked for, in which I thought I asked for more than fare, proves the honesty and integrity behind them.

Department Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at H&M.

first phone interview then face to face, then group.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Castleton, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Castleton, IN

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at H&M in November 2012.

I applied online for two management positions in my area. About two weeks later I was contacted by the district recruiter regarding an open Department Manager position. The recruiter conducted an initial phone screen/interview with me, and then scheduled me for an in-person interview with her and a store manager from within the district. After that interview, I was contacted about a week later by the store manager of the store that I applied to, and he scheduled a second in-person interview, this time with him and a department manager from the store. After this second in-person interview, I was told I would be contacted by the district manager within two weeks for another phone screen. Two weeks later, the district manager called and conducted the phone screen/interview - technically this would be the fourth interview. The district manager said that she would be in contact with the store manager within the next few days, but the following day the store manager called and asked me to come in for an offer. Overall, this was the best interviewing process that I have been exposed to. Everyone was very polite and the interviews were laid-back and conversational, which helped calm nerves. It was a long process, took about 5 weeks from initial phone screen to offer, but I think it was worth it.

Interview Questions
    • What is something that you have observed, good or bad, while shopping at H&M?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at H&M in September 2011.

3 step process

1. Phone screen- General questions regarding availability, work experience and compensation history/expectations. Knowledge of the company and expectations of the position if given the opportunity.

2. In person interview- Standard management interview detailing history of experience and how it will relate to the new position. Exposure to aspects such as HR, sales, commerciality, budgeting and team leadership. Be detailed and ask questions relevant to the position. This interview is for you to make the best case for yourself, also is where you will find out if the position is truly YOU! Be sure to ask about training and travel, because it will most likely be required for hire. Do your research on the position, having standing knowledge of the company will be helpful and make you stand out.
    * Background check will be completed and required to proceed to next interview.

3. In person/Job offer- This interview will be with a different member of the recruiting/store team, but will cover the same information as in interview #2. If you get called back for a third, you have your foot in the door and keep up the positive attitude and interest level high. Speak to your knowledge and how well you can apply it to H&M.

Interview Questions
    • There really are no surprise questions in this interview. Just know the business and the exceptions and speak to your strengths.   Answer Question
    Negotiation in minimal, because of the companies high base. But give it a try!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at H&M in March 2010.

Quick turnaround of process. Phone interview then in person interview within the same week. Started working two weeks after that. The company did a good job of selling the position, culture and what to expect. Some of those things were inaccurate though.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is unsuccessful in our stores and how would you change it?   Answer Question
    I did not think I had room to negotiate, but in hind site I probably did.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at H&M in January 2010.

The entire process took a little over 3 weeks. The process began fine, however, after the first interview, everything seemed disorganized. The second seemed as if I was the only one who had prepared for the interview.

Very quick and easy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurnee, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurnee, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&M in December 2009.

Application screening, phone screen (about 5-10 minutes), first interview (half hour) possibly with background check, second interview (half hour). If you're not offered a job at the end of the 2nd interview but they call you to come in again you're getting the position.

Interview Questions
    • Numbers, know your sales numbers, percentages, etc. Take the initiative and don't forget customer service!   Answer Question
    Negotiation is pretty standard for mgmt, H&M pays pretty well for a retail job.