H&R Block

Average Difficulty
20 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Lithonia, GA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at H&R Block in January 2014.

Interview Details – Usually you'll interview in the office you'll work in. The interviewer will be the office manager. They'll tell you how they run their office and what a CSP actually does in their office. There are a few general questions asked. They are mostly concerned with your customer resolution and retention skills.

Interview Question – How do you handle a disguntle customer as well as a impatient tax preparer both needing your attention at the same time?   View Answer

Boston, MA

I applied online - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2013.

Interview Details – Too lengthy for seasonal position, on line application and survey took 45 minutes.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions. All related to customer service, team work, work habits and personality traits.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did negotiate, but understand not typical. Local manager was primary reason for small increase in pay scale.

Client Service Professional

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and completed a web questionnaire with typical questions (i.e. "I like to work in groups - Strongly Agree, Agree, Neutral, Disagree, Strongly Disagree") Received a phone call to schedule a face-to-face interview at the training office. She was a wonderfully nice lady who asked important questions that give you insight on the type of job you will be doing. She told me right away that she would like to extend an offer for employment and what the pay would be like, and I signed all my employment documents (I-9, etc) within the next week.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you have to manage group.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Little negotiation. They offered me more than minimum wage, and I was happy with that.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wayne, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and took a tricky assessment. I did really well on that, and a few days later, I received a phone call from a recruiter. She did a lengthy phone interview with very specific questions about customer service, multitasking, and organization skills. After the interview, I received another phone call scheduling my orientation and training at a different H&R Block from the one I applied to. After three days of paid training, I reported to the location I applied to and began working.

Interview Question – I forgot, it was like three years ago. But all of the questions were focused on customer service, multitasking abilities, and your organizational skills.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was offered $9 an hour in 2011 in an offer letter sent to my e-mail.

Jackson, MS

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at H&R Block in November 2011.

Interview Details – 1-applied for position online
2-called in for face to face interview
3 asked typical interview questions (why do I want to work her and what can I bring to the company)
4- Role play as if I was the Customer and as if I was the employee
5-Get called back for training session (2 Saturdays)
6- Do walk through of typical day

Negotiation Details – Hourly pay is set. No negotiations

Mobile, AL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2012.

Interview Details – Very Friendly; They like you to have some experience with appointment setting, banking and customer service

Interview Question – Role playing on how I would answer the phone; The interviewer pretended to be a customer that was complaining and wanted to know if she could have all the prices of H&R Blocks' services. Without knowing how much they charged myself, I had to make up the services and prices.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Initially, after I applied online, they sent an email back saying that I had to go to a site to set up my own interview. it was a pain because there was never any interviews available at the office that I apllied for. I had to send Human Resources multiple emails asking how to get an interview set up. After a 2 months of checking the site they told me to go to to set up the interview, they sent me an email back saying that all the positions had been filled. This wasn't true because within 2 weeks after that, I received a phone call from the local office to schedule the interview. Keep after them to get an interview. Also, they were interviewing a lot of us at the same time, so you had to wait to be called.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at H&R Block in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was one of the lucky ones. I guess they needed a Spanish speaker right away since the office was located in predominantly Latino community. I applied online and received an email from a district manager to see if I was interested in a job so we could set up an interview. I said yes but no interview actually happened. Either they were desperate or my resume was pretty decent that they trusted my abilities. She pushed my application forward and went through the application process which was all done online and through the phone. Then I received a call from the office manager and she told me when to show up for my first day and that was it. I think there is a formal training we have to go through but I was informally trained on the spot on my first day. It is a pretty easy job so I don't think it's necessary.

Interview Question – When can you work?   View Answer

Client Services Professional Interview

Client Services Professional
Fresno, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2012.

Interview Details – - seasonal position
- why do you want to work here?
- explain a situation where you and a coworker had a disagreement and how you solved it?
- how you handled a bad customer?
- have you ever worked in taxes before?

Interview Question – surprised me   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation
-$10/HR

Bronx, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in January 2013.

Interview Details – Easy interview. Let them know if you are a student and be confident. You will work with all kinds of people therefore; you must be a people person! At the interview, your interviewer will ask you what locations you will like to work at. Just let them know your availability and take your job seriously by being properly dressed.

Interview Question – No difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, take it or leave it.

Client Services Professional Interview

Client Services Professional
Port Saint Lucie, FL

I applied online - interviewed at H&R Block in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online after hearing from an employee that they were hiring. About a week later I was emailed to schedule an interview online. The only options were an hour drive away and in about two weeks time. The employee I had heard about the position from told me they were also doing interviews at the local office so I walked in for an interview that day without an appointment. It was a mass hiring event for the tax season. Interview lasted about 15-20mins was very quick with standard questions. About two weeks later I got a rejection email.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you went above and beyond to help a coworker.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at H&R Block

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at H&R Block Client Service Professional interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by H&R Block employees and interview candidates.