HMSHost

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Anonymous Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at HMSHost.

Interview Details – Had a prescreen phone interview....interview next week

Interview Question – How long will the interview take and what do they look for in an employee?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HMSHost in January 2013.

Interview Details – Was referred by a friend and called in for a interview. Had to come back for a second interview because the original person that was suppose to interview me was not there. Came for second interview didn't get asked any questions just was told about the company and if i had any questions. At the end she liked that i smiled and hired me on spot. Had to fill out paperwork,finger prints, go to another site to do drug test within 48 hours, and was told i would get a call for orientation date when everything came back. Orientation was 3 days paid. After orientation went to our managers for schedule.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation pay set

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at HMSHost in April 2012.

Interview Details – I went to the Concessions job fair in hopes of getting in front of a hiring manager in regards to the management positions advertised online. I was told to go to the company website, because they had a lot of positions available. Within two weeks I got a call for a one-on-one interview. I felt a little rushed because I literally saw other candidates lined up in the bookstore waiting their turn. I was called back for a second and final interview a week later. It was a very detailed conversation with a lot of questions, but gave me a good understanding of the business.

Reason for Declining – I declined because I had a way better offer from The Paradies Shops. I would have to negotiate just for 40K, and I was making more than that at my previous job. Their benefits started within 45 days (for management!), their off days are split, except for when you get your weekends off, and they wanted a minimum of 50 hours a week. Better offers were on the table, woth more comprehensive benefits packages.

Bartender Interview

Bartender
Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HMSHost in April 2012.

Interview Details – After attending a job fair at the College Park Convention Center for airport jobs, I was contacted by a recruiter to interview. After interviewing with a manager one on one, I was offered a position in one of the new restaurants opening May 1st. I was instructed to take a drug test and be fingerprinted. However, that is where the process stops running smooth. I submitted to all of the tests approaching three weeks ago now and when I try to check the status, I am given the ole "don't call us, we'll call you" from virtually everyone in human resources. I understand they have a huge influx of new hires due to the number of people they needed to fill positions with. I just wish they would take the time to check the status of individuals who inquire. It's easy for them to say wait for the call because they are on someone's clock earning a paycheck. But for someone who has been out of work and diligently seeking it for the past three months, this hurts. Sill looking for my call to orientation to begin. Would love for it to be this week or early next... fingers crossed.

Interview Question – What are the greatest challenges presented as a bartender from a customer service perspective?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at HMSHost in April 2012.

Interview Details – I went to the Atlanta Airport Job Fair, which was conducted outside the airport in a trailer. After waiting in line for about 40 mins, I sat down with the manager for one of the concessions, and she explained that the new terminal will be opening May 16, 2012, and they are looking to fill 700 positions. She asked for my resume and begin to interview me. I felt really comfortable with her. After the interview I was offered the position of cashier. I was escorted to a room where I had to fill out paperwork. After the paperwork was filled out, I was instructed to go take a drug test at the AeroClinic inside the airport. I had 48 hrs to complete the drug test. After the drug test, I was told to go to the DOA to get fingerprinted(criminal background check). After the process, I was told it should take 5-7 business days to complete the process, and they will call me. It's only been a week since this happened, so now I am waiting for a call to get my orientation date.

Interview Questions

Shift Supervisor Interview

Shift Supervisor
Atlanta, GA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HMSHost in September 2011.

Interview Details – In order for you to be offered an interview, you must fill out an application via the internet. Once selected, you will asked to come into the employment office for an interview; expect not to be the only person for the interview, there is a "scheduled" crowd of potential employees. Managers and Senior Managers did an excellent job on staying on schedule with potential employees. Once called in for the interview, the managers were straight to the point. They explain the position(s) they were interested in hiring you for, its hours, its pay, its benefits, and the company's history. After the explanation, the interviewer asked basic interview questions such as experience in retail, warehouse and/or food and beverage, hours of availability, previous supervisory positions if held (preferred), "what would you do" questions, and personality questions. NOTE that any supervisor or manager positions required a two interview process; however, if all potential supervisor or manager interviewees are presented and early, interviewers will more than likely elect to perform a second interview the same day. And this will allow them to inform you whether or not you right for the job.

If hired on the spot, you will be asked to perform light paperwork consisting of your I-9 tax form, Airport Security badge application, and other paperwork requested by your hiring manager. NOTE that two forms of ID must be present in order for you to begin processing the same day, be fingerprinted in the Department of Aviation Security office, and etc. If you do not have two forms of approved ID, the hiring process will take longer than two weeks. Once you fill out all the requested paperwork in the employment office, you will be asked to take your badge paperwork to the DOA and you will be fingerprinted.

After being fingerprinted, take your paperwork back to the employment office and you will be instructed on what to do next.

You must take a drug test 24-48 hours after being hired. I would encourage you to do it after your interview. LabCorps is the mandated drug test site located at South Fulton Medical Center. Results will be sent to the employment office. After your results from the drug test and fingerprinting office comes back and you have been cleared, you will be called to come in and take your ID picture pending a customer service online class or security threat assessment. These classes are taken based on your ID classification and job position. This typically happens the day before the orientation. You MUST have your ID to get into orientation. AND you can't do it the day before due to orientation beginning before the DOA office opens.

On the day of orientation, you are paid based on your hourly wage. This, for me, was scheduled 8am to 5pm, but because everything went smoothly during orientation, the class was allowed to leave at 3:30pm. Orientation is two days long pending your position. On your last day of orientation, you are released to your unit (store/warehouse of employment) to attain your schedule.

This was roughly about a two week process. A HUGE piece of advice is to always ALWAYS ALWAYS have two forms of identification on you at all times during the hiring process; state issued ID, passport, birth certificate, and/or a social security card are all valid proof of IDs. All employment office staff and human resource staff members are all polite. Do not mix HMSHost staff with airport staff. I did have one encounter with a DOA office staff member who was rude in telling me she could not hear me. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for HMSHost? What is your reason for leaving your current employer or what was your reason for leaving your previous employer?   View Answer
  • What are looking for in the position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – What is to negotiate? Coming from a company that offer very low pay but high responsibilities and over worked staff, I wasn't up for negotiations. HMSHost offered me an "award."

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at HMSHost in March 2011.

Interview Details – It was conducted in a cramped trailer outside of Hartsfield Airport...that should have made me turn away.
The person that interviewed me was actually very nice, but that all changed once I accepted the job and started working for her.

Negotiation Details – Not available

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for HMSHost? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HMSHost interview questions and advice in Atlanta, GA. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by HMSHost employees and interview candidates.