HGST

Updated Nov 10, 2014
Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.5

Engineering Tech Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at HGST.

Can"t comment and can't not elaborate more about the process did not experience to be in in the process was too long and too many interviewer too technical

Engineer Interview

Firmware Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at HGST in October 2014.

I was emailed and asked to come in for an interview. Was promised no technical questions, but was asked some easy-ish questions on OS and data structures. I had another offer, and they were able to expedite getting me an offer very fast, which was very nice as I really wanted to work there but could not turn down a sure thing.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Analyzing Big O of the algorithms I had used in projects
      2. What possible data structures could I use to handle translation from logical address to physical address?

Answer Question
    I had another offer. Recruiter beat it by about 10%.

SSD Firmware Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at HGST.

Got a call from HR, he asked me suitable time to talk to manager. Got a call from manager, asked me about my past work experience. Got another call from HR to confirm my availability and negotiate the salary. It was extremely easy

ASIC Verification Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at HGST.

Be thorough in the basics especially Digital design concepts, your projects etc. Able to code in verilog. FSM concepts and should be able to code. Should know perl basics. basic computer architecture concepts should be known.

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HGST.

Process was normal. HR recruiter will call and screen you, then hiring manager, then onsite. Questions where typical why should we hire you and why you want to work here. Phone interviews where less than 30 minutes and onsite was 4 plus hours long.

Interview Questions
    • Not one question was difficult just the length of the process.   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HGST.

There were 2 phone interviews (first with HR and the next with the hiring manager), followed by an on site interview. The phone interview with the hiring manager was very thorough and detailed. The on site interview to the contrary was very casual. HR was very disorganized with the process and seemed to have a communication gap with the hiring team. In addition they did not offer to pay for costs associated with on site interview (commute costs). In addition, the HR person was very aggressive (for example she would call three times in a row if I didnt answer the phone before leaving a message).

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were behavioral questions - What is your greatest failure?   Answer Question

Direct of SSD Product Portfolio Management Interview

I applied online – interviewed at HGST in February 2014.

Interview was spread out in 2 days. The last interview was supposed to be on Phone from a Director. She didn't called me, neither the interviewer was reachable on phone. The recruiter told me that she will get back to me, didn't. They didn't respond to my email and didn't pick up my phone either. Another week later, I used a different number to call and got the recruiter and then he told me that they have identified someone else for this position. I got this sense from day 2, but why are they to reluctant to provide me a 1 line answer? WEIRD. There is something dysfunctional somewhere.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were based on experiences from my resume.   Answer Question

Software Tools Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HGST in January 2014.

The interview was 5 hours long including lunch. I spoke to about 6 people; each person was from a different department. There wasn't much technical questions and I didn't feel grilled at all.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about creating the software tools for the company?   Answer Question

Firmware Testing and Tools Internship/Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at HGST.

The phone interview was about 15 minutes and the interviewer was very nice. The questions weren't hard at all. They were mainly about what have been my favorite classes, projects I've worked on, what programming languages I knew. There were some questions about workplace situations and how I would handle them. A couple of weeks later I was contacted and asked if I would accept an offer. I said yes and they sent me some paperwork pertaining to privacy policies, and background checks. I signed and completed the forms and was hired on as an intern.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions really.   View Answer
    They just asked when I could start. In my opinion, pay was great so I didn't try to negotiate that.