H&R Block Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.2

Program Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days - interviewed at H&R Block.

There were 4 interviews over 3 weeks. Two interviews were by phone. Two were in person. I met the hiring manager and members of the team. The questions were pretty basic but I think the questions were designed to see how well you would mesh with the overall team.

The initial HR discussions involved offer ranges. Negotiation is possible and I accepted 5K less but they did try to get the salary below 100K. THe negotiation was over the phone and other items of negotiation like benefits were not on the table.

Product Support Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at H&R Block.

I was able to get a interview through a connection with the tech school I was attending at the time. The interview was rather simple and not too many technical questions were asked. There was more Personality questions asked and what if this type of situation occurred, what would you do, questions. I met with the hiring manager who was also my floor manager. After that interview, I was scheduled to take a online personality test. After that was complete, that was it.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I was asked was how would you bring down a irate customer?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. It was just a flat hourly pay offer.

Tax Specialist II Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at H&R Block.

In 2010 military spouses were offered free tuition for the basic income tax course. If no more than were missed and scored an 80 or higher on the final exam, application for employment as a 1st year tax professional was accepted. Employment was not guaranteed, depending on location availability.

Interview Questions
    • Commitment to hours work can be conflicting with how many returns you are expected to complete. For instance, if you work 40 hrs a week or 9 hrs a week, a 1st yr Pro is expected to complete the same number of returns.   Answer Question

Tax Professional Interview

The interview process was fairly short. They just wanted to know my work history and asked various questions about my past experience. They also explained the expectations of the job.

There isn't any. The salary is the same for everyone. The only potential to earn more is based on number of tax returns completed and years of service.

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online - interviewed at H&R Block.

Interviewing and and hiring process is good. Orientation and staff meeting. Not really any problem to see forward. License, questions for low income on a paper for tax credit and free parking. Strict about missed days of work are explained before hiring.

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in June 2014.

The interview process was professional and detailed. The questions were around the behavorioral process. I am friends with the Regional Manager so it was easy. I side stepped a lot of what would normally been required.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you dealt with a difficult leader? What was the situation and the outcome?   Answer Question
    Very professional and simple

Tax Preparer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at H&R Block.

Short and sweet already worked for the company. Went over expectations for the upcoming year. They make you interview every year. The hiring process is long and drawn out.

Tax Preparer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied in-person - interviewed at H&R Block.

Manager was helpful. Had experience with taxes. Have worked with Block before. They were happy to have me back. The more clients you serve the more money you make. Can make a bonus at the end of tax season.

Interview Questions
    • all questions were typical how to handle clients questions.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in June 2010.

Submitted resume through an on line process. They accepted and asked me to come into the field office for an interview. I interviewed with two different for about 45 minutes each. Typical why do you want to work for Block, what can you offer us questions. They got back to me with an offer that was not very high but better than some other places I have worked at.

Interview Questions
    • Do you see yourself with this company in five years? How about 10 years? What do you think Block can provide you to make you stay that long?   View Answer
    One offer. Not negotiable. Take it or leave it.

District Operations Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block.

An application with resume is uploaded online. An 3rd party recruiter then contacts you if you are selected for a phone screen. If you pass that you have a tier 1 panel interview. Th final step is the 1:1 interview with your Direct.

Interview Questions
    via phone, then in email.