H&M Part Time Sales Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014

2.3

61 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at H&M.

I applied online and received a call about a month later. The hiring manager asked a few basic questions over the phone such as previous work experience, why I want to work at h&m, and how did I know they were hiring. She then asked if I was available for an interview for Friday (today). So I had my face to face interview today and was asked to fill out a background check form and asked a few simple questions. It was a pretty laid back interview, not too intense. She told me I should hear back in about a week and a half after the background check goes through. So hopefully it went well and I get the job!

Other Interview Reviews for H&M

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at H&M.

Went to a job fair! basic questions like tell me a time you went above and beyond for a costumer. Tell me a bad experience you had a job. AVAILABILITY is IMPORTANT.

Interview Questions

Did not want a seasonal job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&M.

I applied online and got a call a week later and they asked me normal questions (availability, why I want to work here, etc) Then went for an interview a few days alter they asked the same thing, filled out background check application. Then they didn't call back so I called after 2 weeks and the Hr manager wasn't there so then she called me the next week. I got the another interview then he told me I was hired

Interview Questions
    • No difficult. Easy questions. Why H&M?   View Answer
    They asked in interview I had no experience so I said $8.50-9 but they gave me $10.50.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at H&M in September 2014.

I went in asked if they were hiring although I applied online it's better if you go in after. They asked if I had a printed copy of my resume, I did, in the front of the store they asked me two simple questions, why H&M? And what is good customer service? Simple enough. Then I shook their hand and went on my merry way but they called me within 5 minutes and asked me to come back for an interview. They took me to the back had me fill out a paper and then asked me more questions. Nothing hard. A time where you used team work? What kind of vibe did u get from h and m when u first went in? How much do you expect to be paid? What do you expect working as a sales advisor as far as the work goes? And a few other I forgot,
    Nothing hard or unexpected . Good luck

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&M in September 2014.

I applied online for a position at an H&M which will soon open at my local mall. I found the online application very easy and straightforward. I was then emailed about 5 days later an invitation to an Open House, where I was to be interviewed.

The invitation said to dress casual and to show case your personal style. I wore a nice blazer, a casual tee from H&M, a nice necklace from H&M, black Harem pants and flats. I can say everyone at that open house had very different style.

I was nervous for the interview given I had only been to a handful of interviews before, but I read as much as I could about the company on their website so as to be as best prepared as possible. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is going to interview at H&M because many of the questions they asked me in the interview related back to what I found on the company website.

At the open house, I came in, registered, and waited in line behind about 7 other people waiting to be interviewed. I was called about 20 min. later. I first interviewed with a hiring manager. She was very nice and laid back. She began the interview telling me about herself and then she asked me questions like, "Tell me about yourself", "What experience do you have in retail", "Why do you want to want to work with H&M", "What's your availability?", "What do you expect from H&M?", "Are you willing to work weekends?", "What is your expected wage?" and finally she asked if I had any questions for her. I asked her what she enjoyed most about her job. (I think it's a good idea to have a question or two in mind to ask your interviewer in case they give you the opportunity to ask questions).

She then asked me if I had time to interview with another manager and I said yes. I waited about 10 min. and then interviewed with a Store Manager. She asked me pretty much the same questions the Hiring Manager did, along with a couple others. I felt kinda redundant repeating myself but they're looking for consistency so keep your answers consistent. She also asked me questions like: "Tell me about a time you gave great customer service?", questions regarding my last position in retail, "In your, previous retail work, how did you raise sales?", "What does it mean to you to be straightforward?", and "What does "We believe in people mean to you?" These last two questions relate to H&M's values, so like I said study their website!

After the interviews the Store Manager told me that they would notify me within 2 weeks if I got the job.

About a week after that, I received a call inviting me to another interview.

At that "interview", I was offered the position. She only asked me a couple questions to refresh her memory about which of the applicants I was. She asked me to explain my retail experience. Then she told me she'd like to offer me the position. She then took out a folder and began to explain to me everything inside it (code of conduct, training process, benefits, etc). She gave me my orientation date, place and time and that was about it. Overall took about 15 minutes.

My interview tips would be for you to be yourself! Be positive and upbeat! Try to incorporate stuff from their website into your answers. For example, when they asked me "Why to you what to work for H&M", I answered something like, "I want to work for H&M because I share many of their values such as respect for all people and the environment. I really love their approach to sustainable fashion, because often as consumers we aren't aware of the environmental impacts our clothes have plus H&M is quality clothing at affordable prices and that's something that really sets it apart from other sustainable clothing lines."

I'm someone that really likes to be around people, likes helping people and has an entrepreneurial spirit and I really tried showcasing that in my interview. I was worried about not getting the job because I only had about 8 months of previous work and that had been about 2 years ago! But I mentioned to them that for about 10 years now (since age 14) I had run my own stall at a local market during the summers, so I'm assuming that helped my case.

Interview Questions
    • What does "We believe in people mean to you?"   View Answer
    I put on my application I was willing to work for minimum wage at the actually ended up giving me a hire wage without me negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&M in July 2014.

This is a detailed review on my interview experience with H&M. I hope this helps someone out there looking to apply with H&M as I strongly encourage you do so after my interview process and a brief introduction into the company. There seems to be a lot of growth and opportunities provided if you work hard enough and show your interest.

I applied recently on June 21, 2014.

Phone Interview and The Interview Process -
    There was a phone interview before receiving an invitation to come in for a first interview. I applied online before this whole process (of course). And you must be at least 18 so I applied practically after my 18th birthday. The first interview was between the store director who I spoke with on the phone and a supervisor who was there to take notes and observe. I wore something semi-formal to feel comfortable, but to look put together. They emphasize on individualism and creativity; so don't be afraid to really show them your true personality and of course style. Also, there isn't a strict dress code so that's a major plus and you are allowed to have piercings and tattoos, but as an employee its always best to look presentable and not like you rolled out of bed straight to work. Back to the interview. The first interview lasted 15 minutes which was pretty short considering I arrived early (15 minutes) and was called in at the time the interview was supposed to be held and then was asked nearly the same questions on the phone. So I again felt repetitive but now they could put my face to my answers and probably noticed the consistency in my responses because honesty is key.
    After my interview I went to hang out around the area and received a call 2-3 hours after the interview to schedule the second interview. Since it was fourth of July weekend I already had prior engagements to be out of town and they decided to do the second interview the next day which I was more than happy to get it out of the way and it made me more excited to speak to the store manager and it was one step closer to a job.
    The second interview was practically similar to the first. I felt like I was just as comfortable and was asked yet again the same questions and surprisingly was not thrown any hard balls. I felt like I made a good impression on the store manager and I was complemented on a couple of my responses as I made sure I mentioned how excited I was to be working here and I liked to stay organize and eventually dabble in Visual Merchandising if I stayed with the company. She liked my responses and told me after another 15 minute interview that she'd call me after Monday or Tuesday once she spoke with the two other managers who interviewed me.

Job Offer -
    I wasn't called back on Monday which started to make me doubt on getting the job and I made sure I called Tuesday to make sure I didn't let the job slip away and I wanted to be as fresh in their mind as possible. And as promised the store manager knew she was supposed to respond back to me but she put me on hold again and I received a call from the store director asking me to come in on July 10th for a job offer! So the whole process took about two weeks to actually get a job with them, which I was really fortunate on not be put on hold as I read some people dont hear back for weeks or months. Its smart to be consistent and a bit aggressive to show your interest and your passion for which ever position you may be going for. I filled out all the paper work on the 10th and signed on how much I would be paid and was told when training and my official employment would begin. I start the 22nd of July and training was said to last for two weeks.

Pay & Other Benefits -
    The pay was definitely above minimum for my area. Minimum being $9. And I was unaware of the exact pay until the day I came in to sign my contract. I was actually planning on negotiating pay because of my previous work experience and my 'skill level' which I dont know if that matters or not when negotiating but after further research the glassdoor estimation for pay is pretty accurate. It was above what I was going to ask for which pleased me and I did not need to argue, Also they do pay for overtime which my last job did not, but apparently its very rare there. I was not explained discounts or any of the benefits that came with the job probably because I'm part time for now and it might be explained while training, but I looked up discounts out of curiosity and saw it was 25% which is pretty good I guess, and with benefits and higher than average pay there can't be much to complain about.

* I'm sorry for how long this was and how I went off topic a lot, but I was as detailed as possible on my personal experience and I hope this eases some minds for people who want to be a part of the H&M team.. I know I have some friends who don't actually enjoy H&M but I think they're a pretty great company and place to be working.

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate because the pay was much higher than expected.

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&M.

I applied online, which also included like a 30 minute test that included stuff such as math problems. I got a phone call a couple of days later for a phone screening, at the end of it they set up a time for me to to an in person interview. After that I went in and interviewed, filled out a background check, and was called back a week later for my final interview. At the final interview I was offered the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

I applied online – interviewed at H&M in August 2014.

3 months ago i applied at H&M for the fifth time in 2 years. Out of no where I was listening to my voice mail and one of the managers called me to do a phone screening. After I did the screening a week after I got called for a face to face interview. They did a background check and after that I got told I was going to get a call the next week to see if they were interested on me. I went to my 2nd interview the next week and a different manager with the DM asked me questions and after that they told me they were going to let me know if I got the last and final interview in 3 days. They called me back and told me to go in for a 3rd interview and basically they offered me the position.

They didn't negotiate with just told me if I wanted to accept or decline.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&M in July 2014.

I applied online which had a questionnaire, and I was called within a couple of weeks to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview just had a few questions like why I chose H&M. I was asked for a brief description of my work history.and was informed about what the job consisted of. Then I was scheduled to come in for a formal interview the following week. The formal interview I was asked to talk a little about myself, my work history, what I loved and least liked about certain positions etc. Then I was called 2-3 days later asking if I could come in for a follow up and when I showed up I was told I had the job and went over my pay and signed a few papers. It was a great and fast process compared to most I have been through. I felt very comfortable talking to the two managers, I felt like I could be myself and they didn't take forever getting back with me which I very much appreciated. Also they aren't expecting you to dress in a 3 piece suit for interviews. They want you to dress your style and personality. They are all about individuality.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about their core values and what some of them mean to me.   Answer Question
    I asked for less thinking it was going to be minimum wage like most retail chains but they offered me over a dollar more than what I asked and it was more than what I made at the job I had with a respectable company for the last 3 years. It was well above minimum wage.

Part-time Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at H&M in July 2014.

I applied online around the end of June. I received an initial call back about a week or so later. The initial interview consisted of basic questions such as previous experience, availability, things like that. I was invited to a second interview at a nearby hotel with the district manager of the new H&M. I thought things had gone pretty well since they were going to run a background check and gave me papers about their benefits. I didn't hear anything back for a few weeks. I reached out to corporate and they told me that sometimes it may take a few weeks for managers to get back. More weeks passed until I found myself in an H&M. I spoke with an associate & spoke with a manager who said she would contact me. I wasn't surprised that I didn't get it since it'd been so long but it would've been nice to not have been let out in the cold for weeks. :/