H&R Block

Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.3

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Tax Preparer Interview

The lady told me to fill a form first then asked me a lot of behavior question.Do you have sales experience? What to do with an angry customer? Anything you learn from previous experience.

Interview Questions
  • No hard questions. Do you have sales experience? What to do with an angry customer? Anything you learn from previous experience.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for H&R Block

Tax Preparer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at H&R Block.

This is not an hourly pay job. They pay piecemeal or by production and if you want to make money, you gotta bring in the people yourself. Only take the job if you can produce human traffic to their door.

Interview Questions

obviously not a pay by the hour job

Tax Preparer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block.

I completed the online tax knowledge evaluation rather than taking the H&R Block tax course that is offered. A week later I received a call asking me to come in for an interview. The interview was short, sweet, and to the point, and a few days later I was called and offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • I was surprised at how many questions were asked about clerical work. Turns out the interviewer thought I was there for an admin position, so my advice is to verify that when you arrive.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hampton, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hampton, VA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at H&R Block.

Hiring and Interview was a part of the educational process. As long as you pass the course and take a personality test they will hire you. Interview questions were easy and pretty much a formality.

Tax Preparer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block in August 2014.

I have not gone through the hiring or interview process yet. Start the class soon. Hoping to get an interview after I finish the class, providing that I do well enough in the class to be considered for hire.

Tax Preparer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at H&R Block.

Short and sweet already worked for the company. Went over expectations for the upcoming year. They make you interview every year. The hiring process is long and drawn out.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied in-person – interviewed at H&R Block.

Manager was helpful. Had experience with taxes. Have worked with Block before. They were happy to have me back. The more clients you serve the more money you make. Can make a bonus at the end of tax season.

Interview Questions
    • all questions were typical how to handle clients questions.   Answer Question

Tax Preparer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at H&R Block.

The interview process was sketchy, at best. She had a set list of questions and didn't even look me in the eye during the interview. Once I got an offer, the website was so glitchy that I spent almost a month wasting my time communicating with different offices, and over an hour on the phone with Kansas City to have my offer letter emailed to me as an attachment. I responded to the email, but it was not processed in the system for over a week, so I received countless nagging calls and emails to do something I had already done. I never received the rest of my new-hire paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • "You will not have the option to work for commission--is that ok?" Even though I was a returning tax preparer with good numbers. The offer letter contradicted this remark.   Answer Question
    I accepted by email, because the hiring website was not working properly. When I spent the next week pursuing the proper paperwork, I decided it was not worth it to work for the company, and I withdrew my acceptance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at H&R Block.

You have to go through a course and once you pass, you will be called in to the district office for an interview. Interview is easy. They know that you are new.

Interview Questions
    They automatically give you $7.50 (depending on which city you're in). You have no say in your salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at H&R Block in December 2010.

The H&R Block Tax Preparation Course is the interview. The course instructors are the managers during tax season. Successful course completion is the prerequisite for employment. The course itself covers all aspects of tax preparation for individuals and businesses. It lasts roughly from mid to late September through December. It is divided into manual tax preparation and computerized tax preparation. The course is rigorous. but well organized. Upon completion, preparers have a good foundation for handling tax returns. This foundation is built upon during tax season. Of course, due to the complexity of tax law, some returns inevitably require the assistance of senior tax preparers.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, because the vetting process was the course itself. The main question regarded availability to work flexible hours during tax season.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Pay is based on an hourly base plus a sales volume commission.