H&M Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.6

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at H&M in September 2014.

I applied through an advertisement placed by a recruiter for a new store opening. The recruiter conducted a quick five minute phone interview before booking me in for a time at H&M's Assessment Centre.

At the Assessment Centre, I filled in a form asking for the type of position I was after (full-time, part-time, casual), my availability to start and to attend training in Melbourne, two references and any health conditions that could impact on my ability to work. The interview itself was a group one. After going around the circle and revealing one weird fact about ourself (we didn't need to introduce ourselves), we were given coloured ribbons to tie onto ourselves as identifiers.

The first scenario (10 minutes) involved a late delivery of stock. We had to organise clothing onto two racks and a front table while responding to customer queries, "manager" feedback and other situations. The second scenario (10 minutes) was to create a window display right before open, as all the Visual Merchandisers had called in sick. The final scenario (approximately 30-40 minutes) had us brainstorm solutions to various problems that could occur in store, in the absense of management.

Interview Questions
    • You notice an employee smoking in the stock room. What would you do?   Answer Question

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at H&M in July 2014.

I applied online around the end of June. I received an initial call back about a week or so later. The initial interview consisted of basic questions such as previous experience, availability, things like that. I was invited to a second interview at a nearby hotel with the district manager of the new H&M. I thought things had gone pretty well since they were going to run a background check and gave me papers about their benefits. I didn't hear anything back for a few weeks. I reached out to corporate and they told me that sometimes it may take a few weeks for managers to get back. More weeks passed until I found myself in an H&M. I spoke with an associate & spoke with a manager who said she would contact me. I wasn't surprised that I didn't get it since it'd been so long but it would've been nice to not have been let out in the cold for weeks. :/

Sales Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at H&M in August 2014.

I went to a recruiting event and continued on to a second interview in a group setting. We had to work in groups to complete a couple of activities. none of the questions were that difficult for the first round. It's been 3 weeks and haven't heard from them yet. :(

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at H&M.

Phone interview, then group interview, received call about a week later for another interview with manager. Did not get an offer because my availability was not as flexible as they would of liked because of school.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Towson, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at H&M.

Walked in the store and asked if they were hiring/had an application. Filled out app in the mall and dropped it off shortly thereafter. Made a follow up call a few days later and spoke with a manager who sort of gave me an unofficial interview to go over work experience. We set up an interview from there a few days later. Typical questions: why did I want to work at H&M? What was I studying in school? Past work experiences? Pretty standard stuff. It's a retail job so just have a great attitude and wear something cool. Got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example when you were working with another employee who wasn't putting in their fare share of work, how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at H&M.

Had a phone interview then was told to go in store for an in person interview. The interview was relaxed and wasn't difficult. I was told that I would receive a call after they finish my background check but I never got a call back.

Interview Questions
    • Would you want to move up the ladder (corporate) at H&M in the future?   Answer Question

Full Time Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at H&M.

I applied online and was then contacted by email about a week later. The email told me to call back in which I had a phone interview. The manager was very nice and laid back making me feel comfortable. I then had a second interview in person with the district recruiter which was very pleasant. Immediately after her I met with the store manager and she was pleasant as well. Overall easy going experience.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was in regards to their own store, what would I suggest to improve their sales & what do I see as an opportunity to improve their sales floor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at H&M in September 2014.

I went in asked if they were hiring although I applied online it's better if you go in after. They asked if I had a printed copy of my resume, I did, in the front of the store they asked me two simple questions, why H&M? And what is good customer service? Simple enough. Then I shook their hand and went on my merry way but they called me within 5 minutes and asked me to come back for an interview. They took me to the back had me fill out a paper and then asked me more questions. Nothing hard. A time where you used team work? What kind of vibe did u get from h and m when u first went in? How much do you expect to be paid? What do you expect working as a sales advisor as far as the work goes? And a few other I forgot,
    Nothing hard or unexpected . Good luck

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&M.

I applied online, which also included like a 30 minute test that included stuff such as math problems. I got a phone call a couple of days later for a phone screening, at the end of it they set up a time for me to to an in person interview. After that I went in and interviewed, filled out a background check, and was called back a week later for my final interview. At the final interview I was offered the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&M in July 2014.

I applied online which had a questionnaire, and I was called within a couple of weeks to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview just had a few questions like why I chose H&M. I was asked for a brief description of my work history.and was informed about what the job consisted of. Then I was scheduled to come in for a formal interview the following week. The formal interview I was asked to talk a little about myself, my work history, what I loved and least liked about certain positions etc. Then I was called 2-3 days later asking if I could come in for a follow up and when I showed up I was told I had the job and went over my pay and signed a few papers. It was a great and fast process compared to most I have been through. I felt very comfortable talking to the two managers, I felt like I could be myself and they didn't take forever getting back with me which I very much appreciated. Also they aren't expecting you to dress in a 3 piece suit for interviews. They want you to dress your style and personality. They are all about individuality.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about their core values and what some of them mean to me.   Answer Question
    I asked for less thinking it was going to be minimum wage like most retail chains but they offered me over a dollar more than what I asked and it was more than what I made at the job I had with a respectable company for the last 3 years. It was well above minimum wage.

Worked for H&M? Contribute to the Community!