HM Treasury Interview Questions in United Kingdom

3.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at HM Treasury

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Policy Adviser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at HM Treasury in July 2014.

I applied for the role and was initially rejected. Out of the blue a month or so later, I received an email saying that despite having initially rejected my application, they had decided that due to a number of strong applications they had made a few more interview slots and I was invited to attend an assessment centre in a weeks time (very last minute notice!). The assessment centre consisted of a 1 hr 15 min written test, a 5 min presentation and 45 minute interview.

The general presentation topic was given in advance so you could do some background research, but the specific presentation question is given on the day. There's 45 mins to prepare for the presentation, during which time you are given a laptop to access the internet, a flip chart and pens. You then do the presentation in front of a panel of 3 senior Treasury people, who will cut you off at the 5 minute point. They ask a few questions about the presentation and issues surrounding the topic, then launch straight into the interview.

The interview is competency based and includes around 8 questions. The questions need you provide an answer that demonstrates your capability to fulfill a skill, and require a good example to show this. E.g. describe a time you had to build and maintain a relationship with key stakeholders, and how did you influence this relationship. You need a good example to show how you can do this. The questions are all quite difficult! Read through the compentency framework and think of examples you can use before going into the assessment centre.

For the written test we were given a laptop and brief. It consisted of writing a report for a fictional new Head of the Treasury, who wanted info on student loans and ways we might reduce the burden of them on the taxpayer. We were given about 9 different handouts (emails/news reports/articles etc.) all giving different ideas and opinions. The report required the info to be summarised according to the brief. It sounds easy enough but the handouts contained tons of info, with lots of facts and figures which was actually very difficult to produce any sort or report on in just 1hr 15 mins.

Some people did the written test first and then the presentation and interview, some did the presentation and interview first, followed by the written test.

Interview Questions
    • I cant remember as they were all very difficult and it was quite a blur. All are competency based questions.   Answer Question
    The offer they gave was very good and I didnt see the need for any negotiation.

Senior Adviser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at HM Treasury in November 2012.

Was interesting - Thought the structure was good and they make sure it is thorough.

Interview Questions

Worked for HM Treasury? Contribute to the Community!