H&R Block

2.9

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Tax Resear Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block.

Originally informed of position by law school OCI. Had an informational meeting where I incidentally spoke to the woman who ended up interviewing me. The informational meeting covered most of the topics of the interview which ended up being more of a clear the air for what the position entailed type of meeting. Interview was about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What type of tax are you interested in and what is your experience?   Answer Question
    Work with h&r block hr department through their web portal

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block.

Interviewing and and hiring process is good. Orientation and staff meeting. Not really any problem to see forward. License, questions for low income on a paper for tax credit and free parking. Strict about missed days of work are explained before hiring.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

interviewed at H&R Block in January 2013.

Had a phone interview as the first round with technical questions related to the data base techniques regarding the stored procedures, functions, triggers. etc.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to write a shell script to transfer data to a SFTP site   Answer Question

Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at H&R Block in January 2013.

Completed over a several month period including resume, interview, work samples.

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at H&R Block in November 2012.

Was initially contacted with a pre-employment assessment test (common sense stuff).
    Was called in for an interview within a week or so, heard back another 3 days later with an offer pending completion of the background check.

Interview itself was pretty straight forward

Interview Questions
    • You are trying to access a file on a shared drive, but cannot (somewhat vague way to phrase question, but that is its intent I suppose)   View Answers (2)
    No negotiation

Lead Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in January 2012.

In person meeting with director during recruitment phase. Phone interview with HR followed by a series of one-on-one interviews with team and biz partners. Also met with the VP and President. Process was fairly standard but it did take time for the actual offer to come through. A portfolio was requested, I had submitted links... but I did not get feedback regarding the portfolio submission.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions... nothing off the wall or unexpected.   Answer Question
    There was some room for negotiation.

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in September 2011.

Professional and cordial. I was able to find out that the candidate selected had several years of experience in the position at another company.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online – interviewed at H&R Block in August 2011.

There was a phone interview (30 minutes with recruiter) followed by an interview on-site (group of 2--45 minutes) the next week, followed by an offer the following week. Interview questions were standard behavioral questions. They look for SMART answers--this is also how performance is evaluated.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you implemented a change, and how it benefited the company.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in April 2011.

Initial interview went well for a temporary assignment to last five weeks at H&R Block's world headquarters. A job was subsequently offered, then later rescinded a full week later when the company decided they wanted to see verification of self-employment for the past three years, requesting access to my personal tax records. At this point, I had already filled out three separate and very extensive background checks for what amounts to a temporary assignment that is low in pay.

I declined to provide such personal information to the company. They then came back and restated the offer, this time without the necessity to provide the requested records. But then, astonishingly, later the same day I was contacted stating that I could be hired for two weeks as a probationary measure, but that at the end of those two weeks they again would need to see my tax records for the past three years. I have a professional background with great references, and I am highly skilled. I also happen to be unwilling to divulge personal data to any large company simply because they feel a potential candidate might be desperate enough for a job to give up their rights and privacy. This was possibly the most bizarre and maddening interview process I have ever encountered.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions concerned my background and skills primarily, and included a proficiency test.   Answer Question

This job is declined due to a poorly conducted interview-hire process. Offering, rescinding, offering again, then rescinding again was extremely unprofessional and unwarranted.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in May 2009.

Phone interview is just a HR interview. No Technical questions were asked.
    The Group panel interview includes all technical questions and the interview was held for around an hour.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best way to use string concatenation in C#?   Answer Question