H&R Block Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

2.2

Tax Accountant Interview

Interview

I was so anxious. There were a lot of questions. The interview questions ranged from, "What have you learned from previous jobs that helped prepare you for this opportunity?" and "What did you like/dislike about your last job?" to "Have you ever had to work as part of a group?" and "How would you handle a customer complaint?"

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself? Why did you leave last employer?   Answer Question

District General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block (Grand Rapids, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

Called by recruiter who did initial phone screening. Then a panel interview with human resources (who attended via video link), Regional Manager, and two District Managers (in person). Followed up by a 45 min phone interview with VP. All took place over three weeks time.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all behavioral/situational leadership questions, IE. tell me about a time when you ... how did you handle a tem member that ... Describe a time when you had to ... what happen and how did it turn out. I found the questions to range from fairly routine to difficult, the longer the (panel) interview went the more difficult they were. Regional Manager asked tough questions and wanted specific examples. Interviewers were professional but relaxed, I was the only one with a tie on. All seemed very down to earth but very knowledgeable.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, offer was very generous in fact more than I expected based on my initial research.

Retail Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block.

Interview

Very professional. I spoke with a recruiter on the phone and interviewed with the district manager. It was overall a good experience and I looked online at how reputable the company is. Which is always a deciding factor for me.

Tax Preparer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at H&R Block (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

I took a class that was offer by H&R Block. After the midterm, the instructor send out information about the interview date as well as the location. You will have to apply online first and choose a location that you wish to work at. Then you will have to call in when get a slot for your interview.

Interview Questions

• General questions about customer service, some scenarios. and some technical questions   Answer Question

District Ops Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at H&R Block.

Interview

2 phone interviews and 1 face to face. Very comfortable interview, enjoyed learning more about the company.

Interview Questions

• Asked for me to choose between two open positions and why I would choose one over the other.   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

It took a long time for all the pieces to come together. Not quite sure why. But I suspect that it was a time of ramping up for tax season.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve x problem.   1 Answer

Tax Preparer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H&R Block (Virginia Beach, VA).

Interview

Very easy, relaxed. I applied online and took an online assessment. I met with the District Manager one-on-one. It was very straight forward and I was offered a position that day. Unfortunately, the location I applied for was full. However, I was offered 2 other locations. Usually they require people take there basic prep class. But, since I passed their online assessment (before my interview), and had a MBA, I was not required to take the class.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

n/a

CSP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

Application

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block (Beaverton, OR).

Interview

I thought it was a one on one interview. I walk in & there are 20 other people there. I was interviewed by 3 managers at once with 3 other candidates at the same time.

Customer Service Professional Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview

Three office managers sat down three of us and asked us how we would deal with an angry customer. Very brief, basically they just want to know you can interact with people professionally. 10-15 minutes was all it took for the three of us. In my particular case, there was also a brief questionnaire, as they were also looking to hire Office Marketing Assistants out of the group. They gave us a one-pager with questions like "what is your personal brand". This section is totally separate from getting the CSP job, however.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with an angry customer in the past?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at H&R Block (Kansas City, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through my college career website and an on campus interview was set up. It actually took quite a while to be told my status, but anyway it was the typical behavioral interview. Make sure to do your research and ask questions. They love innovation there so if you have that quality definitly bring it to the interview.