H&R Block First Year Tax Professional Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at H&R Block (Des Moines, IA) in December 2014.

Interview

Interview was about 15 min. Asked why do I want to work for HR Block. Give a example of pass experience handling a difficult customer and resolution.
Was hired on the spot contingent to passing my tax class.
The interview was smooth and short, less than I expected.
Had to sign background check and provide SSN and ID for employment.

Interview Questions

• There was no difficult or unexpected question that caught me off guard,   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was told me how much the pay is start out at. I asked if there is room for negotiation and she say no. Everyone first year tax pro start at the same rate. Is this correct???
I think HR Block can afford to pay more than $9.50 a hr. With my experiences and education I can get a job at Costco that pay to start $12-$14. With a big company like HR Block you would think they pay better???

Other Interview Reviews for H&R Block

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

Interview

One way you'll get an interview is by completing the 75 hour H&R Block Income Tax Course.

The course itself cost $200 in October of 2014. Successful completion and passing of the final exam is not a guaranteed job offer... But, it's a necessary requirement for employment.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation for first year tax associates. If you make it through the first year you'll be better off the second year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block (Modesto, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

First I applied online and then about 3 weeks later was called in for a interview. I was interviewed by a panel of two, they took turns asking me questions, as I answered the questions they were taking notes. Then about 2 weeks later was called and offered a job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Biloxi, MS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at H&R Block (Biloxi, MS) in December 2014.

Interview

If you passed the class the interview was just a few questions. Not a lot of worry as to past experience. Focus was on how comfortable you may be with the position at hand and how well the class was given. It was like going through an assembly line and the questions were easy to answer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Capitola, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at H&R Block (Capitola, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Brief interview with District Manager in which he evaluated my experience and class results. Entire interview was about 20 minutes. Pretty sure they hire everybody as based on some of my peers' competencies or lack thereof.

Interview Questions

• Did I feel like the class was difficult   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at H&R Block (Walnut Creek, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I took the tax prep class and was told to complete the application asap to let them know who was interested in working. I never heard from anyone until the 2nd to last week of class and I had an interview in the office with a branch manager. The branch manager had a piece of paper and it appeared she asked me questions off of the list.

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted about a month after applying. The interview was fairly easy and laid back. The questions are pretty standard: about working in stressful situations and role playing. After the interview, I was told I might be hard depending on passing the class, which I wasn't signed up for.

Interview Questions

• How will you interview clients to get the information that you want?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block (Fort Worth, TX) in December 2013.

Interview

After you pass the Income Tax Course, you have the opportunity to interview for seasonal work. You complete the online application, and then are assigned an interview date to meet with the office manager of the location you requested.

Interview Questions

• Are there any scheduling constraints?   1 Answer

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at H&R Block.

Interview

In order to be considered for an interview, you had to score an 80% (I think it was, might have been higher) or better in the Basic Tax Course, or have the knowledge to pass the exam. Then there was a lengthy personality test. If both of those were approved, then you pretty much got an interview. Note, there were only a few positions to be filled in the whole district and about 20 people passed the class, so still many were turned down. And, it was like a seven touch process, so you had be in constant contact to follow through.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It's just a set hourly rate for first years. That is made very clear. But, you can usually work as many hours as you want, so that's how you can get the most money.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

I took the income tax course and applied online. I then got an email to take an assessment. Two days later I got an email to sign up for an interview time. The interview was at the district office. The interviewer was very courteous and polite. It was a serious interview with a lot of questions being about how I would handle a difficult situation or an emotional client.

Interview Questions

• If a client becomes emotional, how would you handle it?   Answer Question