H&R Block Interview Questions

2.2

Marketing Coordinator-seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in September 2014.

2 to 1 interview with 2 managers of Department of Marketing; common questions such as "Did you work as a team member before? Give me an example." "What's your strength and weakness?" Easy and relaxed atmosphere. Very nice interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • When you want to get help from other team members, how will you say to them?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at H&R Block.

I applied online. I got a call about a month later to interview. Most interview questions involved things like "Tell me about yourself," "What made you apply for this position," What experiences have you had that would benefit in this job?" The interview process was relatively short and easy. I ended up getting an offer of a "scholarship" for their tax course to become a Tax Pro which they claimed normally costs $199. (But not completely free as I would have to buy my books for $200). They weren't clear about the odds of getting a job with them or any guarantee of it. I'm still trying to figure out if this is something that would be worth taking or if it is simply a way for H&R Block to make easy money off of people like me. Overall though the two people I spoke with were very nice and I felt good about the interview other than the vague description of Classes that would be "free", oh except $200 for books. That's not really free is it.

Tax Preparer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lawton, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2010.

The H&R Block Tax Preparation Course is the interview. The course instructors are the managers during tax season. Successful course completion is the prerequisite for employment. The course itself covers all aspects of tax preparation for individuals and businesses. It lasts roughly from mid to late September through December. It is divided into manual tax preparation and computerized tax preparation. The course is rigorous. but well organized. Upon completion, preparers have a good foundation for handling tax returns. This foundation is built upon during tax season. Of course, due to the complexity of tax law, some returns inevitably require the assistance of senior tax preparers.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, because the vetting process was the course itself. The main question regarded availability to work flexible hours during tax season.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Pay is based on an hourly base plus a sales volume commission.

Tax Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Waynesville, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waynesville, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at H&R Block.

You are required to the H&R Block tax classes. This is about a two and a half month course that costs between 200-300 hundred dollars. If you pass the class, you are usually offered a position. I did not have a formal interview. The course instructor will have knowledge of your work and social skills, which gets passed to management.

Tax Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2013.

I had to complete a 2 month tax course with a satisfactory score of 70%. The interview was in group form which was my first experience at that. They just asked basic questions such as why I wanted the job and to tell about an experience of how you handled a disgruntled customer.

Tax Professional Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block.

Initial hires must either take the Basic Course and pass with minimum 80% score or have three attempts to pass the Tax Knowledge Assessment exam. Returning employees must reapply every fall, will have an interview with the District Manager covering the previous year's performance and coming season's expectations.

Did not negotiate.

Tax Preparer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in August 2014.

I have not gone through the hiring or interview process yet. Start the class soon. Hoping to get an interview after I finish the class, providing that I do well enough in the class to be considered for hire.

Master Tax Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lyndhurst, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lyndhurst, OH

interviewed at H&R Block in November 2013.

Interview consisted of discussing my education, goals, and what I contribute to H&R Block. Annual
    Education requirements, building a client base, working and with and providing technical assistance to my coworkers.

Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Long Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2012.

The interview process includes questions about my availability, comfort with selling financial products, performance measures, and some behavioral questions like how I would handle conflict with a customer. It is extremely easy and comfortable as you are likely to already have developed some kind of working relationship with the person interviewing you.

Interview Questions
    • How do I feel about working to obtain sales goals?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Wages are set.

Summer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in February 2014.

I was reached by email, to which I replied with my interest. The entire process was very easy and recruiters were always available and willing to answer any of my questions. The interview itself lasted about 30 minutes, where I was asked a few generic questions, but also a few that were detailed and personal- it was obvious that my interviewers had actually taken interest in my resume which felt like a nice personal touch to me. After my interview I was contacted about three weeks later, after they had finished all of their other interviews. Overall I would say the process was painless and easy!

Interview Questions
    • One of my most difficult questions was something like "What has been your greatest challenge?" It was difficult because it was so vague, and definitely not something I had been thinking about beforehand. But the interviewer seemed genuinely interested in what my answer was, and I felt like there wasn't a "right" or "wrong" answer.   Answer Question

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!