HARMAN Interview Questions

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at HARMAN in November 2013.

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn
    Phone interview: Resume review, HR questions
    Online Coding Test: simple, 3 questions to code in 30min.
    Phone interview by principal SE: Questions on previous projects, questions on teamwork
    Onsite: Scheduled, yet to go for onsite interview

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at HARMAN in October 2013.

3 interviews and one in person. Really nice folks to talk with

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HARMAN in September 2013.

1. Written Test
               Create a hash map iterator
               Binary Search
               Algo to print 1 to 100, but replace 5 by five, 10 by ten and 15 by fifteen
    2. Onsite: 3 Technical Rounds
              Fibonacci Series
              Find a loop in linked list
              Number from 1 to 1002 stored in an array, two duplicates. Most efficient method to find the duplicate. And what other data structure would be good
              Question on threads
    3. Interview with VP
              Personality related questions
              How to improve join efficiency in huge tables

Technical interviews were not very tough but VP screening results is most denials. We proceed to different levels of interview based on the performance of the previous one. Recruiter said VP said no to my candidacy

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected Question: VP asked to give a situation where my opinion was different from what others said. The situation could be technical or non-technical   Answer Question

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

I applied through college or university - interviewed at HARMAN.

1.In depth java conceptual interview round.The interviewer was encouraging and a interviewed on some good java concepts.
    2.Again a java conceptual interview
    3.Onsite : programming interview,lunch

Didnt get reply .So followed up.I was told that I might have to give another round.
    Didnt hear back after 2 more follow ups nor did they call for another round. The entire process seemed very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question as such.The level of interview questions was mediocre.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at HARMAN.

The process was a complete horror story.

Interview Questions
    • Provide us with examples of a powerpoint presentation on performance management that you did?   View Answer

What a bunch of stupid, ignorant people. My experiences borders on discrimination!

Associate Engineer - Software Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at HARMAN.

3interviews seem to be typical. One is with HR, one is with the hiring manager and he usually brings in with him another manager and one is usually with members of the team you will be working with. Sometimes when they are not sure which group you will fit in then you only interview with hiring managers from different groups. The interview is usually have technical questions and half soft skills and team player type of questions.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an overview of yourself and what interests you.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HARMAN in May 2013.

Interview process was way too lengthy. It began with a phone screen, an online test, and a technical phone interview. It then proceeded to an on-site interview with 4 engineers and 1 manager. Be prepared to go through multiple tests, from GRE type questions (yes! strange I know) to coding implementations. I must have passed these because the process then moved to stage two.

Stage two involved a lengthy code implementation type test through email (design, implement and compile a template-based linked list to manipulate and sort a given input file, according to certain supplied restrictions). Once I passed this, I was then scheduled to interview finally with the Division boss, who apparently makes the final hiring decisions. That interview though technical, was more ad-hoc, amorphous and very general. I thought it went well. But anything general is also subjective. Needless to say, I was not hired. The entire process lasted for more than 3 weeks.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

They sent me a test to be completed in 45 minutes.
    Then had a phone call. There were some interesting high level questions. It was only because of that call that I decided to go on site. But I was heavily disappointed.

Onsite -
    HR - typical HR questions
    technical - very easy questions. These guys do embedded systems so they don't use stl/boost. More of low level C.

Interview Questions
    • most "difficult" question involved implementing binary search. so you can imagine the easier ones. I did not get the offer maybe because I probably came off as arrogant or demanded a high salary but I wouldn't have accepted it anyway. Entry barrier to get in is just too low plus embedded systems is too dry for my taste.
      Been 2 months and I am still waiting for reimbursement))). So be careful with them.
        Answer Question

SummerNavigation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HARMAN in April 2013.

Recruiting HR contacted me via LinkedIn. After reviewing my resume and writing one simple code question they schedule an interview with senior software engineer. Interviewer was nice. He asked some basic questions and some of the advanced questions in C++. I would recommend applicant to learn all the concept of C++ from learncpp.com. Then he gave one situation and asked what would be my approach. After one week I got offer.

Interview Questions
    They have fix pay standard. No negotiation possible.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HARMAN in April 2013.

Applied online
    Got a mail from Harman, that I will get a Technical questionnaire on C/C++ to fill.
    The very next day they mailed me a Technical questionnaire which was to be completed in 35 minutes. Though I managed to complete it within 15-20minutes.

Mix and match of C/C++ questions

Create a Hash-map iterator
    Code was given , to find out what algorithm is being implemented
    Some question on how to print a specific numbers out of a given numbers.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer was asking about Design Patterns, I never worked on it   Answer Question

Worked for HARMAN? Contribute to the Community!