HBO Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.8

Receptionist/Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at HBO (New York, NY).

Interview

I interviewed for the position through a temp agency who hires HBO's admin workers. The interview was very conversational, and the questions were very basic. Unfortunately I didn't receive an offer because they hired someone who had previously held the position.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at HBO (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I was referred this job through a friend and was lucky enough to score an interview. Unfortunately HBO uses HireVue to screen their candidates.

Basically you prerecord your interview online and submit your responses to HBO to review. The process seemed unnatural and impersonal and it most likely showed in my interview. The questions were easy enough however it was an awkward process.

My main gripe with HBO is that there has been no feedback given since my initial interview. I find it very unprofessional that a company cannot even send an automated email if you have been unsuccessful, especially if you have already interviewed with them.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a trainer had to cancel a training course at the last minute?   Answer Question

Post Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at HBO (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Not pleasant.

Interviewing with the VP / Post Production (at the time) involved what I could only describe as accusatory. Rather than discuss the particulars of the project under consideration, it moved straight into hypothetical questions & answers. Trying to accommodate, I asked for some parameters as to genre, budget, etc. I was told this was just 'hypothetical' so such parameters did not matter. So I provided shotgun answers, then was told those solutions were not within the parameters.

In short it was the interview equivalent of 'bait-and-switch.' No matter the answer provided, it was going to be unacceptable. Clearly this person had someone else in mind for the position, and I could only surmise that it was too late to reschedule. To this day I'm still puzzled as to why this person wasted both our times.

Interview Questions

• They asked about positions I held on projects, from my resume, which was right in front of them with the position next to the project. It was bizzare.   1 Answer

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at HBO (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for 2 roles. The feedback from the first role was positive, however it was filled and the company decided to consider me for another role in the company. It started out with a phone interview and the next step was to bring me in to meet with the hiring manager. For both, i was invited back to meet the Director and higher peers. The experience was positive. The process took over a month, & I accepted with another company.

Affiliate Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HBO (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a very out going interview, no serious questions. Just basic behavioral questions and background questions. There was actually 4 different people you get interviewed by. The first person is more of a pre-interviewer asking you if you have questions about the rest of the interview process, then on to a 2 on 1 group interview, and a 1 on 1 interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at HBO.

Interview

They were pretty efficient during the interview process. Started with phone interviews and then in person interviews. Covered travel expenses for non-local candidates. They have you meet with a lot of people, but most were conversational and didn't have anything too difficult. They tend to be in frequent contact (too frequent at times) and very eager when they get to the end of the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, why do you want these job, how would co-workers describe you, etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HBO.

Interview

The interview process was very quick. I applied online and then received an email to schedule a phone interview within a week. The same day I had my phone interview I received another call to schedule an on-site interview for the following week. Exactly 7 days later I received a verbal offer, in which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• None, whatsoever. Every question that was asked was standard behavioral questions (Tell me about a time when, etc.)   Answer Question

Technical Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at HBO (Seattle, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

Interview process is not clear. Newyork HR called up to schedule a interview with director in newyork. Cleared that easily and next interview with other tech managers via video chatting. That went pretty well. There was confusion between teams between seattle and newyork.
    After a week,got a call to schedule with VP in Seattle in seattle for a tech screen. Went in for in person tech screen. Top management from hbo seattle are from microsoft. First question is that did u work in microsoft? He gave one coding exercise.it did not go pretty well. It was very weird to judge a candidate by one coding excercise.

Interview Questions

• Rock, scissors, paper, nuclear weapon. Given any list of them,find the best item that wins other over other.   2 Answers

Programming Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at HBO in November 2014.

Interview

Turned in an application on there site, totally forgot about them Since I head no word from them. After about 1.5 months I got an email out of no where saying what was my availability for the following week. After I sent that I off I got an email at saying I would get a call for an interview the following day. The interview was a bit wonky, I had to be on the phone at the same time as use this third party site to code for them. Thank goodness I had a blue tooth. Overall the interview as about average we talked a bit back ground and such then I was asked to do a technically questions followed by we getting a chance to asked a question are two.

Interview Questions

• So the tech Question I was asked was given a string print out all the permutations of said string.   1 Answer

Santa Monica, CA Interview

Interview

Sent an email twice by the same person, via a generic (cut & paste) email stating: 'I oversee recruitment for all staff positions ...... I came across your resume during my search for a position I am currently recruiting for............The hiring manager has seen your resume and is interested in having you interview. .....schedule a time for you to come in. You and I will also meet to discuss your background, interest in the position......'

Responded back on two occasions for two different jobs that this recruiter reached out to me about spanning over 4 months and never received a reply. Why even bother even sending out an email in the first place. Naturally this person was very, very busy!