H&R Block Interview Questions & Reviews

2.2

Tax Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2013.

I had to complete a 2 month tax course with a satisfactory score of 70%. The interview was in group form which was my first experience at that. They just asked basic questions such as why I wanted the job and to tell about an experience of how you handled a disgruntled customer.

Tax Professional Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block.

Initial hires must either take the Basic Course and pass with minimum 80% score or have three attempts to pass the Tax Knowledge Assessment exam. Returning employees must reapply every fall, will have an interview with the District Manager covering the previous year's performance and coming season's expectations.

Did not negotiate.

Tax Preparer Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in August 2014.

I have not gone through the hiring or interview process yet. Start the class soon. Hoping to get an interview after I finish the class, providing that I do well enough in the class to be considered for hire.

Master Tax Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Lyndhurst, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Lyndhurst, OH

interviewed at H&R Block in November 2013.

Interview consisted of discussing my education, goals, and what I contribute to H&R Block. Annual
    Education requirements, building a client base, working and with and providing technical assistance to my coworkers.

Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Long Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2012.

The interview process includes questions about my availability, comfort with selling financial products, performance measures, and some behavioral questions like how I would handle conflict with a customer. It is extremely easy and comfortable as you are likely to already have developed some kind of working relationship with the person interviewing you.

Interview Questions
    • How do I feel about working to obtain sales goals?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Wages are set.

Summer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in February 2014.

I was reached by email, to which I replied with my interest. The entire process was very easy and recruiters were always available and willing to answer any of my questions. The interview itself lasted about 30 minutes, where I was asked a few generic questions, but also a few that were detailed and personal- it was obvious that my interviewers had actually taken interest in my resume which felt like a nice personal touch to me. After my interview I was contacted about three weeks later, after they had finished all of their other interviews. Overall I would say the process was painless and easy!

Interview Questions
    • One of my most difficult questions was something like "What has been your greatest challenge?" It was difficult because it was so vague, and definitely not something I had been thinking about beforehand. But the interviewer seemed genuinely interested in what my answer was, and I felt like there wasn't a "right" or "wrong" answer.   Answer Question

Tax Associate Interview

H&R Block requires that you attend a training course without guarantee of hire. This course lasted for two months. It consisted of an introduction to the basics of preparing personal income taxes. Employees were chosen based off of testing results.

I was offered the position and informed of what my starting commission would be. I was paid an hourly wage throughout the tax season and this was subtracted from the total bonus I earned for the tax season. I received part of my bonus at the end of March and the second bonus about a week and a half after tax season ended.

Program Manager Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4 days - interviewed at H&R Block.

There were 4 interviews over 3 weeks. Two interviews were by phone. Two were in person. I met the hiring manager and members of the team. The questions were pretty basic but I think the questions were designed to see how well you would mesh with the overall team.

The initial HR discussions involved offer ranges. Negotiation is possible and I accepted 5K less but they did try to get the salary below 100K. THe negotiation was over the phone and other items of negotiation like benefits were not on the table.

Product Support Specialist Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at H&R Block.

I was able to get a interview through a connection with the tech school I was attending at the time. The interview was rather simple and not too many technical questions were asked. There was more Personality questions asked and what if this type of situation occurred, what would you do, questions. I met with the hiring manager who was also my floor manager. After that interview, I was scheduled to take a online personality test. After that was complete, that was it.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I was asked was how would you bring down a irate customer?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. It was just a flat hourly pay offer.

Tax Specialist II Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at H&R Block.

In 2010 military spouses were offered free tuition for the basic income tax course. If no more than were missed and scored an 80 or higher on the final exam, application for employment as a 1st year tax professional was accepted. Employment was not guaranteed, depending on location availability.

Interview Questions
    • Commitment to hours work can be conflicting with how many returns you are expected to complete. For instance, if you work 40 hrs a week or 9 hrs a week, a 1st yr Pro is expected to complete the same number of returns.   Answer Question

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!