H&M Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.5

Part Time Sales Advisor Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at H&M in December 2013.

I got this interview through a job agency. I met them at a job fair for another company I was interviewing for. They were screening people for the company. If you didn't pass the screening you didn't get to go on and interview with the actual hiring managers. I passed the screening and was asked if I was also interested in being interviewed for H&M. I of course said yes and set up the interview. Anyway I arrived at the interview and it ended up being a group interview with over 10 other people. They of course went around the room and asked us to introduce ourselves. They also asked us basic customer service/retail questions. There was only one question that threw me off guard, "Who is your favorite character from Disney". That was the first question. I thought it was so silly. Anyway, everyone got a chance to speak. I was very nervous considering this was my first time interviewing with this many people but it wasn't so bad.

We were then told to give them our information so they can run a background check and had to hand in a copy of our resume. Since all of us got this interview through the job agency from another job fair, we all had to also submit a formal application online. They took notes throughout the interview and said they would use their notes to determine if we were qualified or not. If they did they'd pull from the online applications that we had to submit and give us a call.

H&M Visual Merchandiser Interview

I applied online – interviewed at H&M.

Online application, interview with store manager and interview with District Visual Manager. Pulled looks for various hypothetical situations and was asked to come up with a list of possible corrections for merchandising issues in store.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Hartford, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Hartford, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at H&M in November 2013.

I applied to H&M online, and they ended up calling me maybe 3 weeks later confirming that I was interested in the position, and we had the interview the next day. I went in and the manager who was supposed to interview went home sick so I was interview by another team member, who was extremely nice. He asked me about my previous work experience and how it would translate to this job, asked me about my availability,and then questions like "Why do you want to work at H&M?" "What is it specifically that you like about the store" "Where would you see yourself in H&M in the future (he named off various positions that might be available to employees climbing up the career ladder at H&M), and then he told me I would be contacted within 2-3 weeks for a 2nd interview. 2 1/2 weeks later I got a interview with a manager who asked me to describe myself, and repeated some questions as the first interviewer did. She told me about how she became involved at H&M, as did the first interviewer. She then was asking me to explain my previous job and (since I had no retail experience) she explained to me that at H&M it isn't exactly essential that you have retail experience because they do things differently than other stores. She then told me I was hired and made me sign paperwork and gave me a time and day to start. Though it took a few weeks, the overall experience was extremely positive.

Interview Questions
    • My first interview showed me three sets of values and you had to say what applied most to the work you did at your previous job.It wasn't necessarily difficult, but it was probably the most in depth question asked.   Answer Question

Sales Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&M.

Applied in store. About a week later received a call in which a manager gave me a phone interview. She explained what I would be doing if I got hired. She then set up an in person interview date. I went to the interview was interviewed by two managers. The questions were easy. I was then called in for a second in person interview and they told me I was hired I signed paper work and was scheduled for orientation.

Interview Questions
    They told me they start you off with 10 but with experience it's possible to negotiate.

PT Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&M in October 2013.

I applied to the company online for a new store that I knew was opening soon because I live directly around the corner from it. I got a call from the store manager of the new location a few days later and we did a phone interview. That went well, and she invited me to a different store location since we didn't have a home store yet to do my first face-to-face interview. When I went for that interview, it was with the same store manager I had my phone interview with and also a supervisor. That also went pretty well and they had me fill out paperwork and a consent form for them to perform a background check. I was told that when my results came back, I would be given a phone call. About a week later, I received another call from the store manager saying my results came back "Green" which meant I passed, and she then set up a time for my third and final interview, which would be with two different managers. I went in for that interview and it was basically them explaining the values of H&M to me and the expectations of the job. After they finished, they offered me a part time permanent position and I accepted. After this they went into more detail about the job and set up a time for my orientation.

Interview Questions
    They offered me much more than I had ever made at any job prior, so I felt no reason to negotiate.

Part Time Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&M in October 2013.

Filled out application online and received a phone interview the next day. After phone interview I got called in for an interview with two managers. A week after my I store interview I got called back in and they made me an offer that was better than what I asked for so I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty basic...nothing difficult or out of the norm   Answer Question
    They gave an offer based on my experience which was more than I asked for so there wasn't a need to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Marsh, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Marsh, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H&M in September 2013.

i applied online and got a call for a phone interview the week afterwards.i got asked a few questions about why i applied and such and was then invited for an in person interview. i interviewed with one of the managers and she was very friendly. she introduced herself and how she moved up in the company. then proceeded to ask me a series of basic interview questions, my availability, etc. it felt more like a conversation to an extent than an actual interview so about 10 mins in i felt really comfortable. the interview lasted 30 mins and was given a definite time frame of when i would expect an answer, which was between 3-7 days due to the background check. i was invited for a second interview 2 days after. i was supposed to interview with a dept manager but schedues were changed last minute so i interviewed with anothe rmanager and a dept supervisor. i was asked a few of the questions i was in the first interview. then i was asked to walk the floor and see if there was anything wrong that i saw or what i saw needed improvement. after that i told them what i saw needed improvement and i was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • i got asked general interview questions (i.e why did i apply? name a time when i had a good/bad customer experience and how i handled it) the one question that threw me for a curve ball was when i was asked about the worst boss i ever had.   View Answer
    it wasnt much of an negotiation, they offered i accepted.

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at H&M in September 2013.

I applied online and got a call a week later for an impromptu phone interview, they asked me a few basic questions like why h&m and at the end of the conversation we set up and interview in person for the following week. I arrived early and waited for awhile and eventually the manager came a got me she asked me the same questions as on the phone interview. Plus questions like what would I do in certain situations. At the end I was asked to consent to a background check and I did. About a week later I was called in for a second in person interview where I met with two other managers and the again asked the same question and it lasted like 5 minutes which has made me a little nervous. I was told I would hear back either way and the position would start by a certain day. That date is about a week away and I have yet to hear anything, it's been about two weeks since the second interview. I called to check the status last week and the manager I asked for was not in and after they asked would I like to leave a message the person didn't ask for my number.

Interview Questions
    • What would be my short comings working in a retail positiion?   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at H&M in August 2013.

I applied online the last week of July for Store Manager Position, and was called 3 weeks later for another Management Opportunity. It was for an upcoming brand new H&M store Opening in the Fall. We went through a phone interview with the Store Manager for that location. Originally scheduled for 20 minutes turned into an 1 Phone Interview. It went Great! I was put on a brief hold and was then asked to come in for an in person interview with herself and another SM. The in person interview went Amazing, one of the best interviews I've ever gone on. The SM for the new store was asking me questions while the other listened and took notes, they shared information about themselves and their length with the company and growth. The questions were how would you motivate your team, leadership style, numbers from your current employer, and payroll questions. It went for 2 hours, very calm, relaxing engaging, also want to know what do you like to do outside of work for fun at the end I was asked to fill out a Background Check Form. They noted they would call me by Friday, if they were interested as they had other candidates to interview as well. Friday came, and I received a call! The SM who will be in the new location asked me to go in for One Last Interview with herself and the District LP Manager the following week. I went and sat with her and the District LP Manager, and another great interview! Very formal relaxed, shared his knowledge about the company and where they want to be in the upcoming years. He asked me a serious how do I coach my staff, what motivates me to achieve success, and instead of asking the infamous "Why H&M" he asked "What would be my expectations from H&M if I decided my career path with them and my Short and Long Term goals in my career if it was with H&M. At the end of the last question he as well as the SM surprised me with How much your looking for in salary, because they checked my references and wanted to go forward and make you an offer today! :) I was shocked, surprised and excited.

Interview Questions
    • No Difficult Questions. If you are a passionate leader, and have goals for yourself and team all questions would be natural. The only unexpected surprise is when they made me my offer on the spot!   Answer Question
    They asked what is my current salary, if I had to have a range what number would it be hourly wise and then salary wise. They stepped out for about 3 minutes and gave me more than what I asked for! The honesty was the best part as H&M believe in their people, they usually don't want to max you out so when you do get promoted you get the best amount your worth. Being that it was more than I asked for, in which I thought I asked for more than fare, proves the honesty and integrity behind them.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&M.

There was a total of 3 interviews; phone, main manager and for some odd reason I was called back again to interview with another manager. I accepted the job the pay was well

No negotiations