H&M

Updated Feb 21, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&M in July 2014.

I applied online which had a questionnaire, and I was called within a couple of weeks to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview just had a few questions like why I chose H&M. I was asked for a brief description of my work history.and was informed about what the job consisted of. Then I was scheduled to come in for a formal interview the following week. The formal interview I was asked to talk a little about myself, my work history, what I loved and least liked about certain positions etc. Then I was called 2-3 days later asking if I could come in for a follow up and when I showed up I was told I had the job and went over my pay and signed a few papers. It was a great and fast process compared to most I have been through. I felt very comfortable talking to the two managers, I felt like I could be myself and they didn't take forever getting back with me which I very much appreciated. Also they aren't expecting you to dress in a 3 piece suit for interviews. They want you to dress your style and personality. They are all about individuality.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about their core values and what some of them mean to me.   Answer Question
    I asked for less thinking it was going to be minimum wage like most retail chains but they offered me over a dollar more than what I asked and it was more than what I made at the job I had with a respectable company for the last 3 years. It was well above minimum wage.

Department Supervisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at H&M in July 2014.

I first had a phone interview with a recruiter I met thru LinkedIn and a few weeks after that she invited me to a meet and greet networking event. It was corporate members as well as local store managers. I spoke to everyone and filled out background check and did mini interviews. About a week later, I received a call from one of the managers to come in for a formal interview. Then about a week later she called me to come in again and I was offered the job. All in all the process probably took a little over a month.

Interview Questions
    I wanted more than the initial offer because of the distance from home and work and I was granted a little more.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&M in July 2014.

My interview process was pretty quick, I had applied online but because I brought my resume in person I basically went through my pre screening that day and was called back in for a group session the next day. The group session was basically testing you on how well you could work as a team, and also about your communication skills. It was finished at 5:00pm, I was called back at 6:30 and asked to come in the Monday for a background check release form. I was then called the Thursday and asked to come in for a interview at the home store on friday, that day was basically my offer. The recruiting manager offered me $12.00 because of my experience, and asked if I could come in for orientation the following day. My process took roughly 2weeks faster than a lot of people.

Interview Questions
    • For the pre screening it was basic questions. 'I see you have a lot of retail experience so why H&M'
      'Can you work in a fast paced environment?' Stuff like that

Answer Question
    Didn't have to negotiate they offered me over what I wanted

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at H&M in July 2014.

I applied online around the end of June. I received an initial call back about a week or so later. The initial interview consisted of basic questions such as previous experience, availability, things like that. I was invited to a second interview at a nearby hotel with the district manager of the new H&M. I thought things had gone pretty well since they were going to run a background check and gave me papers about their benefits. I didn't hear anything back for a few weeks. I reached out to corporate and they told me that sometimes it may take a few weeks for managers to get back. More weeks passed until I found myself in an H&M. I spoke with an associate & spoke with a manager who said she would contact me. I wasn't surprised that I didn't get it since it'd been so long but it would've been nice to not have been let out in the cold for weeks. :/

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at H&M.

Telephone interview and then group interview (with 1:1 interview section included as well). Everyone was really friendly and welcoming. They ask you about your customer service experiences and times you had a difficult customer. Basically they want to know that you have patience and how you handle conflict because they deal with difficult customers.

Interview Questions
    • They have a scenario where they act like an upset customer who was denied access to a fitting room because he was in a wheelchair and he threatens to call the BBB.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Buford, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Buford, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&M.

Applied online got called maybe a week or so later. Went to interview. I read online they like you to dress your own way. Doesn't have to be professional. Showcase your own style. Was asked basic interview questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&M.

Describe the most challenging obstacle you've faced when dealing with a customer? How did you handle it? What are you strengths and weaknesses? What is your passion within fashion? What experience have you had in the past within fashion? Would you call yourself a fashionista?

Interview Questions
    • Describe the most challenging obstacle you've faced when dealing with a customer? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    Couldnt negotiate on start day. But eventually negotiated for higher pay when i stayed with company for a year

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at H&M in June 2014.

I had applied to H&M many times before only to get a rejection e-mail. This time I saw they were hiring on the job board from the mall and applied. About two weeks later I got a call for a impromptu phone screening. The questions where why do you want to work for H&M? What is your availability? Describe your previous work history? What is your salary requirement? And things of that nature. Two days later I meet with the store manager and she asked similar questions. She wanted to know what experience I had, if I could handle irate customers and meet deadlines. How would my friends describe me and what kind of expectations was I looking for with H&M. The manager was very nice and made me feel at ease. The interview lasted between 30-40 minutes. At the end I had to fill out a background check. That Sunday, five days later I got a job offer and was invited to do paperwork. It still took a few weeks after that before I started training. I really did not think it would take this long to get hired.
    It does help to do research about H&M and know ypur strengths and weaknesses. They will ask a lot about your previous work history, things you liked or did not like.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H&M in June 2014.

I walked into the store and talked to one of the current sales advisors about applying. I had already submitted my application online, so she referred me to her manager. I spoke to the manager for about 10 minutes and she called me about 2 hours later to schedule an interview.

The interview wasn't bad. The manager that I spoke to didn't actually do the interview, one of the assistant managers did. She asked about my experience with retail (I didn't have any at the time), and then about my sales experience. She was very keen on the company values, which I had researched before the interview so I was prepared. She was impressed by how prepared I was. I got the job offer about a week later.

The job is all right. I haven't worked retail before but I feel like I do more work than the average retail worker. Pay is really good for retail (I started at 9.50/hour). Work environment is cool and the other employees are cool too.

Interview Questions
    • No really surprising questions. Just make sure you know about the company and their values.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H&M.

Initially was supposed to go in for a group interview but it wasn't for another hour so the manager decided to interview me one on one instead. First, I had to fill out a paper asking where I lived, my social, and phone number. Then I was called into a small office and asked me basic questions. After she told me that she had to fax out my application and I should receive a call in about 5 or 6 days telling me if I should go in for another interview. She said it would a total of 3 interviews. The manager was very polite, and so were the rest of the employees. They were all very nice.