H&M Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.6

Sales Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at H&M in August 2014.

I went to a recruiting event and continued on to a second interview in a group setting. We had to work in groups to complete a couple of activities. none of the questions were that difficult for the first round. It's been 3 weeks and haven't heard from them yet. :(

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at H&M.

Phone interview, then group interview, received call about a week later for another interview with manager. Did not get an offer because my availability was not as flexible as they would of liked because of school.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Towson, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at H&M.

Walked in the store and asked if they were hiring/had an application. Filled out app in the mall and dropped it off shortly thereafter. Made a follow up call a few days later and spoke with a manager who sort of gave me an unofficial interview to go over work experience. We set up an interview from there a few days later. Typical questions: why did I want to work at H&M? What was I studying in school? Past work experiences? Pretty standard stuff. It's a retail job so just have a great attitude and wear something cool. Got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example when you were working with another employee who wasn't putting in their fare share of work, how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at H&M.

Had a phone interview then was told to go in store for an in person interview. The interview was relaxed and wasn't difficult. I was told that I would receive a call after they finish my background check but I never got a call back.

Interview Questions
    • Would you want to move up the ladder (corporate) at H&M in the future?   Answer Question

Full Time Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at H&M.

I applied online and was then contacted by email about a week later. The email told me to call back in which I had a phone interview. The manager was very nice and laid back making me feel comfortable. I then had a second interview in person with the district recruiter which was very pleasant. Immediately after her I met with the store manager and she was pleasant as well. Overall easy going experience.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was in regards to their own store, what would I suggest to improve their sales & what do I see as an opportunity to improve their sales floor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at H&M in September 2014.

I went in asked if they were hiring although I applied online it's better if you go in after. They asked if I had a printed copy of my resume, I did, in the front of the store they asked me two simple questions, why H&M? And what is good customer service? Simple enough. Then I shook their hand and went on my merry way but they called me within 5 minutes and asked me to come back for an interview. They took me to the back had me fill out a paper and then asked me more questions. Nothing hard. A time where you used team work? What kind of vibe did u get from h and m when u first went in? How much do you expect to be paid? What do you expect working as a sales advisor as far as the work goes? And a few other I forgot,
    Nothing hard or unexpected . Good luck

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H&M in July 2014.

This is a detailed review on my interview experience with H&M. I hope this helps someone out there looking to apply with H&M as I strongly encourage you do so after my interview process and a brief introduction into the company. There seems to be a lot of growth and opportunities provided if you work hard enough and show your interest.

I applied recently on June 21, 2014.

Phone Interview and The Interview Process -
    There was a phone interview before receiving an invitation to come in for a first interview. I applied online before this whole process (of course). And you must be at least 18 so I applied practically after my 18th birthday. The first interview was between the store director who I spoke with on the phone and a supervisor who was there to take notes and observe. I wore something semi-formal to feel comfortable, but to look put together. They emphasize on individualism and creativity; so don't be afraid to really show them your true personality and of course style. Also, there isn't a strict dress code so that's a major plus and you are allowed to have piercings and tattoos, but as an employee its always best to look presentable and not like you rolled out of bed straight to work. Back to the interview. The first interview lasted 15 minutes which was pretty short considering I arrived early (15 minutes) and was called in at the time the interview was supposed to be held and then was asked nearly the same questions on the phone. So I again felt repetitive but now they could put my face to my answers and probably noticed the consistency in my responses because honesty is key.
    After my interview I went to hang out around the area and received a call 2-3 hours after the interview to schedule the second interview. Since it was fourth of July weekend I already had prior engagements to be out of town and they decided to do the second interview the next day which I was more than happy to get it out of the way and it made me more excited to speak to the store manager and it was one step closer to a job.
    The second interview was practically similar to the first. I felt like I was just as comfortable and was asked yet again the same questions and surprisingly was not thrown any hard balls. I felt like I made a good impression on the store manager and I was complemented on a couple of my responses as I made sure I mentioned how excited I was to be working here and I liked to stay organize and eventually dabble in Visual Merchandising if I stayed with the company. She liked my responses and told me after another 15 minute interview that she'd call me after Monday or Tuesday once she spoke with the two other managers who interviewed me.

Job Offer -
    I wasn't called back on Monday which started to make me doubt on getting the job and I made sure I called Tuesday to make sure I didn't let the job slip away and I wanted to be as fresh in their mind as possible. And as promised the store manager knew she was supposed to respond back to me but she put me on hold again and I received a call from the store director asking me to come in on July 10th for a job offer! So the whole process took about two weeks to actually get a job with them, which I was really fortunate on not be put on hold as I read some people dont hear back for weeks or months. Its smart to be consistent and a bit aggressive to show your interest and your passion for which ever position you may be going for. I filled out all the paper work on the 10th and signed on how much I would be paid and was told when training and my official employment would begin. I start the 22nd of July and training was said to last for two weeks.

Pay & Other Benefits -
    The pay was definitely above minimum for my area. Minimum being $9. And I was unaware of the exact pay until the day I came in to sign my contract. I was actually planning on negotiating pay because of my previous work experience and my 'skill level' which I dont know if that matters or not when negotiating but after further research the glassdoor estimation for pay is pretty accurate. It was above what I was going to ask for which pleased me and I did not need to argue, Also they do pay for overtime which my last job did not, but apparently its very rare there. I was not explained discounts or any of the benefits that came with the job probably because I'm part time for now and it might be explained while training, but I looked up discounts out of curiosity and saw it was 25% which is pretty good I guess, and with benefits and higher than average pay there can't be much to complain about.

* I'm sorry for how long this was and how I went off topic a lot, but I was as detailed as possible on my personal experience and I hope this eases some minds for people who want to be a part of the H&M team.. I know I have some friends who don't actually enjoy H&M but I think they're a pretty great company and place to be working.

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate because the pay was much higher than expected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&M in July 2014.

I applied online which had a questionnaire, and I was called within a couple of weeks to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview just had a few questions like why I chose H&M. I was asked for a brief description of my work history.and was informed about what the job consisted of. Then I was scheduled to come in for a formal interview the following week. The formal interview I was asked to talk a little about myself, my work history, what I loved and least liked about certain positions etc. Then I was called 2-3 days later asking if I could come in for a follow up and when I showed up I was told I had the job and went over my pay and signed a few papers. It was a great and fast process compared to most I have been through. I felt very comfortable talking to the two managers, I felt like I could be myself and they didn't take forever getting back with me which I very much appreciated. Also they aren't expecting you to dress in a 3 piece suit for interviews. They want you to dress your style and personality. They are all about individuality.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about their core values and what some of them mean to me.   Answer Question
    I asked for less thinking it was going to be minimum wage like most retail chains but they offered me over a dollar more than what I asked and it was more than what I made at the job I had with a respectable company for the last 3 years. It was well above minimum wage.

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&M.

I applied online, which also included like a 30 minute test that included stuff such as math problems. I got a phone call a couple of days later for a phone screening, at the end of it they set up a time for me to to an in person interview. After that I went in and interviewed, filled out a background check, and was called back a week later for my final interview. At the final interview I was offered the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockford, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

I applied online - interviewed at H&M in August 2014.

3 months ago i applied at H&M for the fifth time in 2 years. Out of no where I was listening to my voice mail and one of the managers called me to do a phone screening. After I did the screening a week after I got called for a face to face interview. They did a background check and after that I got told I was going to get a call the next week to see if they were interested on me. I went to my 2nd interview the next week and a different manager with the DM asked me questions and after that they told me they were going to let me know if I got the last and final interview in 3 days. They called me back and told me to go in for a 3rd interview and basically they offered me the position.

They didn't negotiate with just told me if I wanted to accept or decline.

Worked for H&M? Contribute to the Community!