HGST Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2015

2.5

Engineering Tech Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at HGST.

Interview

Can"t comment and can't not elaborate more about the process did not experience to be in in the process was too long and too many interviewer too technical

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at HGST (San Jose, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Requested numerous interviews in person. Despite positive feedback, sudden cancellations. No response or feedback, complete silence.Even after agreement for an offer, no follow-up. Did not hear back for months. Constantly being told positive feedback and then that the team was re-evaluating. Lack of transparency, communication, and direction.

The positive side, some team members were nice. However that is overshadowed by the unprofessionalism and disrespectful way candidates are treated.

Interview Questions

• The usual - strengths and weaknesses, what could you see yourself doing better, what has been your experience in storage.   Answer Question

Offer was not in range of what we discussed, disrespectful of potential employee's time, lack of transparency, indecisiveness, and only cer

Engineer Interview

Interview

easy and diverse questions

Firmware Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at HGST (Rochester, MN) in October 2014.

Interview

I was emailed and asked to come in for an interview. Was promised no technical questions, but was asked some easy-ish questions on OS and data structures. I had another offer, and they were able to expedite getting me an offer very fast, which was very nice as I really wanted to work there but could not turn down a sure thing.

Interview Questions

• 1. Analyzing Big O of the algorithms I had used in projects
      2. What possible data structures could I use to handle translation from logical address to physical address?

Answer Question

Negotiation

I had another offer. Recruiter beat it by about 10%.

SSD Firmware Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at HGST.

Interview

Got a call from HR, he asked me suitable time to talk to manager. Got a call from manager, asked me about my past work experience. Got another call from HR to confirm my availability and negotiate the salary. It was extremely easy

ASIC Verification Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at HGST.

Interview

Be thorough in the basics especially Digital design concepts, your projects etc. Able to code in verilog. FSM concepts and should be able to code. Should know perl basics. basic computer architecture concepts should be known.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HGST.

Interview

Process was normal. HR recruiter will call and screen you, then hiring manager, then onsite. Questions where typical why should we hire you and why you want to work here. Phone interviews where less than 30 minutes and onsite was 4 plus hours long.

Interview Questions

• Not one question was difficult just the length of the process.   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HGST.

Interview

There were 2 phone interviews (first with HR and the next with the hiring manager), followed by an on site interview. The phone interview with the hiring manager was very thorough and detailed. The on site interview to the contrary was very casual. HR was very disorganized with the process and seemed to have a communication gap with the hiring team. In addition they did not offer to pay for costs associated with on site interview (commute costs). In addition, the HR person was very aggressive (for example she would call three times in a row if I didnt answer the phone before leaving a message).

Interview Questions

• All the questions were behavioral questions - What is your greatest failure?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at HGST in February 2014.

Interview

Interview was spread out in 2 days. The last interview was supposed to be on Phone from a Director. She didn't called me, neither the interviewer was reachable on phone. The recruiter told me that she will get back to me, didn't. They didn't respond to my email and didn't pick up my phone either. Another week later, I used a different number to call and got the recruiter and then he told me that they have identified someone else for this position. I got this sense from day 2, but why are they to reluctant to provide me a 1 line answer? WEIRD. There is something dysfunctional somewhere.

Interview Questions

• All questions were based on experiences from my resume.   Answer Question

Software Tools Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HGST (San Jose, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview was 5 hours long including lunch. I spoke to about 6 people; each person was from a different department. There wasn't much technical questions and I didn't feel grilled at all.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about creating the software tools for the company?   Answer Question