HMSHost

Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HMSHost in May 2010.

Interview Details – 1 easy interview . Basic questions about customer service and scenarios of what you would do or how you would react. HR was nice and answered all my questions. I started working 1 week later and training lasted only 2 days.

Interview Question – why do you want to work here   Answer Question

Assistant Food and Beverage Manager Interview

Assistant Food and Beverage Manager
Elverson, PA

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at HMSHost in April 2014.

Interview Details – They interviewed me first in a small hotel room. They asked about what i like to do and the normal stuff. They then set up an interview with the District Manager and HR. During that interview they asked the same questions. Went on about how they value a life outside of work... Later i was told that was BS by the General Manager.

Interview Question – Would you call out someone in a higher position if they were doing something wrong?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they locked me in an office in the back of the plaza and went out to type up the offer and i accepted it.

Barista Interview

Barista
Elkhart, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HMSHost in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by the hiring manager a few days later. I went in for an interview at the location where I'd be hired. It was an extremely easy interview, probably the easiest one I've ever done.

She asked me about my previous experience which was on my resume, my availability, easy stuff. There was no difficult questions.

I was hired on the spot and was told it would take a few days to a week for the background check. After a week, I called to make sure things were still in the works, and the hiring manager said she hadn't gotten the BG check back yet but she'd let me know. A few days later she called me to come in for orientation.

Interview Question – There was nothing hard at all.   Answer Question

Barista (Starbucks Franchise) Interview

Barista (Starbucks Franchise)
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at HMSHost in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, was called 2 weeks later. It took about a week to go through orientation and do computer training. I started work 5 days after orientation.

Negotiation Details – none

Anonymous Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at HMSHost.

Interview Details – Had a prescreen phone interview....interview next week

Interview Question – How long will the interview take and what do they look for in an employee?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager II Interview

Assistant Manager II
Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at HMSHost in November 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process is fairly easy. If you have worked in the industry for a few years in a managerial capacity and are able to give appropriate corporate friendly answers during an interview, this is not a difficult job to obtain.

Interview Question – There is a question about what would you do when 5 different things happen on a crazy day. The idea is that you are able to correctly prioritize each item in their order of importance. Listen to all of the items before you start speaking and it is ok to ask for them to be repeated.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is a salary window for every position. This window is generally about 6-8K so always ask for a couple extra thousand more than is offered. Nobody gets offended and you will get an honest yea or no.

Server/Bartender Interview

Server/Bartender
Bloomington, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HMSHost in August 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online, was called for in-person interview at the airport, and told at the interview that I would likely get an offer from them. It took about a week after applying to get the call. The interview itself took place in a small office, I wasn't shown any of the restaurants of shops beforehand. They asked what area I'd like to work in (retail, food service, ect.), and how much relevant experience I had. The interviewer used my resume as a guideline and asked more questions about each job listed.

They do a drug test and background check since you have keycards to get around the airport. Also be ready to spend extra time going through security each day and then all the way to your station - you're expected to be at your station on time, not just the airport.

Interview Question – They asked about how much fine/formal dining experience I'd had. Since I had none, I hadn't even thought about that as an option, so I was a bit thrown. Because I looked unsure, I was assigned to a very casual restaurant, which was fine, but I would have made better tips at the fancier places.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't try to negotiate, but it's unlikely it would have worked. They are run by a union, which dictates very specifically pay and hours and time off. I was asked my availablility and which schedule I wanted. They have set schedules, where you have the same exact shifts every week for a year, then can bid for a new schedule the next year, based on seniority.

Starbucks Barista Interview

Starbucks Barista
Richmond, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at HMSHost in February 2014.

Interview Details – Saw several openings for Starbucks at YVR, first found them online while searching for jobs. Applied in person where I filled out a form and submitted it along with my resume. I had an one-to-one interview two days later -- first with the hiring manager and then the actual manager. Questions were very simple, general interview questions. After the interviews were over, I was told to wait about a week or so for a phone call.

Interview Question – Basic interview questions and one or two scenario questions, nothing that hard.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Barista
Dulles, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at HMSHost in November 2013.

Interview Details – After being screened by HR, I proceeded to meet with one of the Starbucks managers at HMSHost Dulles. A very outgoing and friendly man. Asked me questions about my resume and my goals at the company.

Interview Question – There wasn't really anything difficult regarding questions.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied online and interviewed at HMSHost.

Interview Details – Called me and told me an interview for specific day. Interview was an actual interview, told me a background check would be done in 2 weeks. It didn't come back until 4 weeks later when they told me to come in for training. Sat in the basement of the building and did 'computer' training for 8 hours. Initially just thrown in to where they want to put you and told you to figure it out, trained by other employees.

Negotiation Details – Didn't really have to do much negotiation.

Worked for HMSHost? Contribute to the Community!