H&M

Average Difficulty
191 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Pasadena, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H&M in July 2014.

Interview Details – This is a detailed review on my interview experience with H&M. I hope this helps someone out there looking to apply with H&M as I strongly encourage you do so after my interview process and a brief introduction into the company. There seems to be a lot of growth and opportunities provided if you work hard enough and show your interest.

I applied recently on June 21, 2014.

Phone Interview and The Interview Process -
There was a phone interview before receiving an invitation to come in for a first interview. I applied online before this whole process (of course). And you must be at least 18 so I applied practically after my 18th birthday. The first interview was between the store director who I spoke with on the phone and a supervisor who was there to take notes and observe. I wore something semi-formal to feel comfortable, but to look put together. They emphasize on individualism and creativity; so don't be afraid to really show them your true personality and of course style. Also, there isn't a strict dress code so that's a major plus and you are allowed to have piercings and tattoos, but as an employee its always best to look presentable and not like you rolled out of bed straight to work. Back to the interview. The first interview lasted 15 minutes which was pretty short considering I arrived early (15 minutes) and was called in at the time the interview was supposed to be held and then was asked nearly the same questions on the phone. So I again felt repetitive but now they could put my face to my answers and probably noticed the consistency in my responses because honesty is key.
After my interview I went to hang out around the area and received a call 2-3 hours after the interview to schedule the second interview. Since it was fourth of July weekend I already had prior engagements to be out of town and they decided to do the second interview the next day which I was more than happy to get it out of the way and it made me more excited to speak to the store manager and it was one step closer to a job.
The second interview was practically similar to the first. I felt like I was just as comfortable and was asked yet again the same questions and surprisingly was not thrown any hard balls. I felt like I made a good impression on the store manager and I was complemented on a couple of my responses as I made sure I mentioned how excited I was to be working here and I liked to stay organize and eventually dabble in Visual Merchandising if I stayed with the company. She liked my responses and told me after another 15 minute interview that she'd call me after Monday or Tuesday once she spoke with the two other managers who interviewed me.

Job Offer -
I wasn't called back on Monday which started to make me doubt on getting the job and I made sure I called Tuesday to make sure I didn't let the job slip away and I wanted to be as fresh in their mind as possible. And as promised the store manager knew she was supposed to respond back to me but she put me on hold again and I received a call from the store director asking me to come in on July 10th for a job offer! So the whole process took about two weeks to actually get a job with them, which I was really fortunate on not be put on hold as I read some people dont hear back for weeks or months. Its smart to be consistent and a bit aggressive to show your interest and your passion for which ever position you may be going for. I filled out all the paper work on the 10th and signed on how much I would be paid and was told when training and my official employment would begin. I start the 22nd of July and training was said to last for two weeks.

Pay & Other Benefits -
The pay was definitely above minimum for my area. Minimum being $9. And I was unaware of the exact pay until the day I came in to sign my contract. I was actually planning on negotiating pay because of my previous work experience and my 'skill level' which I dont know if that matters or not when negotiating but after further research the glassdoor estimation for pay is pretty accurate. It was above what I was going to ask for which pleased me and I did not need to argue, Also they do pay for overtime which my last job did not, but apparently its very rare there. I was not explained discounts or any of the benefits that came with the job probably because I'm part time for now and it might be explained while training, but I looked up discounts out of curiosity and saw it was 25% which is pretty good I guess, and with benefits and higher than average pay there can't be much to complain about.

* I'm sorry for how long this was and how I went off topic a lot, but I was as detailed as possible on my personal experience and I hope this eases some minds for people who want to be a part of the H&M team.. I know I have some friends who don't actually enjoy H&M but I think they're a pretty great company and place to be working.

Interview Question – There was no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate because the pay was much higher than expected.

Department Supervisor Interview

Department Supervisor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at H&M in July 2014.

Interview Details – I first had a phone interview with a recruiter I met thru LinkedIn and a few weeks after that she invited me to a meet and greet networking event. It was corporate members as well as local store managers. I spoke to everyone and filled out background check and did mini interviews. About a week later, I received a call from one of the managers to come in for a formal interview. Then about a week later she called me to come in again and I was offered the job. All in all the process probably took a little over a month.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I wanted more than the initial offer because of the distance from home and work and I was granted a little more.

Sales Advisor Interview

Sales Advisor
Miami Beach, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at H&M in October 2012.

Interview Details – i applied online recieved a email feom the recuritment, then2 days later a phone interview which caught me off gaurd, but i somehoe seem to ace that part,i was scheduled a interview then a decond one which offered me a job

Interview Question – none i knew all the answers   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 11.00 dollars i didnt negotiate because that was a lot for my first job with no retail fresh out of high school

Part-time Sales Advisor

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at H&M in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to H&M on numerous occasions but never got a call.When I decided to to another application it was just my luck that they called me back.When they called me back I was a little surprised. I had my phone interview that must've went well because i was offered a face to face interview. When I went to the interview I was asked questions and was told to tell a little about myself in more depth. At the end I was told that they thought I would be good fit. They had me sign some papers so that they could do there background check.It took almost two months for them to call me back. They called me and basically asked me to come in. They asked me the same questions and then they said they would like to offer me the job.

Interview Question – 7 Values of H&M? & Why do you want to work at H&M?, Why do you think you would be a good fit for store?(H&M)...   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Agent Interview

Customer Service Agent
Chicago, IL

I applied online and interviewed at H&M.

Interview Details – Telephone interview and then group interview (with 1:1 interview section included as well). Everyone was really friendly and welcoming. They ask you about your customer service experiences and times you had a difficult customer. Basically they want to know that you have patience and how you handle conflict because they deal with difficult customers.

Interview Question – They have a scenario where they act like an upset customer who was denied access to a fitting room because he was in a wheelchair and he threatens to call the BBB.   View Answer

Buford, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H&M.

Interview Details – Applied online got called maybe a week or so later. Went to interview. I read online they like you to dress your own way. Doesn't have to be professional. Showcase your own style. Was asked basic interview questions.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Jacksonville, FL

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at H&M in June 2014.

Interview Details – I had applied to H&M many times before only to get a rejection e-mail. This time I saw they were hiring on the job board from the mall and applied. About two weeks later I got a call for a impromptu phone screening. The questions where why do you want to work for H&M? What is your availability? Describe your previous work history? What is your salary requirement? And things of that nature. Two days later I meet with the store manager and she asked similar questions. She wanted to know what experience I had, if I could handle irate customers and meet deadlines. How would my friends describe me and what kind of expectations was I looking for with H&M. The manager was very nice and made me feel at ease. The interview lasted between 30-40 minutes. At the end I had to fill out a background check. That Sunday, five days later I got a job offer and was invited to do paperwork. It still took a few weeks after that before I started training. I really did not think it would take this long to get hired.
It does help to do research about H&M and know ypur strengths and weaknesses. They will ask a lot about your previous work history, things you liked or did not like.

Interview Question – What are your expectations for H&M as a company?   Answer Question

Santa Barbara, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&M.

Interview Details – Describe the most challenging obstacle you've faced when dealing with a customer? How did you handle it? What are you strengths and weaknesses? What is your passion within fashion? What experience have you had in the past within fashion? Would you call yourself a fashionista?

Interview Question – Describe the most challenging obstacle you've faced when dealing with a customer? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Couldnt negotiate on start day. But eventually negotiated for higher pay when i stayed with company for a year

Sales Advisor Interview

Sales Advisor
Riverhead, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at H&M in July 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was to be as expected. They asked about previous work experience, availability, and ability to perform tasks required. They then submit you for a background check, and if that comes back clear and they feel you are a good fit for their team, they bring you back for a second interview, where they will offer you the job and begin the hiring process. The hiring process was simple, as well - standard paperwork, ID required, along with banking information for direct deposit. This company does not offer paper checks.

Interview Question – "Can you handle a full workload?" H&M is not the type of company where employees can sit around doing nothing at times. There is always a project, and often times the project will have to be completed while the store is busy, and employees are still expected to task (register, fitting room) while completing any project.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at H&M in July 2012.

Interview Details – Submit application and resume online, then there is a phone call with basic questions asking about availability and brief previous experience. H&M requires open availability on weekends. If company is interested, they schedule an in person interview. There can multiple in person interviews and you usually are with two people, one being a member of management. At any point in time these in person interviews can turn into a job offer. If not, the company's HR department will contact you via email that you did not get the job.

Interview Question – All interviews can be different since its based on which store and who is conducting the interview but large volumes stores will ask detail questions about how you manage you time and how you would problem solve different in store situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little room for negotiation at this level.

Worked for H&M? Contribute to the Community!