HCSS Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2015

3.1

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HCSS in April 2015.

Interview

On-line business math test, HR phone screen, hiring manager phone screen. Planned an on-site presentation to management, and technical in-person panel interview, but the organization changed and the position was closed before it was filled.

Interview Questions

• From the on-line (timed) test, compensation questions such as - If you started making $50K/year, then got 5 consecutive/annual 10% raises, how much would you be making per year? If you get $50K/year base plus 2% commission on a $500K target, with 2 weeks of paid vacation, and the company pays $1200/month for medical/dental/vision, what is your total annual compensation? There were also sales total deal size and project planning type math questions.   Answer Question
    • From phone screens - What have you done recently? What value would you bring to the position?   Answer Question

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HCSS (Sugar Land, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted an application through the website, and before they would review my credentials had me take a timed math test. It took about 30 minutes to finish, and consisted of word problems. Some questions were harder than others, but overall it's not too bad. I then received a call from their HR recruiter two days later to schedule a phone screening. The call lasted approximately 15-20 minutes. One week later I received an email requesting a second interview in person at their office. Upon arriving for scheduled interview, the person at the front desk had me take a second math test consisting of simple world problems. Like the others reviewers stated, it was much easier than the first and took less than ten minutes to complete. The front desk employee then graded my exam, said that I passed, and that I could then start the actual interviews. Apparently if you do not pass the test then they send you home and there is no interview. The interview consisted of me talking individually with four different managers and supervisors one-on-one. Each interview lasted approximately 45 minutes. The questions were all pretty standard fare. It was clear that none of them had looked over my resume until a few minutes before meeting me. I felt the interviews went very well and that I connected with all of the managers except for Sophie from HR. At the end of each interview they asked me if I had any questions. I asked Sophie about turnover for this particular position, which may have been a mistake. Her reply was as follows: "Most turnover at HCSS is not because people quit, it is from termination. If we feel you are not a good fit for the company culture or you do not meet your benchmarks within the first month or two, then we will just terminate you and find someone more qualified. We have lots of qualified applicants ready to move to this position." It was a bit surprising to say the least, and raised a few red flags indicating that this is probably not somewhere I want to work. I received a rejection letter by email two days after, which to be honest was a bit of a relief.

Interview Questions

• What are three characteristics that your manager would use to describe you?   Answer Question
    • How do you stay on top of your technical skill set outside of doing your day-to-day work?   Answer Question
    • What do you like to do outside of work that is unrelated to your career?   Answer Question
    • Talk to me about the software products we offer and what they do. (You should be able to name a few and know what their purpose is. This seemed fairly important to them.)   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at HCSS (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, and then took their online math assessment. I got an auto-response thanking me for taking the test and to check back for a status update. I checked every day for 6 days and it always showed, "We're reviewing your submission." Actually, I think that the person who checks the online applications was out of the office since it was spring vacation. Finally I received an e-mail saying, "Thanks for applying but you were not among the top candidates who applied." I appreciate that at least they let me know. Many reviewers on this site have said that they heard nothing back.

Interview Questions

• Look at the "Careers" page on the company site. The first sample question is right in line with one of the questions on the test (it's a little tricky.)   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HCSS in November 2014.

Interview

After passing their first "logic" test I received a prompt call the next day. I had a brief phone interview that seemed to go well then an email. I called to follow up with no response back. I would've liked some advice on what caused them to pass on me.

Interview Questions

• The logic test was difficult at first. I haven't used that part of my brain in a while.   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HCSS in October 2014.

Interview

I was given an online math test with 15 word problems and it was timed. I wasn't even warned about the nature of the test so I didn't have a calculator or pen and paper ready. I happen to have a degree in math with several academic honors and I can tell you that the assessment test has many flaws. For example, the test gave the problem in units of 1/6 mile and later asked how far something traveled. Did they want the answer in units of 1/6 mile or the number if I convert that to miles? There were many other questions that were not specific as to what they wanted. Each question was badly worded and it would be nice if I could just tell them how I interpreted the question and how I would go about solving it. But they wanted just the number in the blank. Obviously this test weeded out an experienced web developer with problem solving skills and a math degree. I finished the test with plenty of time remaining. The test was online and graded immediately. It took a second to report that I did not meet the minimum requirement.

Interview Questions

• In a class, there are 40% boys. 30% of the students have blond hair. There are 3 times more blond girls than boys. What is the percentage of blond boys?   1 Answer

Quality Control Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at HCSS.

Interview

My situation was a little bit different because I started as a summer intern for the company, then interviewed for a full time position. For the internship interview, I first took a test online. It was pretty easy basic math, but apparently many people don't do well on it. After that I interviewed with one of the project managers as well as the head of the department I would be working in. When I interviewed for my full time job, I interviewed with 3 different executives, all separately, and two guys who would be my peers if I got the job. They evaluated my skills by having me spot problems on a screen from the software.

Interview Questions

• You don't learn QA in school. Why do you think you're a fit for the job?   Answer Question

Quality Control Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at HCSS (Houston, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

I found the job listing on Craigslist and Reddit. They held two open houses where potential candidates got to take the tour of the company, learn more about them, what they do and the opportunities available. I attended one of them and something was just off about the work atmosphere. It's as if they tried very hard to imitate Google's office experience and failed miserably at it. Nonetheless, I still applied for the position and had to take a math test online, which was very easy. I got a phone call almost a month later asking more about my resume, my skills and if I am still looking for a job. Then they scheduled me to a peer interview the following week. At the peer interview, I was given a test and about 20 minutes to finish it. The test was to find and write down what I think are bugs on a particular piece of the software. After that, I had a 2-on-1 interview for about 45 minutes. The questions were very generic ones (what are your strengths?weakness?why quality control?why HCSS?) and after that, I had an another interview with the recruiting manager who asked me the same questions again. At the conclusion of that interview, the recruiting manager told me that I should be hearing back from him within a week, either via email or phone call about the next step which is a formal interview with the CEO and other VPs. I was also asked if I would be interested in doing tech support which I respectfully declined. Before I left, I had to do that same "challenging" math test again and this time on paper to verify that it was indeed me who took it online. I never received a phone call or email from them.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HCSS (Sugar Land, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

Apply online, 8th grade online math test, phone interview with HR rep, then six in person interviews with several VP's, CEO, and HR manager. Interviews not overly difficult, however I don't think HCSS management knows what they are looking for, so finding the right candidates is impossible when you don't internally define desired candidate attributes. They brag about only hiring 1% of applicants, I think this is actually a negative for the company. There process prevents them from hiring talented people.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions focus on past work vice focusing on how I could help them solve current problems. Or move the company forward in a positive direction. They should focus more on skills that can solve future problems.   Answer Question

Multiple Positions Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at HCSS.

Interview

Take an online test. Phone interview. In office interviews -- plural -- stay longer than expected. Come back and interview with more people again. Lengthy process.

Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HCSS (Houston, TX).

Interview

You have to pass a test to get an interview. The test is very simple but you must do well on it to be considered. I had no issues communicating with HR and scheduling an interview. The interview process was not very stressful. I spoke with three different people but did not have a highly technical interviewer.