HEINEKEN USA

Updated Dec 5, 2014
Updated Dec 5, 2014

3.6

Director, Project Delivery Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HEINEKEN USA in November 2014.

Long and tedious interview process. You would think you were applying for the astronaut training program. Here's what to expect: Personality Test (online), Cognitive Reasoning test (timed online). Think mini-SAT type of tests. 2 Phone interviews minimum. If you're still going...you qualify for the onsite interview. You'll need to prepare a 5 - 10 minute presentation on a topic of their choosing (generally your approach to doing the job), you'll deliver that presentation to panel, and then answer situational & behavioral questions from that panel in their format.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions asked one after the other by the panel. You'll need to think fast.   View Answer

Category Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at HEINEKEN USA in October 2014.

Recruiter contacted me. The entire process took 4 weeks. The process was for a phone screen with 1) HR manager, 2) then hiring manager, 3) then hiring manager peer. After that they require 2 online assessment tests for personality and intelligence (Wonderlic). The Wonderlic is supposed to be completed without the aid of a calculator or computer. Then had in person panel interview with 4 people: HR manager, hiring manager, sr director and account manager. They require you to prepare or bring in a presentation that you have done to sell in something (limit to 5 minutes). Everyone read a question based on their objectives such as be brave,,,give an example of a time... The questions needed to be answered in the STAR format. The panel interviewers were flat and impersonal - very hard to get a read on exactly what they needed, what the job was or how they felt about you. They were great at answering with non-answers which is probably the first clue as to the outcome.

I spent a lot of time on all the phone interviews and in person interview including the assessment tests. Then when I sat down for the in person they couldn't remember where I was located. I felt like they knew the outcome before I even started. The outcome is that they passed on all the candidates they met with that day (at least me and 2 others) and restarted the job search. Beware bogus positions and interviews to just "get an idea" of candidates without any plans to make an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Given we are #4 in the beer business (in US) what approach would you take with the business?   View Answer
    • Given you are an expert in many areas, what would you do to improve yourself?   View Answer
    • Give an example of a time you were brave.   Answer Question

IT Position Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at HEINEKEN USA.

I had 2 phone interviews and 2 in person. Phone interviews were very short and basic. Easy. Both managers were very polite and professional. In person interviews were not that hard either. Made the interview very comfortable and smooth for me.

Interview Questions
    • Give some examples of providing solutions.   View Answer
    Negotiated price. They agreed and matched. Good bonus also.

Marketing Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at HEINEKEN USA in June 2014.

Went through HR screen, 2 phone interviews, final panel interview. Panel interview is hard, need to be prepared to discuss situations throughout your career that you have experienced their 4 Pillars. Need to answer all questions in the STAR format (Situation/Task, Action, Result). 8 of these questions were asked in total. Need to come in with plenty of examples.

Presentation portion of the panel interview was interesting- I think they only cared that it stayed under 5 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time that you were brave and went against the grain and achieved great results.   Answer Question

Senior Director, Commercial Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at HEINEKEN USA in May 2014.

I applied online...it took at least 2-3 weeks for HR to reach out for initial interview. Had to complete online personality test and IQ test. Had phone screening with HR, then went on to interview in person with the Hiring Manager. The interview went very well...great discussion, no tough questions...all based on personal experience. From there I was advanced to the panel interview. Had to prepare a 10 min presentation with content I felt was relevant to the position. The panel interview was a series of scripted behavioral questions which needed to be answered in the STAR format. Everything went very well....the panel participants were very nice. A week later I was told by HR that the panel HR person felt I did an excellent job but the Hiring Manager didn't think I had the right experience.

Interview Questions
    • no difficult questions - just research top behavioral interview questions online and prepare personal/real experience stories that can be altered to answer the questions.   Answer Question

Category Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at HEINEKEN USA in July 2013.

The whole interview process for me took 4 months. It was abnormal considering that the group is spread out across the country so getting an in person interview took a while. I had 4 phone interviews and one in-person panel interview. The panel interview can be a little intimidating at first because you don't know what to expect, but it makes sense when you do it.

Total length of the panel is 2 hours. You meet with 4-5 people in a conference room. You can stand or sit, doesn't matter really but the idea is that you have a 5 minute presentation using the S.T.A.R. approach: S-Situation, T-Tactics, A-Actions,R-Results. Basically you talk about an issue that you faced in a prior role, what sorts of tactics/actions that you took to meet that issue, and what were the end results. This can be a change of attitude by the retailer or a sales increase. Then each interviewer fires off 1 or 2 questions at you regarding your prior experience that specifically touches on the their cultural pillars, using their STAR approach.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult/unexpected question was regarding fire drills. They wanted to know what you would do given a last minute request that was absolutely due even with a full work load.   View Answer
    I didn't really negotiate.

Category Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

The hiring process can take a while, ranging from a month to several months. When I went in, it took almost 4 months before they gave me an offer. I had at least 4 phone calls, one of them lengthy that ran for an hour and a half. There's a lot of standard interview questions.
    The tough part is presenting at the interview. They do a panel interview style where you're in a room with 4 other people that basically fire questions at you after your 5 minute presentation. They do what they call the S.T.A.R. approach which is Situation, Tactics or Actions, Results. I think it's an awesome system because it helps you organize your thoughts. After you present, they ask you a series of questions and they want you to answer in that way using real life experience.

Interview Questions
    • "Say you have multiple projects going on and a good chunk of them are due on Friday. A person runs into your office and says that they need you to run an analysis and have it done for them by Friday. How would you approach this and what would you do?"   View Answer
    My recruiter did most of the negotiation so I had little influence on that part.

On Premise Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at HEINEKEN USA in August 2010.

Several interviews and a few month length is the usual hiring process. The final interview will include a verbal presentation to test your presentation skills.

Interview Questions
    • None - As long as you are familiar with the beer business.   View Answer
    easy, their benefits and perks were good so no need for big negotiation

Consumer Insights Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HEINEKEN USA in March 2009.

Several rounds of interviews - first with HR, then with hiring manager and then lastly a panel interview and with CMO. They are very selective in their hiring. The hiring manager had me meet with 8 other people so expect this to be a long and draining process. However, once they have made their decision they move quickly. Expect usual battery of questions (about yourself, strengths and weaknesses, accomplishments, lessons learnt from past failures etc.) if you are applying for a marketing role, expect Marketing strategy questions as well as brand most admired and why, best commercial and why liked etc.

Interview Questions
    • Example of failure and what you learnt from it.
      Example of managing an opinionated individual who is a senior level manager in the organization

Answer Question
    Negotiate to the end. if they really want you they will pay top dime!

Consumer Insights Analyst Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at HEINEKEN USA in December 2009.

I submitted my resume online and it took a couple of weeks for them to get back to me. I went in for a full day of interviews--4 interviews in total including one with a member of HR. The questions were not really too difficult. Mostly asked about my marketing experience and also some ideas that I had for Heineken. I asked for feedback when they said I didn't get an offer and they said that everyone else who applied was from industry so they felt that experience was more relevant.