HGST Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.6

SSD Firmware Interview

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at HGST.

Got a call from HR, he asked me suitable time to talk to manager. Got a call from manager, asked me about my past work experience. Got another call from HR to confirm my availability and negotiate the salary. It was extremely easy

Material Science Engineering Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at HGST in February 2011.

The hiring manager haven't even read my resume and wasn't interested in the process as he probably has already chosen a candidate among the group that he plans to screen. Obviously,he already has a candidate in mind to hire. Added to that,the hiring manager was boastful and showed me his superiority complex.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HGST in February 2013.

It was a typical interview process. Recruiter arranged an interview schedule with about 6 people, about 30 minutes person on site. Basically took a whole day. Overall experience was positive.

None

Senior Hardaware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at HGST in January 2012.

I sent my cv to my friend.
    After 2 weeks, Phone call to me without any notice.
    Then, I realized that it is a job interview.
    site interview is schedule 3 weeks later which was included presentation for my previous work.
    Then, job offer was provided after 2 weeks from site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Detail technical question which is not familiar with me.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate but I regret now.

ASIC Verification Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at HGST.

Be thorough in the basics especially Digital design concepts, your projects etc. Able to code in verilog. FSM concepts and should be able to code. Should know perl basics. basic computer architecture concepts should be known.

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HGST.

Process was normal. HR recruiter will call and screen you, then hiring manager, then onsite. Questions where typical why should we hire you and why you want to work here. Phone interviews where less than 30 minutes and onsite was 4 plus hours long.

Interview Questions
    • Not one question was difficult just the length of the process.   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HGST.

There were 2 phone interviews (first with HR and the next with the hiring manager), followed by an on site interview. The phone interview with the hiring manager was very thorough and detailed. The on site interview to the contrary was very casual. HR was very disorganized with the process and seemed to have a communication gap with the hiring team. In addition they did not offer to pay for costs associated with on site interview (commute costs). In addition, the HR person was very aggressive (for example she would call three times in a row if I didnt answer the phone before leaving a message).

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were behavioral questions - What is your greatest failure?   Answer Question

Direct of SSD Product Portfolio Management Interview

I applied online - interviewed at HGST in February 2014.

Interview was spread out in 2 days. The last interview was supposed to be on Phone from a Director. She didn't called me, neither the interviewer was reachable on phone. The recruiter told me that she will get back to me, didn't. They didn't respond to my email and didn't pick up my phone either. Another week later, I used a different number to call and got the recruiter and then he told me that they have identified someone else for this position. I got this sense from day 2, but why are they to reluctant to provide me a 1 line answer? WEIRD. There is something dysfunctional somewhere.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were based on experiences from my resume.   Answer Question

Principal Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at HGST in September 2012.

Lots of detailed questions on SSDs, problems, architecture, future, business outlook, how can we compete, what are the new areas of applications etc. past experiences in product management etc.

non negotiable

Software Tools Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HGST in January 2014.

The interview was 5 hours long including lunch. I spoke to about 6 people; each person was from a different department. There wasn't much technical questions and I didn't feel grilled at all.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about creating the software tools for the company?   Answer Question

Worked for HGST? Contribute to the Community!