HBK Capital Management Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at HBK Capital Management in February 2015.

Is was relaxing starting with some behavioral questions and followed by technical ones. The interviewer asked about implementing a function that verifies whether a binary tree is a binary search tree or not.

Software Engineer Interview

The first round basically goes through your resume and ask you technical questions. I did not code but explain my idea to interviewer. It lasts about one hour. The interviewer says there will be next round after 2 or three days and it will be fully technical in coding. The next round might take your three or four hours to finish it.

Risk Management Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at HBK Capital Management.

I got a phone interview from them.
    They just went through my resume.................................................................
    The manager sent me a email and schedule a appointment.
    Some one in the risk management team give me a call and interview me for about 1 hour

Interview Questions
    • every question is about my resume. not very unexpected   Answer Question

Risk Management Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HBK Capital Management.

Initial Communication: University hiring
    Number of Interviews: 1
    Mode of Interview: Telephonic
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Interview Questions
    • 1. Where was S&P500 and Dow Jones in the morning?
      2. What is the highest position in a career in Risk Management of an employee?
      3. How many risk metrics do you know of?
      4. Is VaR additive?
      5. How many trading strategies do you know of?
      6. What is convertible arbitrage?
      7. How many greeks of European option do you know? What do they intuitively signify?
      8. How do greeks change with time?

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at HBK Capital Management.

The interview was a 1-on-1 interview and highly technical. As soon as it started, technical questions were asked on data structures and algorithms; after those, I was asked one behavioral question and allowed to ask questions on HBK. It was casual and everyone was very nice.

Interview Questions
    • Given two linked lists of different length, find the first node in common if they have one in common.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at HBK Capital Management in September 2014.

On-campus interview, I got their emails after the career fair. The interview lasted for about 45 minutes. A few behavior questions at first, and then two technical questions. The interviewer asked about finding duplicates in two linked lists and finding the lowest common ancestor. The interviewer was nice and gave me hints to approach the optimized solution (I think that's also the reason why I didn't pass the first round though).

Software Development Interview

I applied online – interviewed at HBK Capital Management.

Applied the position through university career center system. Got response from HR in about one week and scheduled a phone interview. Phone interview process lasted about 40 minutes. Asked about basic c++ questions, projects on the resume and one algorithm questions. The coding question is find two elements in an array which sum equals to a target number.

Interview Questions
    • I mainly use Java, not very familiar with c++. Therefore, no doing well in c++ part. And I think that's why they turned me down.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed by two nice persons, in the first 10 minutes, they asked me about some experiences shown on my resume, especially a course project. After that I was asked two algorithm questions, codes were required to be written on the paper. in the last minutes I was asked a simple question. Totally, I wanna say It's a common IT interview, but a more comfortable and relaxed one.

Interview Questions
    • Did you go to the info session yesterday? I seemed did not see you.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at HBK Capital Management in September 2013.

They came to Rice and gimme an on-campus interview. As all other investment companies, they claim they are the best of the world, they beat Goldman Sachs, well, what can I say? The recruiter is a software engineer but in a cold manner and just above average skill.

Interview Questions
    • How you tell if a positive number is a total square (4,9,16...) ? Notice that a square number is the summation of odd series ( 9=1+3+5, 16 = 1+3+5+7), so I thought to do minus is better that division. However, the recruiter never heard this! I guess that's why I've been ignored!

2 of my friends passed their 2nd turn coding test and went to on-site, 1 got an offer. And then HBK asked him for 3 recommendation letters, he did, and next morning he've been rejected!

This kinda company is definitely on your first-ignored-list

View Answers (2)

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HBK Capital Management in March 2012.

I did two phone interviews and one on-site interview at their headquarters in Dallas. The phone interviews were more biased towards past experience than technical prowess. The on-site interview was similar and a very nice experience overall. Spoke with many people across many different levels of the firm.

The people I interviewed with were very nice and very kind about my concerns with potentially moving to Dallas. The office and work culture are excellent (casual and god-awfully spacious) as are the workplace perks (big cafeteria, gym in the building, etc.)

Interview Questions
    • Discussed some technical and implementational experiences from past projects.   Answer Question
    • Went through some general questions regarding AD, Windows Server 2003/2008 and File and Print Services.   Answer Question

Found another firm that was a better cultural fit.