H&R Block

2.2

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

Interview was about 15 min. Asked why do I want to work for HR Block. Give a example of pass experience handling a difficult customer and resolution.
Was hired on the spot contingent to passing my tax class.
The interview was smooth and short, less than I expected.
Had to sign background check and provide SSN and ID for employment.

Interview Questions
  • There was no difficult or unexpected question that caught me off guard,   Answer Question
I was told me how much the pay is start out at. I asked if there is room for negotiation and she say no. Everyone first year tax pro start at the same rate. Is this correct???
I think HR Block can afford to pay more than $9.50 a hr. With my experiences and education I can get a job at Costco that pay to start $12-$14. With a big company like HR Block you would think they pay better???

Other Interview Reviews for H&R Block

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

One way you'll get an interview is by completing the 75 hour H&R Block Income Tax Course.

The course itself cost $200 in October of 2014. Successful completion and passing of the final exam is not a guaranteed job offer... But, it's a necessary requirement for employment.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for first year tax associates. If you make it through the first year you'll be better off the second year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, CA

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

First I applied online and then about 3 weeks later was called in for a interview. I was interviewed by a panel of two, they took turns asking me questions, as I answered the questions they were taking notes. Then about 2 weeks later was called and offered a job.

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in October 2014.

I applied online and was contacted about a month after applying. The interview was fairly easy and laid back. The questions are pretty standard: about working in stressful situations and role playing. After the interview, I was told I might be hard depending on passing the class, which I wasn't signed up for.

Interview Questions
    • How will you interview clients to get the information that you want?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2013.

After you pass the Income Tax Course, you have the opportunity to interview for seasonal work. You complete the online application, and then are assigned an interview date to meet with the office manager of the location you requested.

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at H&R Block.

In order to be considered for an interview, you had to score an 80% (I think it was, might have been higher) or better in the Basic Tax Course, or have the knowledge to pass the exam. Then there was a lengthy personality test. If both of those were approved, then you pretty much got an interview. Note, there were only a few positions to be filled in the whole district and about 20 people passed the class, so still many were turned down. And, it was like a seven touch process, so you had be in constant contact to follow through.

Interview Questions
    It's just a set hourly rate for first years. That is made very clear. But, you can usually work as many hours as you want, so that's how you can get the most money.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in November 2012.

I took the income tax course and applied online. I then got an email to take an assessment. Two days later I got an email to sign up for an interview time. The interview was at the district office. The interviewer was very courteous and polite. It was a serious interview with a lot of questions being about how I would handle a difficult situation or an emotional client.

Interview Questions
    • If a client becomes emotional, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H&R Block in November 2012.

The interview took place at the district office. The two interviewers were very courteous and professional. The questions focused on qualifications, performance in the H&R Block Income Tax Course and general work experience. Language skills are valued, especially Spanish. Many Block locations offer bi-lingual services.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers asked if I would be content with a position that is only seasonal.   View Answer
    The salary is fixed. I was offered a choice of location. The process was very agreeable. There were no surprises, as I had researched the company quite a bit prior to the offer and learned a lot about it in the income tax course.

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in October 2012.

Process was fairly straightforward. After passing the tax class you apply online for positions in an area you desire. You receive an email to register for an appointment time for an interview. The interviews are with two store managers and last about 15 minutes. During that interview you're asked to pick 2-3 stores you'd like to work in and about your availability. Next step after this was to be contacted via email and offered a position and contract for the season.

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through other source – interviewed at H&R Block in November 2011.

Almost everyone who completed class and passed 5 hour state exam was hired. They needed more last year than this upcoming year. District Manager visited tax class the first day to give us details about how things would work if you were interested in employment with the company. Instructors continually reminded us of what we needed to do if we were pursuing employment.Position was applied for online and a "happy" test was also taken as part of application process. Once position applied for online, Kansas City called to schedule interview with District Manager. District Manager was very laid back and welcoming. He asked more get to know the type of person you are questions and threw one of corporates required questions in. Kansas City followed up interview with phone call to offer job and salary. Communication was excellent to keep us informed about process. I wish all job interviews were that easy

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a specific time during your past work experience when you were put in a difficult situation and how you resolved the situation.   View Answer
    There is no negotiating first year wages, even though I had prior tax experience.