H&M Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 9, 2014
197 interviews

2.6

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&M.

I applied online, which also included like a 30 minute test that included stuff such as math problems. I got a phone call a couple of days later for a phone screening, at the end of it they set up a time for me to to an in person interview. After that I went in and interviewed, filled out a background check, and was called back a week later for my final interview. At the final interview I was offered the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H&M in July 2014.

This is a detailed review on my interview experience with H&M. I hope this helps someone out there looking to apply with H&M as I strongly encourage you do so after my interview process and a brief introduction into the company. There seems to be a lot of growth and opportunities provided if you work hard enough and show your interest.

I applied recently on June 21, 2014.

Phone Interview and The Interview Process -
    There was a phone interview before receiving an invitation to come in for a first interview. I applied online before this whole process (of course). And you must be at least 18 so I applied practically after my 18th birthday. The first interview was between the store director who I spoke with on the phone and a supervisor who was there to take notes and observe. I wore something semi-formal to feel comfortable, but to look put together. They emphasize on individualism and creativity; so don't be afraid to really show them your true personality and of course style. Also, there isn't a strict dress code so that's a major plus and you are allowed to have piercings and tattoos, but as an employee its always best to look presentable and not like you rolled out of bed straight to work. Back to the interview. The first interview lasted 15 minutes which was pretty short considering I arrived early (15 minutes) and was called in at the time the interview was supposed to be held and then was asked nearly the same questions on the phone. So I again felt repetitive but now they could put my face to my answers and probably noticed the consistency in my responses because honesty is key.
    After my interview I went to hang out around the area and received a call 2-3 hours after the interview to schedule the second interview. Since it was fourth of July weekend I already had prior engagements to be out of town and they decided to do the second interview the next day which I was more than happy to get it out of the way and it made me more excited to speak to the store manager and it was one step closer to a job.
    The second interview was practically similar to the first. I felt like I was just as comfortable and was asked yet again the same questions and surprisingly was not thrown any hard balls. I felt like I made a good impression on the store manager and I was complemented on a couple of my responses as I made sure I mentioned how excited I was to be working here and I liked to stay organize and eventually dabble in Visual Merchandising if I stayed with the company. She liked my responses and told me after another 15 minute interview that she'd call me after Monday or Tuesday once she spoke with the two other managers who interviewed me.

Job Offer -
    I wasn't called back on Monday which started to make me doubt on getting the job and I made sure I called Tuesday to make sure I didn't let the job slip away and I wanted to be as fresh in their mind as possible. And as promised the store manager knew she was supposed to respond back to me but she put me on hold again and I received a call from the store director asking me to come in on July 10th for a job offer! So the whole process took about two weeks to actually get a job with them, which I was really fortunate on not be put on hold as I read some people dont hear back for weeks or months. Its smart to be consistent and a bit aggressive to show your interest and your passion for which ever position you may be going for. I filled out all the paper work on the 10th and signed on how much I would be paid and was told when training and my official employment would begin. I start the 22nd of July and training was said to last for two weeks.

Pay & Other Benefits -
    The pay was definitely above minimum for my area. Minimum being $9. And I was unaware of the exact pay until the day I came in to sign my contract. I was actually planning on negotiating pay because of my previous work experience and my 'skill level' which I dont know if that matters or not when negotiating but after further research the glassdoor estimation for pay is pretty accurate. It was above what I was going to ask for which pleased me and I did not need to argue, Also they do pay for overtime which my last job did not, but apparently its very rare there. I was not explained discounts or any of the benefits that came with the job probably because I'm part time for now and it might be explained while training, but I looked up discounts out of curiosity and saw it was 25% which is pretty good I guess, and with benefits and higher than average pay there can't be much to complain about.

* I'm sorry for how long this was and how I went off topic a lot, but I was as detailed as possible on my personal experience and I hope this eases some minds for people who want to be a part of the H&M team.. I know I have some friends who don't actually enjoy H&M but I think they're a pretty great company and place to be working.

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate because the pay was much higher than expected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockford, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

I interviewed online - interviewed at H&M in August 2014.

3 months ago i applied at H&M for the fifth time in 2 years. Out of no where I was listening to my voice mail and one of the managers called me to do a phone screening. After I did the screening a week after I got called for a face to face interview. They did a background check and after that I got told I was going to get a call the next week to see if they were interested on me. I went to my 2nd interview the next week and a different manager with the DM asked me questions and after that they told me they were going to let me know if I got the last and final interview in 3 days. They called me back and told me to go in for a 3rd interview and basically they offered me the position.

They didn't negotiate with just told me if I wanted to accept or decline.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&M in July 2014.

I applied online which had a questionnaire, and I was called within a couple of weeks to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview just had a few questions like why I chose H&M. I was asked for a brief description of my work history.and was informed about what the job consisted of. Then I was scheduled to come in for a formal interview the following week. The formal interview I was asked to talk a little about myself, my work history, what I loved and least liked about certain positions etc. Then I was called 2-3 days later asking if I could come in for a follow up and when I showed up I was told I had the job and went over my pay and signed a few papers. It was a great and fast process compared to most I have been through. I felt very comfortable talking to the two managers, I felt like I could be myself and they didn't take forever getting back with me which I very much appreciated. Also they aren't expecting you to dress in a 3 piece suit for interviews. They want you to dress your style and personality. They are all about individuality.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about their core values and what some of them mean to me.   Answer Question
    I asked for less thinking it was going to be minimum wage like most retail chains but they offered me over a dollar more than what I asked and it was more than what I made at the job I had with a respectable company for the last 3 years. It was well above minimum wage.

PT Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H&M in October 2013.

I applied to the company online for a new store that I knew was opening soon because I live directly around the corner from it. I got a call from the store manager of the new location a few days later and we did a phone interview. That went well, and she invited me to a different store location since we didn't have a home store yet to do my first face-to-face interview. When I went for that interview, it was with the same store manager I had my phone interview with and also a supervisor. That also went pretty well and they had me fill out paperwork and a consent form for them to perform a background check. I was told that when my results came back, I would be given a phone call. About a week later, I received another call from the store manager saying my results came back "Green" which meant I passed, and she then set up a time for my third and final interview, which would be with two different managers. I went in for that interview and it was basically them explaining the values of H&M to me and the expectations of the job. After they finished, they offered me a part time permanent position and I accepted. After this they went into more detail about the job and set up a time for my orientation.

Interview Questions
    They offered me much more than I had ever made at any job prior, so I felt no reason to negotiate.

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at H&M in May 2013.

When I got interviewed to become a sales advisor for H&M I received a phone call by the store manager. Although I missed her call she was easy to reach back and was extremely nice. She asked me if it was a convenient time to talk to her and of course I replied yes. The phone interview was very straight forward and brief she basically asked me about my work experience and availability. H&M Prefers people with retail experience especially in the bigger, fast past ones. I had more then a year of retail experience and my availability was open ( major plus). She also reminded me that I could not keep my current job because it was a competitor, so if you come from forever 21, children's place you have to leave it!. I was fine with that of course! She continued and asked me for my salary and I told her 8.00 she offered me 11 which I was more then happy to take. However guys don't do the same mistake and ask for more. If you have the experience H&M will negotiate and they are a very good paying retail company.
     Going forward my interview went great she was brief and told me to come in for an interview that same week in her store. When I went in for a interview I was interviewed by the same person ( the store manager) and the department manager so I had double the pressure. However they were very nice and of course I did amazing. They started of the interview by telling me exactly " tell me about yourself". So I did by briefly telling them my work history and my plans with school. They were interested in my school and asked me these other questions. 1. Why H&M? which if you want answer you don't deserve to even work there. Make sure you know the basic H&M history and of course their amazing fashion. I reminded them that I waited on turning 18 just to work for a company that I myself was a proud customer of. 2. H&M is a fast paste store, what makes you think you can handle that? but seriously what makes you think you can. I recommend only applying if you have the retail experience. If you have retail experience in a fast past environment make sure to mention that and a successful moment you had with a stressful situation. 3. Fun Fact was definitely my top voted tricky question. Mostly that was the 2nd interview they loved my responses. So retail experience is a plus.
    Make sure to emphasize efficacy and responsibility and show they are your values !
    Go in positive. They told me they would call me in a week to give me the final answer. I believed they called me in 3 days and my 3rd interview was just paper work and I was hired ! P.S h&m does do a back ground check so if it matters keep that in mind !

Interview Questions
    I got what I wanted which was my part time job but I a month they offered me full time. They do if they see you work hard. Negotiate above 11 I wish I did but it is still better then minimum wage . hope this helped !

Department Supervisor Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at H&M in July 2014.

I first had a phone interview with a recruiter I met thru LinkedIn and a few weeks after that she invited me to a meet and greet networking event. It was corporate members as well as local store managers. I spoke to everyone and filled out background check and did mini interviews. About a week later, I received a call from one of the managers to come in for a formal interview. Then about a week later she called me to come in again and I was offered the job. All in all the process probably took a little over a month.

Interview Questions
    I wanted more than the initial offer because of the distance from home and work and I was granted a little more.

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami Beach, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at H&M in October 2012.

i applied online recieved a email feom the recuritment, then2 days later a phone interview which caught me off gaurd, but i somehoe seem to ace that part,i was scheduled a interview then a decond one which offered me a job

Interview Questions
    11.00 dollars i didnt negotiate because that was a lot for my first job with no retail fresh out of high school

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at H&M in May 2014.

I applied to H&M on numerous occasions but never got a call.When I decided to to another application it was just my luck that they called me back.When they called me back I was a little surprised. I had my phone interview that must've went well because i was offered a face to face interview. When I went to the interview I was asked questions and was told to tell a little about myself in more depth. At the end I was told that they thought I would be good fit. They had me sign some papers so that they could do there background check.It took almost two months for them to call me back. They called me and basically asked me to come in. They asked me the same questions and then they said they would like to offer me the job.

Interview Questions
    • 7 Values of H&M? & Why do you want to work at H&M?, Why do you think you would be a good fit for store?(H&M)...   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online - interviewed at H&M.

Telephone interview and then group interview (with 1:1 interview section included as well). Everyone was really friendly and welcoming. They ask you about your customer service experiences and times you had a difficult customer. Basically they want to know that you have patience and how you handle conflict because they deal with difficult customers.

Interview Questions
    • They have a scenario where they act like an upset customer who was denied access to a fitting room because he was in a wheelchair and he threatens to call the BBB.   View Answer

Worked for H&M? Contribute to the Community!