H&M Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.5

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at H&M (Columbus, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

I attended a networking event where applicants that H&M were interested in for multiple positions came to be interviewed. Typically if you are a potential candidate they are interested in you would have a phone interview, however, this event eliminated the phone portion and you had a one-on-one. I met with the store manager, who asked the typical questions that would be asked during the phone interview. It was pretty standard. Job history, details about current job, why H&M, explain a time where I faced a difficult situation-how did I handle it-what was the result, etc... I was given a basic understanding of typical requirements for the position and asked about my expectations. The SM was very nice, friendly, and expressed a few expectations/standards of the employees.

I was then asked to stay for a 2nd interview. This interview was with the District HR Manager. He was also very friendly and gave an overview of his duration with the company. He talked about the role and asked questions pertaining to my leadership, business, mentoring, and merchandising qualities/skills. Most of the questions were standard but there were a few that really dug deep into how you are a leader, how you overcome obstacles, how you motivate your team, and what you can bring to the table.

Afterwards I filled out a background check...and was told that I would hear back something in the next 2 weeks. I was advised the next steps will be one of three.. 1. Another interview with the District Manager and/or Store Manager of the store I would potentially go to, 2. Offer position or 3. Not a fit at this time.

Initially I applied for a Visual Merchandiser position, but due to my qualifications the SM actually told me I was overqualified for that position and asked me if I would consider the Department Manager position instead.

I found out about the job opening through glassdoor...applied and received and e-mail inviting me to the networking event about 2 days later. The event was about 10 days from the initial application submission.

I am waiting to find out what is my next option...

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had a difficult situation, how did you handle it, what was the outcome, what did you learn from it?   Answer Question
    • How will your skills and experience make a difference at H&M?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I researched the avg. pay for salary/hourly rates, and gave my starting base offer from the avg. amount made.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at H&M.

Interview

Nothing too elaborate. The usual questions were asked. The interview was held in the surrounding area outside of the store. The interviewer was a friendly person and did not ask too many questions other than the basic stuff such as why do you want to work here and do you have any previous experience that may help you excel at this job

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

Interview

I can speak for the telephone interview as my in store interview is this Thursday Godwilling. I applied and got a call within a few days. The interviewer asked questions about availability, what can you learn from h&m, why that lenticular store.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at H&M (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Relatively easygoing, as long as you prepare for the interview. I applied for the first online the night before and the next day I received a phone call from a store manager. I didn't expect a phone call so soon since reading other applicants prior interviews that process can last from a week to a month. From there on we commenced the interview and I was very nervous, my advice to you is prepare for any future interview like there is no tomorrow. But despite my nerves this manager let me move forward for an in store interview the next day.

I did my research and prepared for this whole interview the night before just by reading others interview experience on Glassdoor and doing research on the H&M website and interview process was if not exactly the same as the phone interview except I definitely felt more prepared and it showed in my interview. Once it was over I was would either receive a phone call or an email if I was to be moved forward for a third interview. Honestly even if I don't get it, I'm thankful for the experience I never had a job in retail before but it seems this store might be in need of someone with someone who already knows the ropes. Going to the interview was definitely out of my comfort zone but as long as you prepare you should be fine.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at H&M (Norfolk, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

I sat down with two managers and one in training in back room meeting area. They were extremely friendly and talked with me like I was an old friend. They really wanted to get to know me while also understanding if I would fit in to there very trendy company. They asked typical questions , why do want to work here, explain at time where you had to multi-task, etc. Very enjoyable and fun experience and hoping to here back soon.

PT Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&M.

Interview

they asked me a bunch of easy questions, nothing too hard. right now there's a campaign to recruit more people. Easy process great job if you're in school. H&M is an easy job.... just the quantity of these tasks are what makes it difficult.

Interview Questions

• why did I leave my old job   1 Answer

Department Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at H&M in April 2015.

Interview

1) online application
          - two assessment tests after you fill out application.
    2) about two weeks later I got a call from a recruiter and had a phone interview which lasted 10-15 mins. Very easy and basic questions (though you will be asked to have examples for certain situations). Don't forget to have lots of energy even if it is over the phone.
    3) Got an email three days later setting up a group interview. This is where it gets fun. During the group interview we had to do a lot of role-playing it definitely shows how you work with others and deal with stress. Not going to give any specific activities we did only because it might vary from interview to interview. Right after 4 hours they break the group off for individual interviews. Dress comfortably but fashionably. Skinny jeans and flats are great to wear.
    4) got a email the very next day telling me to come in for a 1:1 interview the next week. If you get this email or call that usually means you got the job. This one lasts for about an hour and I filled out my paperwork during this one.

Total time 4 weeks

BE YOURSELF! !!!!! Have lots of energy and don't let nerves get the best of you. Tattoos and piercings are accepted (even in management roles). The recruiters and store managers you meet are very laid back and positive.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&M (Dallas, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Process lasted about 3 weeks. I first met with the District recruiter. Interview lasted about 30 minutes. I was then scheduled an interview with the district manager. This interview lasted about 45 minutes to an hour over the phone. The District manager then invited me to attend a group assessment the next week. During this assessment there were about 9 of us that sat in front of a panel and answered various questions. Everyone had the opportunity to answer. After that we were pulled from the room one on one to talk individually. This whole process was about 4 hours. I was then told i would receive a call back within the week. After about 3 days i received a call giving me a formal job offer.

Interview Questions

• What locations have shopped in and if so, what was one opportunity that i saw in that store.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online – interviewed at H&M (Milwaukee, WI) in May 2015.

Interview

The freaking application was the hardest part. Part of the application was dealing with math analogies and word associations. The math part I could understand, but some of it was not related to the retail field; like how long a car is worth after depreciation of 20 years. And the word associations were from some words I have never even heard of.

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at H&M in March 2015.

Interview

Sorry if this is long, I just want to make sure this is as detailed as possible!

I applied online at H&M and three weeks later got a call from the manager and had a phone interview asking basic questions about availability and previous job experience. He told me there were a lot of applicants and if they decide to let me go threw the next round, I would hear another call by next week.

True to his word, I got a call the next week on a Friday and was asked to come in on Tuesday. To prepare I read interview reviews on here and checked the company's website to find their mission statement and other facts about H&M(I highly suggest doing this since they have all of their info on their website and would definitely help you answer H&M related Q's during the interview as well as help you relate your experience to the skills the company is looking for in future employees). Also I don't keep up with trends much so I checked online for the latest fashion trends for spring 2015 since a lot of fashion retailers want to know you have some type of knowledge about fashion. Also I wrote down questions I would ask at the end of the interview.

On the first interview, I came in 15 min early, wearing a white button down shirt, a blazer, and a plaid skirt with tights and jewelry. I met with the assistant manager and was taken to the back of the store for a 1:1. The questions she asked were similar to the phone interview, once again asking about availability and previous work experience. Also asked questions like, "Name a time you worked well with a team." What do you plan on majoring in, in college?" "Where do you you see yourself in this company after a year?" The one question that caught me by surprise is when she said to role play and pretend she's a new employee and I'm helping her train since I told her I help train two new employees at my previous job. Towards the end one of the questions I asked was if I passed this interview how many other interviews I would have since a lot of people on here had between 2-4 interviews. She told me that she was actually going to approve me to go on one final interview the next week! At the of the interview I signed a background check.

Today was my last interview and I went in wearing a beige sweater and a pleated skirt with tights with a necklace. Like many people on here who had the last interview with two managers, one of them didn't show up so I had another 1:1, but this time with store manager. The same questions were asked once again about my previous jobs, school, and availability. Other questions asked was a time you helped a difficult customer, what set H&M about from other clothing stores, can you work in a fast paced environment, etc. I asked questions about how the store was ran and duties and responsibilities. I was the offered the job on the spot and had to sign paperwork.

I guess some tips I can offer that will hopefully help is to dress fashionably of course. If you can, dress wearing something that's on trend. If not dress professionally. The interview dress code is really laid back, they want to know your sense of style and individuality! For most question asked I made sure to relate it with previous experience like, "Can you handle feedback?" I said yes and use my experience at my last job were I wasn't trained and how I would always ask for feedback, ways I can improve, and always asked questions. Make sure to keep eye contact, try to smile, and show that you're determined and know about the company and you should do fine! H&M is all giving out opportunities as long as you're dedicated, determined, and work hard, so even if you have no job experience or not retail experience (like me) you can still have the chance to get hired! Good luck and hope this was helpful!!

Interview Questions

• Name a time you helped a difficult customer.   1 Answer
    • Name a time where you had bad and good customer service.   1 Answer
    • Name a time were showed leadership.   1 Answer
    • Can you handle feedback well?   Answer Question