HARMAN

Updated Nov 22, 2014
Updated Nov 22, 2014

2.9

Software Team Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at HARMAN.

I received an unsolicited email from a company recruiter. After making email contact and learning a few details about the job, we arranged for a telephone interview. During the telephone interview we had a candid discussion about what I could do for the company and how the company could help me grow in my career. I was left with the feeling that the interview went well.

The next stage of the hiring process was to take an online skills test on standard C++. The test was very hard. It was full of questions with unusual and esoteric snippets of code that you were asked to analyze and state what the results would be. Even though I am a professional programmer with 15+ years experience using C, I totally bombed the test.

I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions
    • The entire online skills test was very difficult. Only about 1/3 of the questions were 'sensible'. The remainder of the questions presented you with odd bits of code, classes with upside down copy constructors wrapped in sideways templates. Predicting the results of these snippets was difficult. My only thought was that this was a blunt tool if you were looking for a manager position. As a manager, if an engineer showed me any of the code from that test, I would mentor him on the importance of writing code humans can read and understand.   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HARMAN in October 2014.

The interview process went as follows:

Applied on-line for the position.

Phone interview with HR representative a few days later.

Phone interview with hiring manager the following week.

Phone interview with colleague of hiring manager the next week.

In-person interview with hiring manager and an additional manager the week following.

Notified by phone the next week they were going with a different candidate.

Global Product Line Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at HARMAN in February 2014.

The hiring process was professional, organized and moved along quickly. Contacted by a recruiter. Interviewed with the General Manager of that business segment. Had a followup interview with HR personnel. The interview was an open conversation/summary of my past experience then a discussion on market trends/product strategy. Overall, the process was very good.

Interview Questions
    • If you oversaw this business area, what specifically would you do to achieve $XX in revenue within 2 years?   Answer Question

After careful consideration the position just wasn't the right fit for me at that time.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at HARMAN in November 2013.

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn
    Phone interview: Resume review, HR questions
    Online Coding Test: simple, 3 questions to code in 30min.
    Phone interview by principal SE: Questions on previous projects, questions on teamwork
    Onsite: Scheduled, yet to go for onsite interview

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at HARMAN in October 2013.

3 interviews and one in person. Really nice folks to talk with

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HARMAN in September 2013.

1. Written Test
               Create a hash map iterator
               Binary Search
               Algo to print 1 to 100, but replace 5 by five, 10 by ten and 15 by fifteen
    2. Onsite: 3 Technical Rounds
              Fibonacci Series
              Find a loop in linked list
              Number from 1 to 1002 stored in an array, two duplicates. Most efficient method to find the duplicate. And what other data structure would be good
              Question on threads
    3. Interview with VP
              Personality related questions
              How to improve join efficiency in huge tables

Technical interviews were not very tough but VP screening results is most denials. We proceed to different levels of interview based on the performance of the previous one. Recruiter said VP said no to my candidacy

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected Question: VP asked to give a situation where my opinion was different from what others said. The situation could be technical or non-technical   Answer Question

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at HARMAN.

1.In depth java conceptual interview round.The interviewer was encouraging and a interviewed on some good java concepts.
    2.Again a java conceptual interview
    3.Onsite : programming interview,lunch

Didnt get reply .So followed up.I was told that I might have to give another round.
    Didnt hear back after 2 more follow ups nor did they call for another round. The entire process seemed very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question as such.The level of interview questions was mediocre.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at HARMAN.

The process was a complete horror story.

Interview Questions
    • Provide us with examples of a powerpoint presentation on performance management that you did?   View Answer

What a bunch of stupid, ignorant people. My experiences borders on discrimination!

Associate Engineer - Software Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at HARMAN.

3interviews seem to be typical. One is with HR, one is with the hiring manager and he usually brings in with him another manager and one is usually with members of the team you will be working with. Sometimes when they are not sure which group you will fit in then you only interview with hiring managers from different groups. The interview is usually have technical questions and half soft skills and team player type of questions.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an overview of yourself and what interests you.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HARMAN in May 2013.

Interview process was way too lengthy. It began with a phone screen, an online test, and a technical phone interview. It then proceeded to an on-site interview with 4 engineers and 1 manager. Be prepared to go through multiple tests, from GRE type questions (yes! strange I know) to coding implementations. I must have passed these because the process then moved to stage two.

Stage two involved a lengthy code implementation type test through email (design, implement and compile a template-based linked list to manipulate and sort a given input file, according to certain supplied restrictions). Once I passed this, I was then scheduled to interview finally with the Division boss, who apparently makes the final hiring decisions. That interview though technical, was more ad-hoc, amorphous and very general. I thought it went well. But anything general is also subjective. Needless to say, I was not hired. The entire process lasted for more than 3 weeks.