HMSA Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.9

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HMSA.

Interview

Two separate interviews with three people each. The first interview was basically a personality test. We didn't talk about work at all. The second interview had one person who would ultimately be my supervisor with two other people that were reviewing my personality and said very little.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate for more and I would recommend others do the same since they tend to lowball people.

Corporate Writer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at HMSA.

Interview

I applied online and a month later received an email to schedule an interview. The interview was behavioral ("Tell me about a time when...") and took about 20 minutes. I was told that I was going to be contacted within a month or so to see whether or not I moved on to the second interview or was rejected. After I needed to do a mock press writing test, which lasted 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• If I contacted your current editor, what would he/she say would be your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at HMSA in January 2014.

Interview

I applied for HMSA without really getting a heads up on what type of unprofessional organization HMSA is. Applying for HMSA can either be lengthy or fast process depending on what department you apply for. I applied and the whole process took over 3 months. This was a position I was highly qualified for, so I called the HR department twice to see what happened to my application. They were really unhelpful in giving me a timeframe or an update on my application. I gave up hope on the application then two months came and surprisingly I got a call from HR. The HR admin told me the soonest I can interview was three weeks from this call date, because one of the managers I will be interviewing with is on vacation (yup the HR admin told me that). Two months of a wait game, then another three weeks of a wait game added until the interview date. Then one month (post interview) of waiting for a response, so all in all it was actually four months wasted. Without even going to the interview you can already sense that this organization and department has issues. As one person on glassdoor put it; "Expect your job to be contracted externally in a couple of years as management continues to slowly realize that most of their staffed workers do not posses the minimum requirements to do their jobs proficiently." This really says something.

At the end of the day did I really want to work for this kind of organization after receiving such poor treatment and priority during the interview process? The answer is no. I really hope other people don't experience this poor interview process at HMSA or any organization for that matter.

Interview Questions

• The questions were straightforward such as tell us about yourself and your background. Why did you choose HMSA? Basically it was a interview to see if you have a pulse and weren't just a proxy applying on the system.You can feel that the interviewers did not like working for the organization and have this "I'm trapped here kind of look".

I got another offer and decided due to the poor conduct and treatment I would not be accepting the offer at HMSA.

Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in February 2012.

Interview

I went through three interviews one of which was a team interview. I interviewed initially with the department manager and he asked me detailed questions about my experience and approach. I also interviewed with the Vice President before being introduced to the team in a team interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to detail my approach to solving interpersonal conflicts on project teams which was only difficult due to the broad nature of the question. A scenario would have helped me give a better answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation. They presented me with a salary and indicated it was what they were prepared to support.

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in November 2011.

Interview

I waited three months before contacting HR regarding my application. I receieved and interview where the supervisor conducted a 30 minute interview. There were no formal questions about my qualifications for the position. We discussed my work with former employers and a general discussion about the position and the department.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific project or accomplishment that you are proud of?   1 Answer

CR Teleservice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in January 2011.

Interview

casual, brief, I cant remember is was a long time ago, casual Friday, so boss was dressed in a tourist aloha, shirt, very friendly, no stress. can you talk, that's about it

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in February 2008.

Interview

This position at HMSA required two 1:1 interviews on two separate days. I was called in initially to meet with the manager, then I had to come in for a second interview to talk with the Supervisor, the person that I would be dealing with on a day to day basis. Both employees were friendly and the questions were fairly standard.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work outside of normal office hours (i.e. weekends/evenings for special events)?   Answer Question
    • What interests you about the healthcare industry?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate.

Support Specialist Interview

Interview

There was a simple phone interview first that basically just went over my resume. After that had an in person interview with the supervisor and manager. It was very basic with the supervisor asking most of the questions. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as interview questions go (Tell me about a time when you had to think of your feet... how do you stay organized...etc). 2-3 weeks later I received a call back with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult or unexpected. Studying up on basic interview questions will be sufficient preparation although, as they say you can never be too prepared.   Answer Question