H&M Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.5

Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

First they phone screen you, basically ask you questions about previous experience (if you have any), and they try to get a feel for your personality. If you pass the phone screening, they tell you right away by setting you up for an in-person interview. I was told it would be an interview with the 3 main managers but it ended up being 2 different department managers from the store. One asks questions and the other takes notes while you talk. If the interview goes well they ask you to submit to a background check. If that goes well they set you up for a second interview with the store manager. If that goes well they offer you the job and start your training.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at H&M (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

applied online, received a call for an in person interview, and met with the recruiter and then was approved for a second interview with the store manager the first interview was very relaxed and the recruiter was easy going. we basically talked most about my prior work experience and she did ask me question if i was aware of H&M's conscious collection and what I thought about it. the second interview was with the store manager and she kind and professional

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

It is at least a five step process for management hires. Also you may or may not interview with the store you will end up working at. Additionally there is a culture that looks down on and treats outside hires less than employees who are promoted within. Interviews with members of the district team are really great and you also have to critique them on how they conduct the interview and give them feedback. In the interview process for management they will really sell you on the company, promotions and benefits.

Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

You get phone screened, then if you impress the interviewer you get a store interview which might be 1 on 1 or a group interview and depending on how it goes you will get a call back for a second interview which is when they tell you that your hired.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had an angry customer, what did you do to calm them down?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

I attended an open interview--showed up, filled out an application, and then had a 5-10 minute interview with a manager. Standard interview questions, nothing special. I was then told that the hiring process takes anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks, and I would be notified if I was wanted for a 2nd interview.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Columbus, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

I attended a networking event where applicants that H&M were interested in for multiple positions came to be interviewed. Typically if you are a potential candidate they are interested in you would have a phone interview, however, this event eliminated the phone portion and you had a one-on-one. I met with the store manager, who asked the typical questions that would be asked during the phone interview. It was pretty standard. Job history, details about current job, why H&M, explain a time where I faced a difficult situation-how did I handle it-what was the result, etc... I was given a basic understanding of typical requirements for the position and asked about my expectations. The SM was very nice, friendly, and expressed a few expectations/standards of the employees. I was then asked to stay for a 2nd interview. This interview was with the District HR Manager. He was also very friendly and gave an overview of his duration with the company. He talked about the role and asked questions pertaining to my leadership, business, mentoring, and merchandising qualities/skills. Most of the questions were standard but there were a few that really dug deep into how you are a leader, how you overcome obstacles, how you motivate your team, and what you can bring to the table. Afterwards I filled out a background check...and was told that I would hear back something in the next 2 weeks. I was advised the next steps will be one of three.. 1. Another interview with the District Manager and/or Store Manager of the store I would potentially go to, 2. Offer position or 3. Not a fit at this time. Initially I applied for a Visual Merchandiser position, but due to my qualifications the SM actually told me I was overqualified for that position and asked me if I would consider the Department Manager position instead. I found out about the job opening through glassdoor...applied and received and e-mail inviting me to the networking event about 2 days later. The event was about 10 days from the initial application submission. I am waiting to find out what is my next option...

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had a difficult situation, how did you handle it, what was the outcome, what did you learn from it?   1 Answer
    • How will your skills and experience make a difference at H&M?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I researched the avg. pay for salary/hourly rates, and gave my starting base offer from the avg. amount made.

Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Orland Park, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Typical interview process. I applied online and received an email a week later to set up an in person interview. Once I arrived I waited twenty or thirty minutes for the manager because she was pretty business. Once we started it was pretty much like any other interview. We laughed and spoke as though we were friends. To me it seemed pretty easy. I answered most of her questions before she was able to ask me because she was flipping through papers writing down my answers. I wore all black, a cardigan and a tutu shirt (she told me she loved my style). Once we were done she told me it'd take up to two weeks for a phone or email response depending on how busy the store was. A few days later I received an email saying I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• What was your first impression of the store when you arrived?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at H&M (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied to h&m in May and did a follow up with a call a week later and was told buy the associate they would notify a manager. Took a month to finally get a call which was a phone interview. Questions were tell me about your previous work experience. Why h&m. I had previous retail experience so they asked me what i was familiar with. Asked what does customer service mean to me. I was then asked to come in the next day for a group interview. It was four of us being interviewed by the district manager, store manager, and a sales advisor. Very relaxed and friendly environment. Interview was hands on we were in the stock room and had to each work together to check prices and count specific items a team building exercise. At the end had us each fill out a background check. Less then a week i was offered the position!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

In the phone interview they ask what is the pay you are expecting i said 10, but they offered me way more then that becauss of my prior retail experience. Way above minimum wage

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&M in August 2015.

Interview

After applying online the store manager contacted me 4 days later. Had a phone screening and got scheduled for an in-person interview. After about a week of waiting I got another call back to have a interview with the store manager and district supervisor. Both interviews were very laid back and casual. Wasn't as nervous as I thought. Then, at the end of the interview I got offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Previous job experience? What are some of your skills that can contribute to H&M? What do you know about H&M?   Answer Question

H&M Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at H&M (San Diego, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I got a call from H&M and did a phone interview and that went very. I was then asked to visit one of their stores and talk to a manager face to face.

Interview Questions

• Describe your personality?   1 Answer