HAS

Relevance Date Difficulty

Trainer Interview

Trainer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HAS in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted a few weeks later to schedule a phone interview.
For this, the hiring manager used a modified "topgrade" style screening and asked me to predict what my bosses for the last decade would rate me on a scale of 1-10 and why. When I answered "10" for one of them, she immediately stopped me and said "What's his phone number? I'm going to call him." I told her that I was looking up his number right then and she said "Nevermind that now. We can get it later." Oddly, the phone number was listed in the original application and she already had it. I was also asked to list my strengths and weaknesses.
The manager told me that they are a great team, have had this job posted for a very long time, and are looking for someone who can fit in with their "wonderful" group. I interpreted this to mean that they are being so picky that they're having trouble filling the position and other issues emerged during the interview process, which I will get to.
About a week later, I was contacted to visit the airport headquarters for a panel style interview with the training director and 3 other trainers. They took turns asking me questions for about an hour. I was told by the phone scheduler that it would be a topgrade interview, but it really wasn't at all. When I was asked if I had any questions, I asked the manager "What is your leadership style and what type of employee works best with it?" She responded "Oh, you're going to interview ME now?" Strange.
What bothered me was that during the interview it became clear that they were really looking for an instructional designer-someone to strictly design e-learning, but the job posting/description did not emphasize that or make it very clear. Not only do I not really have the skill set for that, I wouldn't have applied for a job limited to just instructional design. It was a waste of my time and theirs. I'm also confused why they focused so much on what previous bosses think of me during the phone portion and less on my skill set for the position. They are VERY focused on what your previous supervisors think of you and told me that they would call each one.
This department thinks very highly of themselves and are using a weird-modified version of the topgrade interview technique and not implementing it correctly. Unfortunately, the HAS is not a fortune 500 company and doesn't really have the resources, money, or time to do real topgrading. The process falls short and no wonder they're having trouble filling the position. The phone interview did not screen me well and they did not clarify on the phone that this would be so much e-learning design-even when I asked specifics about the job.
I never heard back from them. Not a rejection, not an offer-nothing. Very unprofessional.

Interview Question – What would your last decade worth of bosses rate you on a scale of 1-10?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at HAS in May 2009.

Interview Details – Simple application online. I got a phone call interview in return that was basics about my resume. It was not detailed to my job. I was made a summer intern offer afterwards.

Interview Question – What makes you good for this internship?   View Answer

Airport Operations Supervisor Interview

Airport Operations Supervisor
Houston, TX

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at HAS in October 2009.

Interview Details – Very standard questions testing integrity, decision making ability, some work aptitude questions. Very standard, very dry.

Interview Question – Do you think people are responsible for their actions or are sitations responsible?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is nonexistant. I was not happy with the so called pay raise and requested another review was given the age old "well this is standard for this position."

Worked for HAS? Contribute to the Community!