HARMAN Interview Questions & Reviews in Vernon Hills, IL

5 interviews

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HARMAN in September 2013.

1. Written Test
               Create a hash map iterator
               Binary Search
               Algo to print 1 to 100, but replace 5 by five, 10 by ten and 15 by fifteen
    2. Onsite: 3 Technical Rounds
              Fibonacci Series
              Find a loop in linked list
              Number from 1 to 1002 stored in an array, two duplicates. Most efficient method to find the duplicate. And what other data structure would be good
              Question on threads
    3. Interview with VP
              Personality related questions
              How to improve join efficiency in huge tables

Technical interviews were not very tough but VP screening results is most denials. We proceed to different levels of interview based on the performance of the previous one. Recruiter said VP said no to my candidacy

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected Question: VP asked to give a situation where my opinion was different from what others said. The situation could be technical or non-technical   Answer Question

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at HARMAN.

1.In depth java conceptual interview round.The interviewer was encouraging and a interviewed on some good java concepts.
    2.Again a java conceptual interview
    3.Onsite : programming interview,lunch

Didnt get reply .So followed up.I was told that I might have to give another round.
    Didnt hear back after 2 more follow ups nor did they call for another round. The entire process seemed very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question as such.The level of interview questions was mediocre.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HARMAN in May 2013.

Interview process was way too lengthy. It began with a phone screen, an online test, and a technical phone interview. It then proceeded to an on-site interview with 4 engineers and 1 manager. Be prepared to go through multiple tests, from GRE type questions (yes! strange I know) to coding implementations. I must have passed these because the process then moved to stage two.

Stage two involved a lengthy code implementation type test through email (design, implement and compile a template-based linked list to manipulate and sort a given input file, according to certain supplied restrictions). Once I passed this, I was then scheduled to interview finally with the Division boss, who apparently makes the final hiring decisions. That interview though technical, was more ad-hoc, amorphous and very general. I thought it went well. But anything general is also subjective. Needless to say, I was not hired. The entire process lasted for more than 3 weeks.

SummerNavigation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Vernon Hills, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HARMAN in April 2013.

Recruiting HR contacted me via LinkedIn. After reviewing my resume and writing one simple code question they schedule an interview with senior software engineer. Interviewer was nice. He asked some basic questions and some of the advanced questions in C++. I would recommend applicant to learn all the concept of C++ from learncpp.com. Then he gave one situation and asked what would be my approach. After one week I got offer.

Interview Questions
    They have fix pay standard. No negotiation possible.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

They sent me a test to be completed in 45 minutes.
    Then had a phone call. There were some interesting high level questions. It was only because of that call that I decided to go on site. But I was heavily disappointed.

Onsite -
    HR - typical HR questions
    technical - very easy questions. These guys do embedded systems so they don't use stl/boost. More of low level C.

Interview Questions
    • most "difficult" question involved implementing binary search. so you can imagine the easier ones. I did not get the offer maybe because I probably came off as arrogant or demanded a high salary but I wouldn't have accepted it anyway. Entry barrier to get in is just too low plus embedded systems is too dry for my taste.
      Been 2 months and I am still waiting for reimbursement))). So be careful with them.
        Answer Question

Worked for HARMAN? Contribute to the Community!