H&R Block

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Professional

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is really computer centered and is carried out through the home office online. Once you put in for a position, you will be contacted by HR via email to take an online personality test. This test can take up to an hour. If you pass this personality test then a back ground test if conducted by the company. Once the background test is completed and the personality test is passed, you will receive notification via email as to whether on not you qualify for the position. You are then emailed an offer letter with the rate of pay. You will then receive an email instructing you to come to a District meeting where you will go through an orientation process that will last approximately a week.

Negotiation Details – The pay rate was not negotiable. It was straight forward $9 per hour offer. Take it or leave it.

Silver Spring, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2010.

Interview Details – I was completely satisfied with the job interviewing procedure for this company. The testing and interview was done at the same time. I found this to be very considerate of the person being interviewed. The person conducting the interview describes the duties and what is expected. T

Interview Question – I don't recall a difficult or unexpected question   Answer Question

Lansing, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2013.

Interview Details – I filled out the application online and received a call within a few weeks for a face-to-face interview. People were very nice, asked questions like what can you bring to our table to get us more customers, describe a time you helped out your coworkers, describe a time you had a difficult boss. Pretty basic questions. They asked my availability and described how the training would go and when it would start. Not a very stressful interview.

Interview Question – None really difficult, if you have been to a few interviews, you have heard them before.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they do not need to hire people with experience.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2010.

Interview Details – A friend of a friend called me to let me know that they had openings for a receptionist position with H&R Block. She bought home my application, and gave it to her friend, who actually already works at H&R Block as a District Operations Coordinator. A few weeks later, I got called into an interview at the large office in Mission and Geneva (they do interviews at offices that are close to you). I dressed up professional, and I was greeted by the District Supervisor. We had the interview in his office, which was well-lit with no windows. He basically asked me questions about my experience, and asked me to explain how I handle stressful work situations. By being polite and smiling, and answering to the best of my ability, the interview lasted about 15-20 minutes, and I felt good about it, because we had a nice non-work related conversation on the way out of the office. Two weeks later, I was asked to come into the office I chose to work in, and was immediately given the list of duties and responsibilities of what was required for the job, by the Office Manager. Then I was asked to fill out some paper work, and to do online courses about tax laws, and how to handle customers. Little did I know, that was my first work day.

Interview Question – What major challenges and problems did you face? How did you handle them?   Answer Question

Customer Service Professional

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview Details – They start hiring in December and give you training the last week of the year or first week in the new year for tax season. The hiring process after the interview is a series of emails, background testing etc., if your information doesn't come before testing it's hard to get paid for training because they dont accept your I-9 information until after the background check. I had my training in December and didn't get paid until the last week in Feburary.

Interview Question – Easy interview if you don't have alot of experience this is the place for you. The pay is so low, high turn over rate each year and you can get unemployment after tax season. Be sure to smile at the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, you are told of the rate. Peak season is fast and busy try to get as much hours as possible after that they cut your hours.

Cincinnati, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at H&R Block in September 2008.

Interview Details – The initial hiring process was a fiasco. The person who I was suppose to interview with never made it to the interview, so I was interviewed by a field office manager. I found out I was hired by receiving a phone call telling me when to start classes. There was no salary discussion, no requirements discussion, no anything.

Interview Question – My age..   View Answers (2)

Milwaukee, WI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at H&R Block in November 2010.

Interview Details – It was great. Everything was explained clearly and well put.

Negotiation Details – Yes. Just be your self, and everything will come natural.

Interviewed at H&R Block

Interview Details – Submitted the application and got a call back in a week to do an interview. Did a basic computer test and then went to the back for an interview.

Interview Question – They were basic questions that were asked   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The only negotiation was where I wanted to work

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!