H&R Block

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Tax Preparer

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview Details – The interview process was sketchy, at best. She had a set list of questions and didn't even look me in the eye during the interview. Once I got an offer, the website was so glitchy that I spent almost a month wasting my time communicating with different offices, and over an hour on the phone with Kansas City to have my offer letter emailed to me as an attachment. I responded to the email, but it was not processed in the system for over a week, so I received countless nagging calls and emails to do something I had already done. I never received the rest of my new-hire paperwork.

Interview Question – "You will not have the option to work for commission--is that ok?" Even though I was a returning tax preparer with good numbers. The offer letter contradicted this remark.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted by email, because the hiring website was not working properly. When I spent the next week pursuing the proper paperwork, I decided it was not worth it to work for the company, and I withdrew my acceptance.

Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview Details – You have to go through a course and once you pass, you will be called in to the district office for an interview. Interview is easy. They know that you are new.

Interview Question – What do you like most about taxes?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They automatically give you $7.50 (depending on which city you're in). You have no say in your salary.

South Bend, IN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at H&R Block in February 2010.

Interview Details – the process began with the recruiter calling me to know more about my past experience and skills, then went in to office to test out on the tax exam before i could take the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – there is no negotiation for wages. its fixed.

Saint Joseph, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at H&R Block in November 2009.

Interview Details – Passing the H&R Block tax class is mandatory before interviewed. Everyone who passes the tax class with an 80% is offered a Customer Service or Tax Preparer position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Nn negotiation.

Benton Harbor, MI

The process took 1 week - interviewed at H&R Block in November 2010.

Interview Details – I didn't have to do much was a returning seasonal employee. I just took the course the year before passed with a 90, got an interview, dressed professionally, and then I was offered a temp position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Easy.

Plano, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at H&R Block in January 2010.

Interview Details – As I had worked there the past 3 years, I was automatically hired.

Interview Question – What are your goals for this year?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing to negotiate

Tax Preparer

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at H&R Block in October 2009.

Interview Details – Walked into the local office and inquired about available jobs for the tax season. Manager took name and number. Completed online application & personality test. Scheduled for in person interview within on week. Interview lasted 1/2 hour. Questions were directly related to the skill needed to be a tax preparer. Ability to work with public, conflict resolution, customer soft skills.

Interview Question – How would you defuse an angry customer   View Answer

Tax Preparer

The process took a day - interviewed at H&R Block in September 2007.

Interview Details – Initial communications involved a job posting which I responded to with a phone call. I received an interview the following week. It consisted of a one on one face to face talk about education completed and work experience. I was also asked about job skills that I have and also communication skills.

Interview Question – What do you think is the greatest skill you can bring to this job?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Tax Preparer

I applied in-person - interviewed at H&R Block in November 2008.

Interview Details – All you have to do to get hired is pass the class and have a very brief interview. The questions are about your experience and what would you do in certain situations. They are looking for people who are well spoken and can relate to the clients.

Interview Question – None of the questions are hard.   Answer Question

Tax Preparer

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at H&R Block in November 2010.

Interview Details – To qualify for this seasonal Tax Preparer position with H&R Block I had to pass an 8 week Tax preparation class with at least an 80 average (and at least an 80 on the final too).

Interview Question – How did I handle a difficult situation at work?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at H&R Block

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at H&R Block Tax Preparer interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by H&R Block employees and interview candidates.