H&R Block Client Services Professional and Receptionist Interview Questions

1.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emerson, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at H&R Block (Emerson, NJ) in January 2015.

Interview

I stopped into an office, asked to speak to the manager. She was not there at the time, but I left my contact information and we did set up an interview for the following Sunday.

Interview Questions

• I asked if I could test out (show my knowledge) for a First Year Tax Professional and she told me no. I declined the offer because I felt the salary was too low. I asked if they could offer more - the answer was no. The hours were very flexible - i.e. any hours the office was open were available (P/T and F/T)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for H&R Block

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at H&R Block (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2014.

Interview

The test that they give is ridiculous it takes like an hour to do and you can't leave for a second. Then they call you for interview and they like you they hire you always short staffed.

Interview Questions

• Mainly in the application the questions about the drawers I had to read a few times to understand. They also ask alot of the same questions multiple times in different ways.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fullerton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at H&R Block (Fullerton, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online and got a call 5-6 days later for an interview in Fullerton. I was brought in and had to wait a few minutes for my interviewer who was very nice. She asked a few questions about my customer service experience and how I handle projects then explained what the job would be like. I was then asked what office I could work, about my availability, and told when training was. Training is 3 days and 3 hours each day. They were very nice.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult. Ask about how to deal with an irate customer or if you've ever had to deal with one. Just be positive, smile, and don't be nervous. Also asked what my major in college was and what I want to do after college.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation since I have no experience. Pay is $8 /hr and I'm working part time.

Anonymous Employee in Brook Park, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at H&R Block (Brook Park, OH) in January 2013.

Interview

Hiring and Interview process was relatively simple: I filled out an online application and received an email invite to come to a district office to interview. The interview was brief and mostly focused on prior customer service/retail experience. After the interview, I was immediately offered the position and was registered for a training session two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Describe your approach to customer service- what are two or three things you strive for when you are assisting a client?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at H&R Block (Roseville, MN) in December 2012.

Interview

I received an automated email inviting me to interview chose from a list of times. The office had a very strong smoke odor. The interview was short and I was very disappointed by the low pay of $8.50/hr. They don't openly tell you much about the job, so come prepared with questions. I'm glad I read this site first so I was prepared for the low pay. Even though it's temporary they are paying experienced people a wage for a 16 year old. My son makes more than this at a local grocery store. Only take this job if you have no other prospects because it's unlikely you will make much money here because they may only schedule you 4 hours week. They also expect you to travel to more than one office locally which is an added drawback for this job.

Interview Questions

• The usual questions, why do you want to work here, what would you do in a specific senerio.   Answer Question

Low pay, the mall pays better! The only way they'd increase the pay is if I spoke Spanish. No guarantee of hours, could be scheduled as little as 4 hours week. I had to ask about this because they don't willing tell you the position even though temporary can also be very few hours which would not be worth it for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stafford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at H&R Block (Stafford, CT) in December 2012.

Interview

I answered an ad on Craigslist for the position and applied via e-mail, the office manager was quick to get back to me. The interview was in the office pre-season, so it was empty. This was less of an interview and more of a run-down of requirements. She constantly reminded me that the job was temporary, and did not seem impressed with my customer service experience or education. When the time came for me to ask questions, I had asked about client volume, which was answered with a scoff. The interviewer did not believe that to be a valid question and responded with "900 clients during the whole season, you do the math". During the interview (and in my subsequent rejection e-mail sent out Christmas Eve (ouch))she was disappointed in my lack of tax experience, but in no way made it clear in the posting that it was required or desired. She did not think of the receptionist position as entry-level.

Interview Questions

• What made you answer an ad on Craigslist for a job, when you know full well that it was a temporary one?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at H&R Block (Providence, RI) in December 2011.

Interview

I applied for the position in October. I received an email in December asking if I would come in the next day for an interview which was a Saturday afternoon. I then met with the office manager who was very pleasant. She asked me about my background and what type of work I was looking for either part time or full time. She then let me know the position is indeed part time but during peek time it is possible to make full time hours. She asked me to describe some scenarios that I had encountered in the past. After our interview was complete she told me she would contact me and let me know when training begins and I actually start today.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a Co-worker?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time where you were faced with an angry customer and what did you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at H&R Block (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2010.

Interview

Was asked basic questions on how to treat customers and handle problems that may arise. It was about 15 minutes.

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at H&R Block (Sacramento, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

The interview was preety easy for a group/panel interview. I felt relaxed and answered shortly but got to the point. The ladies that interviewed us were very niece people, friendly and this really helped us to be less nervous or stressed about the questions. The questions were preety basic and easy. After a week I went to my second interview with the office manager where I chose to work and it was a little bit difficult but not impossible and I did my best and after a couple of days I got a phone call from the manager, telling me that I was hired for the position, thing that made me so happy. So my advice for everybody who will attend an interview is not to be afraid or too stressed because it's not too bad like it seems and the recruiters are human beings like us so try to relax and be professional, smile and have a positive attitude. Good luck for everybody!

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years from now?   2 Answers
    • Why should I hire you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No I did not negociate anything.

Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, AR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at H&R Block (Fayetteville, AR) in January 2008.

Interview

I initial applied online and then visited the main office location in Fayetteville to follow-up on the position. At that point, I was schedule for an interview. The interview was a very short one-on-one discussion with the branch manager. She informed me of the jobs duties, pay and duration (temporary) and then asked me a couple basic questions before offering me the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.