H&M Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.5

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at H&M in March 2015.

Interview

Sorry if this is long, I just want to make sure this is as detailed as possible!

I applied online at H&M and three weeks later got a call from the manager and had a phone interview asking basic questions about availability and previous job experience. He told me there were a lot of applicants and if they decide to let me go threw the next round, I would hear another call by next week.

True to his word, I got a call the next week on a Friday and was asked to come in on Tuesday. To prepare I read interview reviews on here and checked the company's website to find their mission statement and other facts about H&M(I highly suggest doing this since they have all of their info on their website and would definitely help you answer H&M related Q's during the interview as well as help you relate your experience to the skills the company is looking for in future employees). Also I don't keep up with trends much so I checked online for the latest fashion trends for spring 2015 since a lot of fashion retailers want to know you have some type of knowledge about fashion. Also I wrote down questions I would ask at the end of the interview.

On the first interview, I came in 15 min early, wearing a white button down shirt, a blazer, and a plaid skirt with tights and jewelry. I met with the assistant manager and was taken to the back of the store for a 1:1. The questions she asked were similar to the phone interview, once again asking about availability and previous work experience. Also asked questions like, "Name a time you worked well with a team." What do you plan on majoring in, in college?" "Where do you you see yourself in this company after a year?" The one question that caught me by surprise is when she said to role play and pretend she's a new employee and I'm helping her train since I told her I help train two new employees at my previous job. Towards the end one of the questions I asked was if I passed this interview how many other interviews I would have since a lot of people on here had between 2-4 interviews. She told me that she was actually going to approve me to go on one final interview the next week! At the of the interview I signed a background check.

Today was my last interview and I went in wearing a beige sweater and a pleated skirt with tights with a necklace. Like many people on here who had the last interview with two managers, one of them didn't show up so I had another 1:1, but this time with store manager. The same questions were asked once again about my previous jobs, school, and availability. Other questions asked was a time you helped a difficult customer, what set H&M about from other clothing stores, can you work in a fast paced environment, etc. I asked questions about how the store was ran and duties and responsibilities. I was the offered the job on the spot and had to sign paperwork.

I guess some tips I can offer that will hopefully help is to dress fashionably of course. If you can, dress wearing something that's on trend. If not dress professionally. The interview dress code is really laid back, they want to know your sense of style and individuality! For most question asked I made sure to relate it with previous experience like, "Can you handle feedback?" I said yes and use my experience at my last job were I wasn't trained and how I would always ask for feedback, ways I can improve, and always asked questions. Make sure to keep eye contact, try to smile, and show that you're determined and know about the company and you should do fine! H&M is all giving out opportunities as long as you're dedicated, determined, and work hard, so even if you have no job experience or not retail experience (like me) you can still have the chance to get hired! Good luck and hope this was helpful!!

Interview Questions

• Name a time you helped a difficult customer.   1 Answer
    • Name a time where you had bad and good customer service.   1 Answer
    • Name a time were showed leadership.   1 Answer
    • Can you handle feedback well?   Answer Question

Department Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at H&M in April 2015.

Interview

1) online application
          - two assessment tests after you fill out application.
    2) about two weeks later I got a call from a recruiter and had a phone interview which lasted 10-15 mins. Very easy and basic questions (though you will be asked to have examples for certain situations). Don't forget to have lots of energy even if it is over the phone.
    3) Got an email three days later setting up a group interview. This is where it gets fun. During the group interview we had to do a lot of role-playing it definitely shows how you work with others and deal with stress. Not going to give any specific activities we did only because it might vary from interview to interview. Right after 4 hours they break the group off for individual interviews. Dress comfortably but fashionably. Skinny jeans and flats are great to wear.
    4) got a email the very next day telling me to come in for a 1:1 interview the next week. If you get this email or call that usually means you got the job. This one lasts for about an hour and I filled out my paperwork during this one.

Total time 4 weeks

BE YOURSELF! !!!!! Have lots of energy and don't let nerves get the best of you. Tattoos and piercings are accepted (even in management roles). The recruiters and store managers you meet are very laid back and positive.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&M.

Interview

What seemed like a great opportunity, I committed myself to the recruitment process. It first began with a 45min interview, after which I was invited to take a skills test. I scored above average on the lengthy test, and looked forward to an answer determining if I would be invited to the final assessment. I waited and then emailed my HR contact as the final assessment date got closer, to which she never responded to, unlike my past inquiries. The date passed by with no response.
    I understand not responding to the countless applications H&M receive, but to not follow up on a candidate that has sacrificed time to be partake in interviews and test is disrespectful.

Interview Questions

• Interview was straight forward.
      Why do you want to work in the fashion industry?

Answer Question

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&M.

Interview

Interview process consisted of 3 sessions (3 days).

Questions:
    -what are your strength and weaknesses?
    -what would you bring to the company?
    -how to deal with in work drama (with customers and coworkers)
    -how will your past employment experience would assist you with this position? (examples)
    -what were task you had to do at your past place of employment?
    -why do you want to work at H&M?

Interview Questions

• how to deal with in work drama (with customers and coworkers)   1 Answer

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at H&M.

Interview

1 to 1 personal interview. He asked questions like "Tell about a time you helped out a customer and what did you do," or "Tell about a customer asked for a size on a shirt and we did not carry it what would you do in that situation." They really look at what your wearing so make sure you are updated on fashion and make sure you keep a smile and eye contact the whole interview. It was easy and simple interview just make sure you know what to say and be confident!

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you did not like a co worker and what would you do about it   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at H&M.

Interview

Interview was very simple. Just dress fashionably and be yourself and you'll nail it.
    -Interview was tailored more about who I am and wanted to see if I would be a good fit to their company.

Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at H&M.

Interview

Went into the store and applied. A couple days later i was called to come in for a face to face interview. Went into the interview and got the job on the spot, just needed to submit for a background check. Couple days later the background check came back and was cleared, and we started the final hiring process.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H&M (Stockton, CA).

Interview

I submitted my application online and was contacted a week later. The interview process was fast. She asked me a few behavior questions and had me sign background check papers.

Interview Questions

• What are you expecting from H&M if you were to work here.   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Interview

I applied for a position with H&M. I received an email detailing that I was not a candidate due to the fact that they are seeking "energetic" people. And my qualifications did not match. I have had many years of experience in the field of which they advertised for in this position. However, I may not be in my 20's...they clearly have age discriminating practices company. I am appalled at their response and would never endorse anyone to apply for any position as they certainly do not value experienced professionals.

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at H&M.

Interview

I applied online and got a call 2 days later to schedule a one-on-one interview with one of the managers, which was the next day. I went in for the interview, which lasted about 20-25. She talked to me about what working there is gonna be like and asked me a few questions about my experiences in my previous job. After the interview was over she had me fill out a sheet for a background check. She said they will call me when it cleared.
          After a couple weeks they called me back to meet for a second time. This actually turned out to be a job offer and we discussed how much my wage is going to be (way better than my last job). The next day I just had to come in to fill out paperwork and i am now officially an H&M employee!