H&R Block

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.2

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in October 2014.

I applied online and was contacted about a month after applying. The interview was fairly easy and laid back. The questions are pretty standard: about working in stressful situations and role playing. After the interview, I was told I might be hard depending on passing the class, which I wasn't signed up for.

Interview Questions
    • How will you interview clients to get the information that you want?   Answer Question

Client Service Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at H&R Block in October 2014.

Very easy interview with manager no difficulty really easy. Just dress professional and relate stories customer based. Go in with great expectations and its only seasonal last until april

None

Tax Preparer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block.

I completed the online tax knowledge evaluation rather than taking the H&R Block tax course that is offered. A week later I received a call asking me to come in for an interview. The interview was short, sweet, and to the point, and a few days later I was called and offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • I was surprised at how many questions were asked about clerical work. Turns out the interviewer thought I was there for an admin position, so my advice is to verify that when you arrive.   Answer Question

Tax Preparer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hampton, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hampton, VA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at H&R Block.

Hiring and Interview was a part of the educational process. As long as you pass the course and take a personality test they will hire you. Interview questions were easy and pretty much a formality.

1y Income Tax Professional Interview

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block.

the interview was one on one. It was really easy if you take special Income tax course before that is offered by H & R Block. i was asked about my previous job experience. also was given a test with behavioral situations. all the interview lasts about a half an hour. i asked several questions. they offered me a minimum hourly wage that is too low for me. so i declined

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block.

I applied online. I got a call about a month later to interview. Most interview questions involved things like "Tell me about yourself," "What made you apply for this position," What experiences have you had that would benefit in this job?" The interview process was relatively short and easy. I ended up getting an offer of a "scholarship" for their tax course to become a Tax Pro which they claimed normally costs $199. (But not completely free as I would have to buy my books for $200). They weren't clear about the odds of getting a job with them or any guarantee of it. I'm still trying to figure out if this is something that would be worth taking or if it is simply a way for H&R Block to make easy money off of people like me. Overall though the two people I spoke with were very nice and I felt good about the interview other than the vague description of Classes that would be "free", oh except $200 for books. That's not really free is it.

Marketing Coordinator-seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in September 2014.

2 to 1 interview with 2 managers of Department of Marketing; common questions such as "Did you work as a team member before? Give me an example." "What's your strength and weakness?" Easy and relaxed atmosphere. Very nice interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • When you want to get help from other team members, how will you say to them?   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at H&R Block in September 2014.

The interview process took place over a video feed with the Regional Manager and someone from HR who was only connected via phone (sort of a conference call) The interview process took exactly about 1 hour in time using the STAR format looking for "specific" responses in order to gage one's skills and experience dealing with such situation. The person doing most of the questions was the HR rep only bouncing on the Regional every now and then for follow up questions or comments.
    All in all the entire interview process was as you would expect for someone interviewing for this position.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions, however, a word of advise for those interviewing, do your homework and do your research in order to help you with the typical "Tell us about yourself" we often take this question for granted.   View Answer

Tax Professional Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block.

Initial hires must either take the Basic Course and pass with minimum 80% score or have three attempts to pass the Tax Knowledge Assessment exam. Returning employees must reapply every fall, will have an interview with the District Manager covering the previous year's performance and coming season's expectations.

Did not negotiate.

Tax Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waynesville, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waynesville, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at H&R Block.

You are required to the H&R Block tax classes. This is about a two and a half month course that costs between 200-300 hundred dollars. If you pass the class, you are usually offered a position. I did not have a formal interview. The course instructor will have knowledge of your work and social skills, which gets passed to management.