HGST Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

2.3

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Tools Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HGST in January 2014.

The interview was 5 hours long including lunch. I spoke to about 6 people; each person was from a different department. There wasn't much technical questions and I didn't feel grilled at all.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about creating the software tools for the company?   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HGST in February 2013.

It was a typical interview process. Recruiter arranged an interview schedule with about 6 people, about 30 minutes person on site. Basically took a whole day. Overall experience was positive.

None

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at HGST in February 2013.

I was called and emailed by their HR guy who said they were interested in talking with me. After filling out and returning the application, background check and NDA we set up the interview. I met with HR first, then the department manager and then 3 department engineers.

Interview Questions
    • No typical interview questions. It was more walking them through my resume and describing past projects.   Answer Question

Pricing Analyst/Volume Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at HGST in February 2013.

I applied online on the HGST careers page and I was scheduled to come on-site for an interview in about a month's time.
    The HR sent me a long list of forms to fill and also send me directions which were incorrect.
    The HGST campus is situated in Evergreen, San Jose. Its an amazing location, just at the foothills of green mountains.
    The interviews went really really. Since I came from the supplier side, I really knew what the company was upto.
    Interviews went well. I felt over-qualified for both roles. Both jobs didn't need an engineering degree ad consequently the pay was very uncompetitive.
    After the interviews , I received zero communication from HR. I think HR is non-existent at HGST.
    Overall the work atmosphere seemed negative. After WD acquisition, many senior people were retiring and HGST is back-filling those positions with junior guys.

Interview Questions
    • How would you balance the product mix so that the company meets its revenue numbers while sales personnel meet their quota ?   Answer Question

Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HGST in October 2012.

I was contacted through a career fair. I had an email exchange via multiple departments which eventually let to a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Alot of the questions were just asking what I knew, types of equipment I had used, and which class work might be relevant. No behavioral questions, just technically sided inquires.   Answer Question

Legal Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at HGST in September 2012.

I applied online, was contacted on phone by recruiter, then asked to come in for 1/2 day of interviews (4 interviewers). I was asked questions pertaining to why I would want to work at Hitachi. They asked few questions; time filled with them describing current management, culture, and problems they faced.

Interview Questions
    • Asked why I would give up my current practice to work in-house? It was difficult to answer because after some of the interviewers description of the management, I honestly didn't.   Answer Question

Channel Mktg Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at HGST in August 2012.

Quickly set up a face to face interview

Senior Hardaware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at HGST in January 2012.

I sent my cv to my friend.
    After 2 weeks, Phone call to me without any notice.
    Then, I realized that it is a job interview.
    site interview is schedule 3 weeks later which was included presentation for my previous work.
    Then, job offer was provided after 2 weeks from site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Detail technical question which is not familiar with me.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate but I regret now.

Research Engineer/Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HGST in July 2011.

Phone call, on-site interview, seminar and full day of one-on-one interviews ranging from colleagues to upper management. This was for a research position. Had an earlier interview in development, there it consisted only with one-on-one interviews with each of the team members, 1st and 2nd line manager. half of the people knew me from my work or working together before so those interviews were very laid back. the interviews for Research was shortened because my plane was delayed. Same deal though, most people knew me or knew of me. Seminar was fun because there were a lot of questions.

Interview Questions
    • mostly technical questions, though nothing particularly hard. interviewed a few days after it was announced that Hitachi agreed to sell to WD. the question was why come work here now?   View Answer
    originally offered too low of salary. refused. asked what i would accept. told them, so they bumped me up to the next job title/classification and offered me the salary i wanted.

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at HGST in January 2011.

Got contacted by recruiter via linkedin. HR called first followed by Hiring Manager. They asked about my current job and my work/skills background. I worked for another storage company so the skill set needed for HGST job was exactly my work profile in my current job.

They scheduled in-person interview and flew me in their San Jose site. Interview process was good, got interviewed by members of team I was supposed to join. Got interviewed by 6 team members and HR. Hiring manager took me for lunch in their cafeteria. He was friendly. The only aspect I did not like is that I was interviews by less experienced people than me. 2 interviewers out of 6 had less than 2 yrs of experience. I suppose their team had only 6 members and they had no other option.

Everything went smooth except I did not get offered $$$ which I had in mind. I would have accepted the offer if they offered me 10K more.

Interview Questions
    • They kept asking me why am I leaving my current company.   View Answer

Their offered salary was less than I was expecting.