H&R Block

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.2

Tax Preparer Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview was 30 minutes long. It was a walk-in. Basic interview with education, experience, and skill-related questions. Some situational questions as well. Didn't get an offer because I didn't have the necessary experience despite passing the H&R Block Tax Course.

Client Service Professional Interview

The interview process was quite simple. It was more about getting to know me and how I interact with people. Very little questions about my experience. I was hired on the spot and sent to training on another site.

Office Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at H&R Block.

must attend school then pass with a score of 80 or better,then go for an interview, Go to the main office to have a interview with the District Manger which is just a check to see how you are dressed and how you present yourself

Client Services Professional and Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emerson, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Emerson, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at H&R Block in January 2015.

I stopped into an office, asked to speak to the manager. She was not there at the time, but I left my contact information and we did set up an interview for the following Sunday.

Interview Questions
    • I asked if I could test out (show my knowledge) for a First Year Tax Professional and she told me no.

I declined the offer because I felt the salary was too low. I asked if they could offer more - the answer was no.

The hours were very flexible - i.e. any hours the office was open were available (P/T and F/T)

Answer Question

CSP Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at H&R Block.

The hiring process was easy and quick. Getting the through the training was easy also. The people during the process were helpful and understanding. The computer process was a bit of a mess, I went through training but did not have a location where I wanted to work, and they put me in an office that was not what I requested; it was also not worth driving all that way for the minimal pay received.

There was no negotiation, they paid what they wanted. Albeit not sufficient for the rising cost of living.

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

Interview was about 15 min. Asked why do I want to work for HR Block. Give a example of pass experience handling a difficult customer and resolution.
    Was hired on the spot contingent to passing my tax class.
    The interview was smooth and short, less than I expected.
    Had to sign background check and provide SSN and ID for employment.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult or unexpected question that caught me off guard,   Answer Question
    I was told me how much the pay is start out at. I asked if there is room for negotiation and she say no. Everyone first year tax pro start at the same rate. Is this correct???
    I think HR Block can afford to pay more than $9.50 a hr. With my experiences and education I can get a job at Costco that pay to start $12-$14. With a big company like HR Block you would think they pay better???

Customer Service Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

Timeline from submitting resume in September till interview was longer than ad detailed. It said interviews were to begin in November, no one I talked to interviewed earlier than December. Interview was pretty simple, they had a printout of specific questions that they asked and jotted down responses. All "on-boarding" was done online and without guidance from a representative of the company. Offer letter was buried in a mountain of virtual paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty run of the mill, nothing to challenging.   Answer Question
    no negotiation, you did not meet with a person about offer or to complete paperwork.

CSP Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

First applied online, then got called in to come to a "job fair". It was simply waiting for a few interviewers to get through a large number of candidates. The interview consisted of asking brief questions about my previous jobs and basic "tell me about a time you had to deal with stress" questions.

Client Service Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocala, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocala, FL

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

The hiring process is fairly easy. Initially you're called into an office and you'll have your interview with a manager from that office although that may not be the office you'll be assigned to work at. They really just ask questions about your past work experience and why you would be a great addition to the company whether it be a seasonal position or even just a temporary job. If you get through the interview, you wait to hear from the District Manager which office you'll be assigned to along with your start date.

Interview Questions
    • They'll have you present how you would take a call.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southaven, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southaven, MS

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

Interview was normal interview questions easy n quick. Do u have experience and why did you choose this job. Great company. Went straight to the point no hard questions very easy...