H&R Block

218 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tax Professional Interview

Tax Professional

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview Details – Initial hires must either take the Basic Course and pass with minimum 80% score or have three attempts to pass the Tax Knowledge Assessment exam. Returning employees must reapply every fall, will have an interview with the District Manager covering the previous year's performance and coming season's expectations.

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Tax Preparer Interview

Tax Preparer

I applied through other source and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in August 2014.

Interview Details – I have not gone through the hiring or interview process yet. Start the class soon. Hoping to get an interview after I finish the class, providing that I do well enough in the class to be considered for hire.

Master Tax Advisor Interview

Master Tax Advisor
Lyndhurst, OH

I interviewed at H&R Block in November 2013.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of discussing my education, goals, and what I contribute to H&R Block. Annual
Education requirements, building a client base, working and with and providing technical assistance to my coworkers.

Tax Associate Interview

Tax Associate
Long Beach, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process includes questions about my availability, comfort with selling financial products, performance measures, and some behavioral questions like how I would handle conflict with a customer. It is extremely easy and comfortable as you are likely to already have developed some kind of working relationship with the person interviewing you.

Interview Question – How do I feel about working to obtain sales goals?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Wages are set.

Summer Interview

Summer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was reached by email, to which I replied with my interest. The entire process was very easy and recruiters were always available and willing to answer any of my questions. The interview itself lasted about 30 minutes, where I was asked a few generic questions, but also a few that were detailed and personal- it was obvious that my interviewers had actually taken interest in my resume which felt like a nice personal touch to me. After my interview I was contacted about three weeks later, after they had finished all of their other interviews. Overall I would say the process was painless and easy!

Interview Question – One of my most difficult questions was something like "What has been your greatest challenge?" It was difficult because it was so vague, and definitely not something I had been thinking about beforehand. But the interviewer seemed genuinely interested in what my answer was, and I felt like there wasn't a "right" or "wrong" answer.   Answer Question

Tax Associate Interview

Tax Associate

Interviewed at H&R Block

Interview Details – H&R Block requires that you attend a training course without guarantee of hire. This course lasted for two months. It consisted of an introduction to the basics of preparing personal income taxes. Employees were chosen based off of testing results.

Negotiation Details – I was offered the position and informed of what my starting commission would be. I was paid an hourly wage throughout the tax season and this was subtracted from the total bonus I earned for the tax season. I received part of my bonus at the end of March and the second bonus about a week and a half after tax season ended.

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview Details – There were 4 interviews over 3 weeks. Two interviews were by phone. Two were in person. I met the hiring manager and members of the team. The questions were pretty basic but I think the questions were designed to see how well you would mesh with the overall team.

Negotiation Details – The initial HR discussions involved offer ranges. Negotiation is possible and I accepted 5K less but they did try to get the salary below 100K. THe negotiation was over the phone and other items of negotiation like benefits were not on the table.

Product Support Specialist Interview

Product Support Specialist

I applied through college or university and interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview Details – I was able to get a interview through a connection with the tech school I was attending at the time. The interview was rather simple and not too many technical questions were asked. There was more Personality questions asked and what if this type of situation occurred, what would you do, questions. I met with the hiring manager who was also my floor manager. After that interview, I was scheduled to take a online personality test. After that was complete, that was it.

Interview Question – The most difficult question I was asked was how would you bring down a irate customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. It was just a flat hourly pay offer.

Tax Specialist II Interview

Tax Specialist II

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview Details – In 2010 military spouses were offered free tuition for the basic income tax course. If no more than were missed and scored an 80 or higher on the final exam, application for employment as a 1st year tax professional was accepted. Employment was not guaranteed, depending on location availability.

Interview Question – Commitment to hours work can be conflicting with how many returns you are expected to complete. For instance, if you work 40 hrs a week or 9 hrs a week, a 1st yr Pro is expected to complete the same number of returns.   Answer Question

Tax Professional Interview

Tax Professional

Interviewed at H&R Block

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly short. They just wanted to know my work history and asked various questions about my past experience. They also explained the expectations of the job.

Negotiation Details – There isn't any. The salary is the same for everyone. The only potential to earn more is based on number of tax returns completed and years of service.

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!