HDR

Updated Jan 9, 2015
Updated Jan 9, 2015

2.7

Entry Level Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at HDR.

I applied online the HR called me in 3 days to set an appointment for phone interview.I had an interview on phone with of company hiring managers and engineer. They were really friendly and repeat their questions for me .

Public Involvement Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at HDR in November 2014.

November 2014 - Went in for 2 interviews -- one with Hiring Manager and one with Hiring Manager and the department(Public Involvement) and everything seemed likely that I would get the position.

After a week, I received a call that I did not get the position because I was 'too overqualified' and then mentioned that they could create a position for me but it would be in Minneapolis, MN. I told them that I was interested and they said they would get back to me. I waited after Thanksgiving break and followed up and the hiring manager still said that the position has yet to be created and that she would get back to me the next year (2015) and follow up with me. I responded that this sounded good and was just trying to be patient with this whole process, especially when the hiring manager apologized for this process not moving faster.

I emailed the hiring manager Jan. 5th and when I didn't hear back from her by Jan. 7th, I called and actually spoke to her. She told me that there hasn't been anything new regarding the opportunity and that she would get a ahold of me if anything changes.

So, to sum it up, I didn't get offered initial position because I was over qualified and they offered me a position (that hasn't been created) in another city and they have not been doing anything since the middle of November. It's now January 7th of 2015.

Furthermore, this company has always interested me and I wanted to hold out for the opportunity to work with them but to be treated like this I am very discouraged and disappointed.

Interview Questions
    • The hiring manager and team look at your resume and experience thoroughly and ask about your experience and give the chance for you to ask them questions as well. Pretty relaxed.   Answer Question

Senior CAD Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at HDR.

Referrals are very nice to have here and they are given a lot of weight. HDR employees get a link from a job posting and can e-mail that to you. They can get a referral bonus for doing this. 1. Submit contact and work history information through website. 2. Phone interview. 3. In person interview, maybe twice. 4. Offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult project you worked on. I had no trick questions or brain games to answer. Straight forward.   Answer Question
    It was over e-mail. Then they sent an offer letter.

Engineer In Training Interview

Contacted by recruiter because my resume was forwarded to her. Scheduled a phone interview within the week. The interview was with engineers and not HR, which was fantastic to learn specifics about the position right away. No surprise questions, really basic things related to your projects and background.

Architectural Coordinator II Interview

Started with an internship that i was offered due to my mentor being the principle at the firm. I did not follow the traditional approach. But the interview process is usually an interview at the office where you meet the team you will be working with and followed by a tour of the office.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated a signing bonus after asking for more pay offered me a signing bonus instead

Mechanical Engineer In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HDR in June 2014.

The interview process was fantastic! The three guys who interviewed me were pleasant and the environment seemed relaxed. They brought me outside since it was such a nice day. Over-all I felt very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you got into a bind in the workplace. How did you go about working it out?   Answer Question

Civil EIT Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at HDR.

I applied online and the hiring manager gave me a call a few days online. We scheduled a phone interview as I was not able to make it on time. After the interview a HR rep called me for some post-interview screening, so I thought things looked up. I didn't hear from them for a few weeks, till I emailed them and they told me that someone else had already been hired to fill the position. I think they should have at least sent me a rejection email when they made the decision to hire the other person

Electrical EIT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HDR in April 2014.

Initial response through e-mail and set up phone interview with HR person. After that, set up interview in person. A second interview was then arranged. After the second interview, they never got back to me. Even though I followed up properly after each of the three interviews, they did not even just send a polite letter to let me know they decided to pursue other candidates.

Interior Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at HDR in April 2014.

I had an interview in the interiors department at HDR a few months ago. It was a little awkward at first, but I just jumped into showing them my work. They seemed very quiet and reserved and that is not really my personality. I was looking for something a little more exciting.. in both my future coworkers and the projects that I would be working on... both were kind of bland.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't really ask me many difficult questions. They asked me about my current work experience including; project types, project load, how I was with juggling multiple projects.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at HDR.

Process began with resume and profile creation on HDR website. Soon after, 2 days, submission I received a call from a HR person to clarify some details and get a few specifics. After another very short wait, a few more days, I received an invitation for a phone interview with the direct supervisor of the position.

Phone interview consisted of the usual general introductions, me detailing my relevant experience thus far, and the supervisor describing the type of projects they are currently working on along with why they are looking to hire. Overall the phone interview seemed to be a formality and I got very little information out of the maybe 35 minute conference call.

VERY quickly after the phone interview the HR representative began probing for possible dates for a in person interview. After ironing out dates and details I quickly received confirmation of flight, hotel, and vehicle rental.

Should note here that aside from the flight the actual charges for the car rental and hotel were placed on a personal card, later expenses were submitted and reimbursement was rapid.

In person interview consisted of a quick lunch with the direct supervisor and a colleague. Conversation was very informal and friendly, with most topics being on previous experience and general knowledge of the type of work. After lunch a formal interview process was conducted with 3 additional higher-ups. Questions during this process were a bit more formal and very generic (e.g. So why do you want to work here? What is the general project process where you currently work? etc...).

Finally a quick tour of the office was given and I was sent on my way.

I feel I should also mention the timeline of the visit: I was flown out on a Friday very early, after a short trip to the hotel I immediately left for the interview location. Interview lasted maybe 3 to 4 hours. Hotel and vehicle were provided through Sunday and flight back was scheduled for late afternoon Sunday.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your current project organization process from beginning to project letting.   Answer Question
    Offer was extended fairly quickly, however, was low. Negotiation was possible and resulted in receiving minimum amount to consider position.