HBO

Updated Dec 5, 2014

2.8

Technical Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at HBO in November 2014.

Interview process is not clear. Newyork HR called up to schedule a interview with director in newyork. Cleared that easily and next interview with other tech managers via video chatting. That went pretty well. There was confusion between teams between seattle and newyork.
    After a week,got a call to schedule with VP in Seattle in seattle for a tech screen. Went in for in person tech screen. Top management from hbo seattle are from microsoft. First question is that did u work in microsoft? He gave one coding exercise.it did not go pretty well. It was very weird to judge a candidate by one coding excercise.

Interview Questions
    • Rock, scissors, paper, nuclear weapon. Given any list of them,find the best item that wins other over other.   View Answer

Programming Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at HBO in November 2014.

Turned in an application on there site, totally forgot about them Since I head no word from them. After about 1.5 months I got an email out of no where saying what was my availability for the following week. After I sent that I off I got an email at saying I would get a call for an interview the following day. The interview was a bit wonky, I had to be on the phone at the same time as use this third party site to code for them. Thank goodness I had a blue tooth. Overall the interview as about average we talked a bit back ground and such then I was asked to do a technically questions followed by we getting a chance to asked a question are two.

Interview Questions
    • So the tech Question I was asked was given a string print out all the permutations of said string.   View Answer

Santa Monica, CA Interview

Sent an email twice by the same person, via a generic (cut & paste) email stating: 'I oversee recruitment for all staff positions ...... I came across your resume during my search for a position I am currently recruiting for............The hiring manager has seen your resume and is interested in having you interview. .....schedule a time for you to come in. You and I will also meet to discuss your background, interest in the position......'

Responded back on two occasions for two different jobs that this recruiter reached out to me about spanning over 4 months and never received a reply. Why even bother even sending out an email in the first place. Naturally this person was very, very busy!

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at HBO in July 2014.

Pre-interview homework assignment on requirements gathering for a fictitious product. Once approved via phone screen, you get a half-day interview with the entire team. You should have a very good background on requirements gathering and breaking down a product to it's core features. Think broadly and don't try to implement on the whiteboard.

Interview Questions
    • First hour was general questions from the team. Then they broke into a 5 person panel to build a product from scratch. Very specific, need to focus on the basics of requirements gathering and understanding the needs of the stakeholders.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at HBO.

i interviewed with a senior-level engineer, a software architect, and a manager. I also took a written programming test. The interview process was probably a bit easier than those of other companies I was interviewing at at the time.

Interview Questions
    • What design pattern is most like a constructor method?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter. The call was brief, about 15 minutes. She asked all the standard questions, starting with the basic "tell me about your experience and how that related to your goals at HBO". Then the recruiter told me more about the position, and I asked some questions, etc.

Anonymous Position Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at HBO.

Contacted by Recruiter to forward Resume. Invited in for Interview with HR & Hiring Manager. HR never even took the time to meet with me and just passed me along to Hiring Manager. I was told that the interview with the HM went well but was not notified until two weeks after initial interview. 3 weeks later (5 weeks after initial interview) was told an additional round would be coming up soon and they wouldn't bring me in unless they want to go further with me as a candidate. A month after that was asked to interview another round with another Manager via (Phone). Didn't hear anything back until a month later informing me that i was still being considered a TOP candidate. Fast forward two weeks and I receive a communication from HR that i was still being considered but nothing was "happening internally and there were no updates". I was informed then informed about two weeks later they would like to hold another round of interviews on site and that would be held in three weeks. Interview appointment was made to meet with 2 Managers, 1 Associate, 1 VP, went on interview and had believed things went fine. Prior to leaving interview I should have asked when a decision would be made and what would happen but never did and basically they didnt even mention anything about making a decision even though this process was going on for approximately 5-6 months. To sum it up, this was a very annoying, long drawn out process dealing with this company and I more than likely would have turned down the offer if I have received one. I understand companies are taking their time hiring in this current job market but still this was just ridiculous. I don't believe they have yet to even hire anyone for this position and they ever plan to. HR was very inconsistent with their communication and although they seemed enthused every time they spoke on the phone with me, it seemed to feel very disingenuous and almost like an act. I would also like to say that this company will be losing a ton of great candidates due to the inefficiency of the HR division.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at HBO.

The internal recruiter was the weak link in the interview process. He took a very long time to follow up and return calls. Recruiter stated that after round 2 interviews there would be a final round, and he would schedule for early the following week. Never heard from him. After several follow up calls and emails he finally answered and seemed to forget where we were in the interview process. The culture seemed great but the recruiter most definitely was not on his A game. I believe he will cost them many great candidates as in my experience.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all easy. Study the job description and know how to apply your experience to the responsibilities.   Answer Question

Intern for DND Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HBO in March 2014.

Two step process - once with HR and then another time with the actual department I was applying for. I applied through a staffing agency, so I'm not sure if that changes things but my interview was very relaxed. Each one lasted no longer than 20 minutes. Everyone involved in the process was very nice and easygoing.

Software Engineer - HBO CodeLabs Seattle Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at HBO in February 2014.

I had an informational (90 minute) meeting with one of the hiring managers.

The interviewer was quite polite. She was very enthusiastic about HBO, its TV programming, streaming services, and future. Many of the higher-ups at the Seattle office are ex-Microsoft employees - specifically from the Xbox division and some of the MS game studios. Hence, after talking with him, it became very clear that their software development methodology was the "game studio" model of development. That is, no coding standards ("we're working on a coding standard"), fast-paced environment ("we put wheels on all the desks so we can move people around to different project groups often" ), and likely as a sink or swim environment.

One odd thing about their culture - they don't seem to recognize that HBO2GO's requirement that a customer must be a cable TV subscriber as an issue for expanding their business. Both the recruiter and interviewer had emphasized repeatedly that "we're better off than Netflix because we own our own content". The interviewer emphasized that this would allow them to develop expanded content for streaming services, second screen experiences, etc...

We did a coding exercise. I won't divulge the question except to say that it was easy coming up with the O(n-squared) solution, and impossible for me to see the O(n) solution. And I'm usually good at seeing the optimal answer early with these types of questions. The interviewer gave a fair hint and I flubbed the subsequent implementation when I tried to optimize my solution. And before I knew it, the interview as over. The interviewer picked on my coding style a bit - including the use of extra temp variables - which from my experience was a good thing. Ironic given that they don't have a coding standard. I wasn't having my best interview day and the company might not have been a fit for me in any case for other reasons.

The last time I conducted a job search several years ago, I buried myself in my office for weeks practicing all the known coding questions, brushing up on CS fundamentals, algorithms, and areas specific to the job I was interviewing for. At the time of this interview, I had only a casual interest in this job after the recruiter reached out to me, so I didn't prepare going into it like I had done before.

It will also have helped if know everything there is about Game of Thrones and True Blood - the interviewer did have some subtle questions that tested my knowledge of their TV shows.

So if you really want to work as a software developer at HBO, you better bring your A-game, even for the first interview round. Write production code on the whiteboard when given a chance.

Pros: Seems like an exciting startup environment with a fun Hollywood side to it. If you are smart, like the hacker environment, and enjoy non-stop coding without anyone telling you how to design your stuff, you may enjoy working at HBO.

Cons: Don't expect any career growth or manager opportunities. Their management structure is extremely flat.