H&R Block Interview Questions

2.2

First Year Tax Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied in-person – interviewed at H&R Block in November 2014.

Took the class and passed the test. We set up interviews before we even knew if we passed the test. (You have to pass the test before you can get hired though.) Interview was a breeze, he tried to get me my ptin number before I even left the interview. One thing that made me frustrated was that I didn't know when the training was going to start, and I wouldn't have even known that I was for sure hired because nobody called or emailed me to let me know. I had to call and they told me that classes start the very next day. Didn't seem to care that I almost wasn't hired because of their mistake.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself?
      How did you find out about our tax course?
      Why do you want to work in hrblock?

Answer Question
    No negotiation

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at H&R Block in November 2014.

I took the tax prep class and was told to complete the application asap to let them know who was interested in working. I never heard from anyone until the 2nd to last week of class and I had an interview in the office with a branch manager. The branch manager had a piece of paper and it appeared she asked me questions off of the list.

Tax Professional II Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at H&R Block in November 2014.

I didn't go their class and passed the Tax Knowledge Assessment on the website and then applied online. I got a call on the next day to set up an on-site interview in the following Monday. After the interview, I got the offer when I walked out of the office. It was so efficient and I really appreciate it! I was relaxed in the whole interview and before that, I really feared about the interview because English is not my mother language. There is just one simple question "tell me about yourself", I answered a lot, maybe the interviewer figured out that all the things he wanted to know were in my introduction already, so no more formal questions. And still I remember someone said in his review that the interview in this company was really easy, especially in the DC offices. Yeah, I bet he is right.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negociate the price, I got the price when I saw the offer letter and it is not a real beginning price. Actually, they gave me the title II, although I applied the first year tax professional and don't have much real hands-on experience.

Tax Professional II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at H&R Block.

One of the easiest, most relaxed interviews I have ever participated in. Passed test online and submitted resume with cover letter. Was called about 3 weeks later and invited to interview. I sat with the interviewer about 30 minutes, reviewing their payment policies, discussing the location options, and was asked if I thought I would be a good fit. I had to ask if they were hiring me, as it seemed as though I was already hired! I don't know if my relaxed attitude or my resume impressed them, or if help is hard to get at the salary with the conditions, but it almost seemed as though I was hired before I even got there.

I did negotiate a slightly higher starting hourly wage, however most of their package is not negotiable.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at H&R Block.

Interviewed with five people in one day. Easy interviews and I liked that they did it all in one day instead of having me come back five separate times. I was told I had "all the right answers,"but no offer yet.

Tax Preparer Interview

The lady told me to fill a form first then asked me a lot of behavior question.Do you have sales experience? What to do with an angry customer? Anything you learn from previous experience.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions. Do you have sales experience? What to do with an angry customer? Anything you learn from previous experience.   Answer Question

First Year Tax Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at H&R Block.

Must tax company's beginning tax course and pass with a 70% or 80%. Then you will be eligible for an interview. You will be interviewed by a office or district manager(depending on which locations you applied for) and take about 10-15 minutes. Sometimes less. You will get a phone call within 2-4 days, depending on how many more interviews they still had, letting you know if you got the job or not. You'll be told which location you'll be working at, but sometimes you may be able to switch locations if you need to.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. Very straight forward. Have you done taxes before? How long, what kind of returns can do   Answer Question
    Mine was different. I was given a starting range to choose from because the DM knew of my education & experience.

Intern Interview

Campus recruiting first, then passed the first round interview. In the second round phone interview, more questions about professional questions, more on the previous work experience. The interviewer was nice and friendly.

Tax Preparer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at H&R Block.

This is not an hourly pay job. They pay piecemeal or by production and if you want to make money, you gotta bring in the people yourself. Only take the job if you can produce human traffic to their door.

Interview Questions

obviously not a pay by the hour job

Office Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at H&R Block in October 2014.

Applied online. Took about 3 days to get a call back for an interview. Process was very easy, district manager very friendly and available for questions during and after interview.

Interview Questions
    • Basic situational questions were asked such as describe a time when an employee was wrong and you had to correct them. Also asked how would you tell bad news to an employee. Very easy behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, I took what they offered.