HGST Firmware Engineer Interview Questions

2.0

Firmware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HGST in January 2012.

Interview

Contacted by hiring manager for a phone interview. Interview involved basic C questions like what is volatile, static etc. Called on-site for 6 rounds of one on one interviews with engineers. engineers were really friendly and explained everything about what the team does. Basic coding questions, nothing really hard or unexpected. Binary Search Trees, Linked list sorting etc. Interviews are nothing out of the box. Just get the basics clear before you go for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were straight forward. Tricky one was checking if the word in a linked list was a palindrome or not. Every character is in a node. The condition was that no extra space was allowed.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiated the base package. Tough to negotiate with them.

Other Interview Reviews for HGST

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at HGST (San Jose, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Got contacted by recruiter via linkedin. HR called first followed by Hiring Manager. They asked about my current job and my work/skills background. I worked for another storage company so the skill set needed for HGST job was exactly my work profile in my current job. They scheduled in-person interview and flew me in their San Jose site. Interview process was good, got interviewed by members of team I was supposed to join. Got interviewed by 6 team members and HR. Hiring manager took me for lunch in their cafeteria. He was friendly. The only aspect I did not like is that I was interviews by less experienced people than me. 2 interviewers out of 6 had less than 2 yrs of experience. I suppose their team had only 6 members and they had no other option. Everything went smooth except I did not get offered $$$ which I had in mind. I would have accepted the offer if they offered me 10K more.

Interview Questions

• They kept asking me why am I leaving my current company.   1 Answer

Their offered salary was less than I was expecting.