H&R Block

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.2

Office Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at H&R Block.

must attend school then pass with a score of 80 or better,then go for an interview, Go to the main office to have a interview with the District Manger which is just a check to see how you are dressed and how you present yourself

CSP Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at H&R Block.

The hiring process was easy and quick. Getting the through the training was easy also. The people during the process were helpful and understanding. The computer process was a bit of a mess, I went through training but did not have a location where I wanted to work, and they put me in an office that was not what I requested; it was also not worth driving all that way for the minimal pay received.

There was no negotiation, they paid what they wanted. Albeit not sufficient for the rising cost of living.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

Interview was about 15 min. Asked why do I want to work for HR Block. Give a example of pass experience handling a difficult customer and resolution.
    Was hired on the spot contingent to passing my tax class.
    The interview was smooth and short, less than I expected.
    Had to sign background check and provide SSN and ID for employment.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult or unexpected question that caught me off guard,   Answer Question
    I was told me how much the pay is start out at. I asked if there is room for negotiation and she say no. Everyone first year tax pro start at the same rate. Is this correct???
    I think HR Block can afford to pay more than $9.50 a hr. With my experiences and education I can get a job at Costco that pay to start $12-$14. With a big company like HR Block you would think they pay better???

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southaven, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southaven, MS

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

Interview was normal interview questions easy n quick. Do u have experience and why did you choose this job. Great company. Went straight to the point no hard questions very easy...

Customer Service Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

Interview questions were mostly about customer service. The pay was the same as last year, they said it was not negotiable for seasonal CSP. I was asked about being willing to do some marketing work for that specific store I was being hired to work for. I said I would do that if I could get extra hours plus some more money. They said yes, I could get $1.00 more per hour and it would mean 6 to 10 more hours a week. I was happy. Then I went to the first staff meeting and was introduced to the person who was also a part time CSP and told that she was going to be doing marketing a few hours a week. Seriously? What happened to me? Well, apparently she knows somebody because someone told the store manager that SHE was the person they would have for extra marketing hours. Can you guess that I am mad about that?! Why couldnt HR Block manager that hired me give me the courtesy to tell me ahead of time? I was counting on that since they dont schedule more than 20 hours a week. Oh well. Complaining isnt going to get me more hours, thats for sure.

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

One way you'll get an interview is by completing the 75 hour H&R Block Income Tax Course.

The course itself cost $200 in October of 2014. Successful completion and passing of the final exam is not a guaranteed job offer... But, it's a necessary requirement for employment.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation for first year tax associates. If you make it through the first year you'll be better off the second year.

First Year Tax Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

The hiring process was very easy. Went through the Income Tax Course in the fall and was hired immediately right before the course ended. Everything was done online, the application and the offer.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have to go through an interview. But the most shocking thing is the pay. As a first year tax pro, we do not receive any commission and the base pay is way too low for the amount knowledge that is required for this job.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, CA

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

First I applied online and then about 3 weeks later was called in for a interview. I was interviewed by a panel of two, they took turns asking me questions, as I answered the questions they were taking notes. Then about 2 weeks later was called and offered a job.

Customer Service Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

Timeline from submitting resume in September till interview was longer than ad detailed. It said interviews were to begin in November, no one I talked to interviewed earlier than December. Interview was pretty simple, they had a printout of specific questions that they asked and jotted down responses. All "on-boarding" was done online and without guidance from a representative of the company. Offer letter was buried in a mountain of virtual paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty run of the mill, nothing to challenging.   Answer Question
    no negotiation, you did not meet with a person about offer or to complete paperwork.

CSP Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2014.

First applied online, then got called in to come to a "job fair". It was simply waiting for a few interviewers to get through a large number of candidates. The interview consisted of asking brief questions about my previous jobs and basic "tell me about a time you had to deal with stress" questions.