HARMAN

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Vernon Hills, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HARMAN in September 2013.

Interview Details – 1. Written Test
           Create a hash map iterator
           Binary Search
           Algo to print 1 to 100, but replace 5 by five, 10 by ten and 15 by fifteen
2. Onsite: 3 Technical Rounds
          Fibonacci Series
          Find a loop in linked list
          Number from 1 to 1002 stored in an array, two duplicates. Most efficient method to find the duplicate. And what other data structure would be good
          Question on threads
3. Interview with VP
          Personality related questions
          How to improve join efficiency in huge tables

Technical interviews were not very tough but VP screening results is most denials. We proceed to different levels of interview based on the performance of the previous one. Recruiter said VP said no to my candidacy

Interview Question – Unexpected Question: VP asked to give a situation where my opinion was different from what others said. The situation could be technical or non-technical   Answer Question

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

New Grad Software Engineer
Vernon Hills, IL

I applied through college or university and interviewed at HARMAN.

Interview Details – 1.In depth java conceptual interview round.The interviewer was encouraging and a interviewed on some good java concepts.
2.Again a java conceptual interview
3.Onsite : programming interview,lunch

Didnt get reply .So followed up.I was told that I might have to give another round.
Didnt hear back after 2 more follow ups nor did they call for another round. The entire process seemed very unprofessional.

Interview Question – No difficult question as such.The level of interview questions was mediocre.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Vernon Hills, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HARMAN in May 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was way too lengthy. It began with a phone screen, an online test, and a technical phone interview. It then proceeded to an on-site interview with 4 engineers and 1 manager. Be prepared to go through multiple tests, from GRE type questions (yes! strange I know) to coding implementations. I must have passed these because the process then moved to stage two.

Stage two involved a lengthy code implementation type test through email (design, implement and compile a template-based linked list to manipulate and sort a given input file, according to certain supplied restrictions). Once I passed this, I was then scheduled to interview finally with the Division boss, who apparently makes the final hiring decisions. That interview though technical, was more ad-hoc, amorphous and very general. I thought it went well. But anything general is also subjective. Needless to say, I was not hired. The entire process lasted for more than 3 weeks.

Interview Question – GRE type tests were unexpected.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

SummerNavigation Interview

SummerNavigation
Vernon Hills, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HARMAN in April 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiting HR contacted me via LinkedIn. After reviewing my resume and writing one simple code question they schedule an interview with senior software engineer. Interviewer was nice. He asked some basic questions and some of the advanced questions in C++. I would recommend applicant to learn all the concept of C++ from learncpp.com. Then he gave one situation and asked what would be my approach. After one week I got offer.

Interview Question – STL in C++..   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They have fix pay standard. No negotiation possible.

Very Easy Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

Interviewed at HARMAN

Interview Details – They sent me a test to be completed in 45 minutes.
Then had a phone call. There were some interesting high level questions. It was only because of that call that I decided to go on site. But I was heavily disappointed.

Onsite -
HR - typical HR questions
technical - very easy questions. These guys do embedded systems so they don't use stl/boost. More of low level C.

Interview Question – most "difficult" question involved implementing binary search. so you can imagine the easier ones. I did not get the offer maybe because I probably came off as arrogant or demanded a high salary but I wouldn't have accepted it anyway. Entry barrier to get in is just too low plus embedded systems is too dry for my taste.
Been 2 months and I am still waiting for reimbursement))). So be careful with them.
  Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for HARMAN? Contribute to the Community!

HARMAN Videos

HARMAN – Why Work for Us?

​​ARE YOU READY TO GIVE A LEGENDARY PERFORMANCE?​​ ​ HARMAN is the parent company behind an array of world-renowned brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, JBL®, Mark Levinson®, Lexicon®, and Infinity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HARMAN interview questions and advice in Vernon Hills, IL. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by HARMAN employees and interview candidates.