H&R Block Tax Professional Interview Questions

Updated May 7, 2015

2.1

Tax Professional Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview

The hiring process took about 3 weeks and the interview was held at their regional office with one of their senior managers. The interview was brief and contained mostly behavioral questions along with a few past experiences of situation based encounters with clients or people in general. A few weeks after the interview I received the official job offer through their online web portal.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you were faced with a conflict with another person and how did you resolve the conflict.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for H&R Block

Tax Professional Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview

Initial hires must either take the Basic Course and pass with minimum 80% score or have three attempts to pass the Tax Knowledge Assessment exam. Returning employees must reapply every fall, will have an interview with the District Manager covering the previous year's performance and coming season's expectations.

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Tax Professional Interview

Interview

The interview process was fairly short. They just wanted to know my work history and asked various questions about my past experience. They also explained the expectations of the job.

Negotiation

There isn't any. The salary is the same for everyone. The only potential to earn more is based on number of tax returns completed and years of service.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at H&R Block (Knoxville, TN) in July 2014.

Interview

I had a behavioral type interview and the interviewer was very thorough and personable. I answered the questions honestly. I also impressed here with some of my experiences like handling an emotional client, even-though the manager was getting upset I remained calm and was able to help him finish his return satisfactory.

Interview Questions

• It was the question about marketing. I was not expecting a marketing question at a tax preparer interview.   1 Answer

Negotiation

She was very helpful and got me in contact with an office closer to my house. The pay rate may be lower, but I will have less commute time and less fuel expense.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at H&R Block (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

I had to complete a 2 month tax course with a satisfactory score of 70%. The interview was in group form which was my first experience at that. They just asked basic questions such as why I wanted the job and to tell about an experience of how you handled a disgruntled customer.

Tax Professional Interview

Interview

An interview for tax professional position should be fairly simple and easy since there is a few month tax prep training beforehand. The interviewers I had began with a casual conversation, and after few questions regarding office location and schedule, they asked general tax questions such as filing status, deduction, and credits.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers chose tricky questions related to QC, QR, HH, and EIC, which are widly covered in the tax prep training and are frequently encountered in actual tax prep with clients.   Answer Question

Tax Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H&R Block in December 2012.

Interview

I completed and passed the tax course. Then applied to work there. I got an email the next week to come for an interview. Two people interviewed me. It was pretty simple. They asked basic questions .

Interview Questions

• They asked if I had experience working with people before, my availability, would I mind relocating.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block (Jackson, MS) in July 2011.

Interview

Went to their on-site job fair, filed the application, interviewed by two persons. Very basic behavioral questions like, leadership, conflict questions.

Interview Questions

• tell me a time when you cannot meet a client's expectation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paintsville, KY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block (Paintsville, KY) in June 2011.

Interview

I answered an ad in the local paper and came in to speak to the manager about being hired. She set up an interview on the spot and had me fill out an application. They were in dire need of tax professionals so the process was overall very lax and informal.I then attended the income tax course a month or so later.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for H&R Block?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiating. You're really not supposed to negotiate your pay initially. However, over the years I learned if you wanted something, you had to ask for it because they wouldn't give it to you for your hard work.

Tax Professional Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at H&R Block in December 2010.

Interview

I took the tax class. Then I passed all exams. Passed the interview and then I got an offer.