H&R Block

Average Difficulty
29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Long Beach, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process includes questions about my availability, comfort with selling financial products, performance measures, and some behavioral questions like how I would handle conflict with a customer. It is extremely easy and comfortable as you are likely to already have developed some kind of working relationship with the person interviewing you.

Interview Question – How do I feel about working to obtain sales goals?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Wages are set.

Interviewed at H&R Block

Interview Details – H&R Block requires that you attend a training course without guarantee of hire. This course lasted for two months. It consisted of an introduction to the basics of preparing personal income taxes. Employees were chosen based off of testing results.

Negotiation Details – I was offered the position and informed of what my starting commission would be. I was paid an hourly wage throughout the tax season and this was subtracted from the total bonus I earned for the tax season. I received part of my bonus at the end of March and the second bonus about a week and a half after tax season ended.

Portsmouth, VA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at H&R Block in November 2013.

Interview Details – Default Interview in relation to what you know about the company, what qualifies your tax knowledge, how did you like/dislike of the H&R Block course, work related problems and team work skills. Prior work experience contribution to this job. Although scheduled, there are certain number of applicants and it is first come first served.

Interview Question – How would you drive revenue, promote sales, and client retention.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Tax Associates starts off the same.

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview Details – An interview with the District Manager whom asked about your work history, education, and background. Then a skills, and personality test was performed.

Negotiation Details – Easy process

Tax Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in January 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring is not difficult but you must pass the Basic Tax Course (84 hours) with an 80% or above to be considered. You can also tax the Tax Assessment online if you have previous experience.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a Tax Pro?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Scheduling and office location are extremely negotionable.

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2013.

Interview Details – It was very accurate and comprehensive. It took 45 minutes. The interviewer was very skillful and mean.

Interview Question – The question regarding the team group handling experiences   Answer Question

Interviewed at H&R Block

Interview Details – You have to take a class for 3 months, totaling up to like 100 hours I think. The class costs at least $100. If you pass the test at the end of the class, then you go to the interview. So it's possible that you may not get hired after the money and time spent even if you passed the test. But 9/10 you'll get hired.

Interview Question – I don't remember the interview being difficult because you already took the test and passed. It was more like they were telling you what was expected of you since you already proved that you knew the basics of tax preparation.   Answer Question

Tax Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview Details – Took course and passed it then interviewed with franchise owner easy process

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself going in company in the future   View Answer

Interviewed at H&R Block

Interview Details – You need to have completed education requirements and passed with a level of 80% or greater. Application process is repeated yearly and has gotten extremely and unnecessarily tedious of the past several years. The first steps are done online and then you'll meet with the regional manager who will conduct a group interview.

Interview Question – Most of the candidates are recent former students of tax classes at H&R Block and will have proven themselves in their classes. Additionally, they'll have most likely already met the regional manager who does the the in person interviews at least once. Cannot recollect anything difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Tax Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at H&R Block in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applying for the job is very easy. Just go to H&R Block website and fill in the application. You will then be sent and email to schedule an interview. The interview is about 20 minutes long. You will be told how you scored relevant to the job. You will be told what classes you still need to take if you have not completed all of them.

Interview Question – How would I make more money for the company.   View Answer

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!