H&R Block

Updated Nov 11, 2014

2.3

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in October 2014.

I applied online and was contacted about a month after applying. The interview was fairly easy and laid back. The questions are pretty standard: about working in stressful situations and role playing. After the interview, I was told I might be hard depending on passing the class, which I wasn't signed up for.

Interview Questions
  • How will you interview clients to get the information that you want?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for H&R Block

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2013.

After you pass the Income Tax Course, you have the opportunity to interview for seasonal work. You complete the online application, and then are assigned an interview date to meet with the office manager of the location you requested.

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at H&R Block.

In order to be considered for an interview, you had to score an 80% (I think it was, might have been higher) or better in the Basic Tax Course, or have the knowledge to pass the exam. Then there was a lengthy personality test. If both of those were approved, then you pretty much got an interview. Note, there were only a few positions to be filled in the whole district and about 20 people passed the class, so still many were turned down. And, it was like a seven touch process, so you had be in constant contact to follow through.

Interview Questions
    It's just a set hourly rate for first years. That is made very clear. But, you can usually work as many hours as you want, so that's how you can get the most money.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in November 2012.

I took the income tax course and applied online. I then got an email to take an assessment. Two days later I got an email to sign up for an interview time. The interview was at the district office. The interviewer was very courteous and polite. It was a serious interview with a lot of questions being about how I would handle a difficult situation or an emotional client.

Interview Questions
    • If a client becomes emotional, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H&R Block in November 2012.

The interview took place at the district office. The two interviewers were very courteous and professional. The questions focused on qualifications, performance in the H&R Block Income Tax Course and general work experience. Language skills are valued, especially Spanish. Many Block locations offer bi-lingual services.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers asked if I would be content with a position that is only seasonal.   View Answer
    The salary is fixed. I was offered a choice of location. The process was very agreeable. There were no surprises, as I had researched the company quite a bit prior to the offer and learned a lot about it in the income tax course.

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in October 2012.

Process was fairly straightforward. After passing the tax class you apply online for positions in an area you desire. You receive an email to register for an appointment time for an interview. The interviews are with two store managers and last about 15 minutes. During that interview you're asked to pick 2-3 stores you'd like to work in and about your availability. Next step after this was to be contacted via email and offered a position and contract for the season.

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through other source – interviewed at H&R Block in November 2011.

Almost everyone who completed class and passed 5 hour state exam was hired. They needed more last year than this upcoming year. District Manager visited tax class the first day to give us details about how things would work if you were interested in employment with the company. Instructors continually reminded us of what we needed to do if we were pursuing employment.Position was applied for online and a "happy" test was also taken as part of application process. Once position applied for online, Kansas City called to schedule interview with District Manager. District Manager was very laid back and welcoming. He asked more get to know the type of person you are questions and threw one of corporates required questions in. Kansas City followed up interview with phone call to offer job and salary. Communication was excellent to keep us informed about process. I wish all job interviews were that easy

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a specific time during your past work experience when you were put in a difficult situation and how you resolved the situation.   View Answer
    There is no negotiating first year wages, even though I had prior tax experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2010.

Once successfully passing the basic course, I was directed to apply online. I was then called for an interview with the district manager. The interview was basically an introduction to what my duties would be.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. I would advise others to take the position to be able to gain the necessary skills and experience to either move up within the company or to move on to other companies.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in October 2010.

Complete an on-line application and an e-mail response with your interview date, time, and place. The interview was scheduled for 30 mintues with 4-5 interviewers (Office Managers and District Manager) and 3 applicants. Each applicant received 1 question from each interviewer and it may be a repeat question. The questions were situational, like (1) Have you ever had a communication problem? if so, how did you solve it?.

Interview Questions
    The offer was a non-negotiable hourly rate of $8.00 per hour. You are able to negotiate after the first year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Vernon, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Vernon, WA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at H&R Block in November 2009.

I first completed the H&R Block Tax Basics course. It is an 11 week course designed to introduce anyone to the tax preparation process. At the end, dependent on a passing score on the final, I was called in to interview. The interview was very easy as the manager already knew much about me and my knowledge and skills. She asked of my interests and plans for working at the company in the long-term.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how long I planned to remain a tax professional with the company.   Answer Question
    No negotiation as it is a first year entry level position.