H&R Block Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block.

I thought it was a one on one interview. I walk in & there are 20 other people there. I was interviewed by 3 managers at once with 3 other candidates at the same time.

Customer Service Professional Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at H&R Block.

Three office managers sat down three of us and asked us how we would deal with an angry customer. Very brief, basically they just want to know you can interact with people professionally. 10-15 minutes was all it took for the three of us.

In my particular case, there was also a brief questionnaire, as they were also looking to hire Office Marketing Assistants out of the group. They gave us a one-pager with questions like "what is your personal brand". This section is totally separate from getting the CSP job, however.

Interview Questions
    • How have you dealt with an angry customer in the past?   View Answer

Tax Preparer Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview was 30 minutes long. It was a walk-in. Basic interview with education, experience, and skill-related questions. Some situational questions as well. Didn't get an offer because I didn't have the necessary experience despite passing the H&R Block Tax Course.

Client Service Professional Interview

The interview process was quite simple. It was more about getting to know me and how I interact with people. Very little questions about my experience. I was hired on the spot and sent to training on another site.

Office Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at H&R Block.

must attend school then pass with a score of 80 or better,then go for an interview, Go to the main office to have a interview with the District Manger which is just a check to see how you are dressed and how you present yourself

Client Services Professional and Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emerson, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Emerson, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at H&R Block in January 2015.

I stopped into an office, asked to speak to the manager. She was not there at the time, but I left my contact information and we did set up an interview for the following Sunday.

Interview Questions
    • I asked if I could test out (show my knowledge) for a First Year Tax Professional and she told me no.

I declined the offer because I felt the salary was too low. I asked if they could offer more - the answer was no.

The hours were very flexible - i.e. any hours the office was open were available (P/T and F/T)

Answer Question

CSP Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at H&R Block in January 2015.

It was very easy and they were looking to fill the position and felt I was very qualified from the get go. They had called me and asked the obvious questions and made sure that I knew the process and what to do to finish what was required.

CSP Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at H&R Block.

The hiring process was easy and quick. Getting the through the training was easy also. The people during the process were helpful and understanding. The computer process was a bit of a mess, I went through training but did not have a location where I wanted to work, and they put me in an office that was not what I requested; it was also not worth driving all that way for the minimal pay received.

There was no negotiation, they paid what they wanted. Albeit not sufficient for the rising cost of living.

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

Interview was about 15 min. Asked why do I want to work for HR Block. Give a example of pass experience handling a difficult customer and resolution.
    Was hired on the spot contingent to passing my tax class.
    The interview was smooth and short, less than I expected.
    Had to sign background check and provide SSN and ID for employment.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult or unexpected question that caught me off guard,   Answer Question
    I was told me how much the pay is start out at. I asked if there is room for negotiation and she say no. Everyone first year tax pro start at the same rate. Is this correct???
    I think HR Block can afford to pay more than $9.50 a hr. With my experiences and education I can get a job at Costco that pay to start $12-$14. With a big company like HR Block you would think they pay better???

Customer Service Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

Timeline from submitting resume in September till interview was longer than ad detailed. It said interviews were to begin in November, no one I talked to interviewed earlier than December. Interview was pretty simple, they had a printout of specific questions that they asked and jotted down responses. All "on-boarding" was done online and without guidance from a representative of the company. Offer letter was buried in a mountain of virtual paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty run of the mill, nothing to challenging.   Answer Question
    no negotiation, you did not meet with a person about offer or to complete paperwork.