H&R Block

Getting the Interview

26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Vancouver, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at H&R Block in November 2009.

Interview Details – Initial hiring and interview went smoothly. After training, was offered opportunity to interview. Was very informal and based primarily on completion of class and score/rank.

Negotiation Details – none. Fixed hourly rate.

Forest Grove, OR

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block in November 2009.

Interview Details – The process begins by taking their tax preparation class. Everyone typically applies for a job and is generally granted an interview with the district manager. They scheduled my interview in the late evening and the office was empty but for the secretary and the manager. The interview was 1 on 1. The manager did not review my application ahead of time and pulled it up on the computer while I was sitting there. Overall the manager was condesending at times, asked a lot of questions, a lot of pointing and rudeness. It almost seemed like he was seeing how I would resond under pressure. I recieved my official job offer a few days later and had to attend training prior to the start of tax season.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There was not any option to negotiate. Employees were offered an hourly rate on an accept or decline basis.

San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at H&R Block in November 2009.

Interview Details – I had taken their basic tax class and did pretty well; I was encouraged to apply for the tax associate position and I did.
First they did a phone interview that was very basic. They asked questions like would you be willing to answer the phones?

Interview Question – Why do you want to work with us? Yes, that was the hardest question.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, first year is only $9.00 an hr. Second year you have the chance to make commissiond. My second year I did 155 tax returns and made no commission.

Lafayette, LA

The process took a day - interviewed at H&R Block in November 2010.

Interview Details – called set appointment, met with district manager.asked situational questions with nothing to do about working in tax office but basically behavioral questions. very simple nothing special

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – no negotiating they said 8 dollars an hour you either take it or leave it if you just want a part time job after completing the test or 80 somethin hour class for 8 bucks but could get better in years to come depending on how many clients you serve

New York, NY

The process took 5 days - interviewed at H&R Block in May 2010.

Interview Details – Nice people but I didn't feel I was a good fit for the company. I didn't like how retail based the company was. Also, the benefits aren't that great as opposed to other places and the pay was hourly and minimal. I wish Kansas City offered more support to employees than just "calling in".

Jersey City, NJ

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at H&R Block in October 2009.

Interview Details – Once you take basic tax education course, pass the test you are hired.

Interview Question – They dont ask any hard questions because they need people. I guess the hardest question was are you ok with making 7.15 per hour?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Minimum wage and no negotiations

Dearborn, MI

The process took 1 week - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2007.

Interview Details – Interviewed by two managers at one of their branch. Asked questions about my previous jobs. One week later I received an offer.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for H&R Block?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be honest and don't make up things.

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed at H&R Block in January 2012.

Interview Details – After passing the HR Block tax training courses with a grade of 80% or higher, I was invited for an interview with the Central Toronto Regional leader at a location in downtown. The interview process was very pleasant. The interviewer was very nice and asked me a lot of customer service questions.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you have conflict with your clients   Answer Question

Tax Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview Details – As long as you pass the class and exam(more than 80%), you have a chance to work as a Seasonal Tax Pro. The interview with District Manager was pretty easy-going. Anyway, it is more important if you could pass the exam, and for first year you basically only know very basic tax.

Interview Question – No difficult question came up during my interview.   Answer Question

Tax Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at H&R Block in December 2011.

Interview Details – Had to pass basic tax course to be considered for employment. Very basic interview - why do you want to work here?

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question